The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

"Tail Pipe Junkies"

My youngest son (soon to be 29) used this phrase the other day, and it cracked me up. I've had several occasions where someone in my family was following me to get somewhere, and they have noticed that people follow as closely as 10 feet behind my truck, even when going 65 MPH in the #3 lane. Do our trucks emit some kind of special odor like a cat in heat that makes people follow so closely? I always thought that the Cheech and Chong routine about sniffing tailpipes was a joke. I don't care if people follow that closely. It's on them, if they hit the truck, and I can assure you that a direct hit will hurt them a lot more than it will hurt me.

Thoughts?

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #2
Chevyland

Re: "Tail Pipe Junkies"

My truck needs a new one
Attached Images

Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
BRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
...I don't care if people follow that closely. It's on them, if they hit the truck, and I can assure you that a direct hit will hurt them a lot more than it will hurt me.

Thoughts?
My thought is you are incorrect, if someone hits you, you can become very injured!

I am an 8 year Air Force heavy equipment operator, and apparently some idiots don't anticipate the possibility that you may have to slam on your brakes to avoid a new road hazard. (picture Bambi)

By the time they realize you are hard on your brakes, they are in your bed.

Ever been rear ended with a bench seat, when you didn't see it coming?

I love high back buckets!
BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

I feel like it's anything I drive. People have become more impulsive and mindless about driving, letting their tension transfer into their driving. They drive fast till thy run up on something, then ride too close as if they'll get there faster than if they allowed a safe distance and just took the opportunity to relax. It bugs me and I let people know by slowing down more and more till they get it. Just trying to make things safer for both of us by adjusting the speed for the proper distance. Nothing else intended

I'm a tailpipe junky in that where and how they exit is very important on every vehicle. Usually one of the first things I do on a truck is run new exhaust after selecting the most fitting exit for the vibe I'm after.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
My truck needs a new one
Dude, yer gonna die, with that many holey tailpipes. You have what, like 2 dozen trucks? Stop that!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
My thought is you are incorrect, if someone hits you, you can become very injured!

I am an 8 year Air Force heavy equipment operator, and apparently some idiots don't anticipate the possibility that you may have to slam on your brakes to avoid a new road hazard. (picture Bambi)

By the time they realize you are hard on your brakes, they are in your bed.

Ever been rear ended with a bench seat, when you didn't see it coming?

I love high back buckets!
I've been rear-ended twice, and fortunately only one caused permanent damage.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I feel like it's anything I drive. People have become more impulsive and mindless about driving, letting their tension transfer into their driving. They drive fast till thy run up on something, then ride too close as if they'll get there faster than if they allowed a safe distance and just took the opportunity to relax. It bugs me and I let people know by slowing down more and more till they get it. Just trying to make things safer for both of us by adjusting the speed for the proper distance. Nothing else intended

I'm a tailpipe junky in that where and how they exit is very important on every vehicle. Usually one of the first things I do on a truck is run new exhaust after selecting the most fitting exit for the vibe I'm after.
Heh, I was headed to my wood carving club yesterday morning, and once I got over the speed bump just past the local elementary school, some bimbo came off a side street and almost rear-ended me, she was in such a hurry. I instantly turned into a Tim Conway kind of old man (shuffle shuffle shuffle), creeping forward to the stoplight, and taking more than enough time to make certain that the traffic was clear.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #8
BRL

Oh, I would have just added a "ETA" to my post, but I have been rear slammed in a 1970 Nova with a bench seat, and although I didn't have the headrests up high enough, it was enough to save my neck from snapping.

WHEW!

Mandatory high-back seat picture post.

My stereo flippin' ROCKS!

BRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
Chevyland

Quote:
Dude, yer gonna die, with that many holey tailpipes. You have what, like 2 dozen trucks? Stop that!
At least
I’ll be dead
Instead of owning
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
At least
I’ll be dead
Instead of owning
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Before I retired, I used to car pool with a guy who just couldn't keep his phone in his pocket- texting all the time. We almost rear-ended somebody because he was looking at his phone instead of where he was going. I bagged on him several times, and his response was, "Well, my wife rides with me!", trying to shame me, I guess. I 'splained that she's stuck with riding with a knucklehead who doesn't care about her safety, either!", and terminated the carpooling. I drove to work solo for about another year and a half until I retired. The thing is, there are all kinds of crazies out there, just waiting to take you out with their bad driving, but if you ride with one of the crazies, you double your chances of getting hurt. Not worth it, to me. Maybe cost me $500 extra in fuel, in that time. I consider it a fair trade.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 PM   #11
Chevyland

An alternative
Is

Gaining traction
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #12
Wizo

Imagine how i feel when i'm driving my commercial semi for work? Sometimes they follow so close, even at 60mph, that all i can see is there mirrors sticking out.Or i have to zigzag to see if someone is behind me. Or look for the shadow of there car on the road. Kinda makes me wonder if they have a death wish. If the
D.O.T. catches me following a car that close it,s gonna be a pretty dam expensive citation, if I don't get my CDL suspended. But if your a car driver, ain't no big deal, I guess.
Wizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #13
davischevy

Quote:
My truck needs a new one
I'm all about baling wire.

Of course zip ties, sort of hurt baling wire sales.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #14
Chevyland

Or
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #15
FirstOwner69

Regarding tailgaters... I have been known to "manage" other drivers' speeding habits in residential areas. However, on 4 lane divided highways I let them drive any speed they desire. I figure they are "cop bait" that allows me to drive about 7 MPH over the limit.

Regarding "sniffing tailpipes"...Believe it or not, I used to work with a guy who liked to drive behind busses and semis because he loved the smell. And, that was before all the emissions reduction stuff was put on trucks!
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #16
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
Regarding tailgaters... I have been known to "manage" other drivers' speeding habits in residential areas. However, on 4 lane divided highways I let them drive any speed they desire. I figure they are "cop bait" that allows me to drive about 7 MPH over the limit.
I do this as often as necessary to ensure the safety of myself and my passengers. It's also kind of fun to watch the antics of idiots behind the wheel of their 3500 pound weapon of choice on the street they think they own.

If they take up all the space between them and my bumper, I take away the speed to match the distance between us so that it becomes safe again. Sometimes they figure it out, sometimes they don't.

What's really hilarious is when they figure out I'm one of their neighbors on their very own street too late and end up backing off my bumper about the same time I'm turning onto "our" street!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Those tailgate junkies have almost run me down with shopping carts at the grocery store a couple times this week. Darting around the store like no one else is going to be there. Slow down and back off you impulsive insect!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #18
davischevy

I'm going to start a thread called "Left Lane Traffic Blockers".

I don't understand people that speed up when they get to the passing lane, or pull up beside a car and then block traffic.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:32 PM   #19
Chevyland

Attached Images

Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
desertnick69

I have a policy no matter what I am driving, be it freeway, in the hood back roads and suck. I maintain my speed as long as you maintain your space, but if you like riding my ass my policy is the closer you get the slower I go. and if you are to close for me to see your head lights, you won't see my brake lights. Most folks catch on quickly there have been a few that just kept pushing it. @65 mph I could not see his head light and he lost control rolled his ride and all his work stuff, and hell it was a Friday night!
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:08 PM   #21
1972RedNeck

Quote:
I've been rear-ended twice, and fortunately only one caused permanent damage.
To you or the vehicle?
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
I once pulled an intake manifold for a cam swap... ended up with a full on drag car that ran in the 11's.
1972RedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #22
special-K
Special Order

I have slowed and slowed with no affect. You know what's next, right? Yep, I stop!

Tim

Old 04-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
To you or the vehicle?
I have "arthritis" in my neck from getting whiplash one time too many. That vehicle ('86 Celebrity wagon- a really nice little car, before that) was totaled. Got hit by some yokel in a Bronco (the big one) who didn't stop when I was sitting at a red light, and the car came out a foot shorter. Fortunately, cross traffic managed to steer around me when I was pushed into the intersection. I guess he qualifies as some sort of tailpipe junkie.

Simi Valley, CA