The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #26
LS short box

Re: Part time job ideas

One of things my wife and I do in the summer is go for morning breakfast rides. Put the top down on the convertible and drive 40-50 miles in whatever direction we decide, have breakfast and cruise home. Once or twice a week. We are home by noon typically.
Doesn't pay anything but walking dogs at the local animal shelter is kind of fun. Exercise for you and the dogs love it.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:41 PM   #27
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I like it too. It's giving me some ideas..Thanks!
You are a sparky. You are not only employable, you are in demand.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:44 PM   #28
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
You may not know this yet, so just a heads up.. when I can’t work flooring I’m moving down to your neck of the woods and going to drive one of you large cars.
And write a book about songs I wrote working full time in a donut shop.
I tell young people all the time to get a CDL, even if they don't intend to use it. There is no reason to go hungry if you have a CDL.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:22 PM   #29
kingsolver72
10/30/19

I’ve got a buddy that owns a tow service. He and his wife hit a truck that turned right in front of them while going 50 mph on their ultra classic back on September 7th. They were busted up pretty bad. It was the other guys fault.. and he had no insurance. My buddies insurance ain’t going to cover it all. He just started driving about a week and a half ago. His wife been driving a couple of weeks now. They live 12 miles south of me but I had been taking them to church and the grocery store afterwards. I wish I had a cdl I could have been some real help to them.
Larry, you CG got me thinking.
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #30
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
You are a sparky. You are not only employable, you are in demand.
The doc says no more working...sucks, but he's right. The treatments did a bit of damage and eight hour day would be bad.....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:35 PM   #31
davischevy

Quote:
The doc says no more working...sucks, but he's right. The treatments did a bit of damage and eight hour day would be bad.....
I figured as much Dale. The only thing golden about the golden years, is your pee.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:28 PM   #32
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
I figured as much Dale. The only thing golden about the golden years, is your pee.
so true

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-19-2020, 12:40 AM   #33
'63GENIII

Quote:
Seriously? I had no idea you're a wireman. For real?

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:20 AM   #34
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
Seriously? I had no idea you're a wireman. For real?
Ustacould....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-19-2020, 01:34 AM   #35
'63GENIII

Quote:
Ustacould....
Had no idea Dale.

Been trying to figure out what the next thing is since I was 40. That was 10 years ago. Id say I'm closing in on it..

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

Old 01-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #36
davischevy

Quote:
Had no idea Dale.

Been trying to figure out what the next thing is since I was 40. That was 10 years ago. Id say I'm closing in on it..
I spend a lot of time studying future careers in trades. I read something yesterday that said most electricians were looking for something easier on the body by age 50.

I had back surgery when I was 43 and hernia surgery at 48 so I was done framing houses. Luckily, I had already started buying big yellow machines.

The hardest part is remembering your not burning all those calories any more.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:41 PM   #37
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
I spend a lot of time studying future careers in trades. I read something yesterday that said most electricians were looking for something easier on the body by age 50.

I had back surgery when I was 43 and hernia surgery at 48 so I was done framing houses. Luckily, I had already started buying big yellow machines.

Especially industrial, the heavy conduit runs and wire pulls take their toll

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 01-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #38
special-K
Special Order

Climbing up and down all around all over and under into every nook and cranny I'd think could be a hard part of it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:27 PM   #39
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
I tell young people all the time to get a CDL, even if they don't intend to use it. There is no reason to go hungry if you have a CDL.
I've been thinking about this for almost 6 months. I drove back in the 90's but was a company driver, this time I'd rather buy a truck and pull a flatbed or step deck. I'm not crazy about being gone but it is the one thing I can do to work for myself. I'm still praying about it. It's a big leap.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #40
'63GENIII

Quote:

I took a job with the City to get away from running work back in '14. I had become tired of the 80 - 100 hour weeks and I was getting a pretty bad case of the monkey butt and could see that the stress was gonna kill me in short order. Although the pay is considerably less with the city, its also not as mentally taxing now. A little residential moonlighting helps make the ends meet these days.

Quote:
Especially industrial, the heavy conduit runs and wire pulls take their toll
Yeah, it does beat you up after a while no matter how smart you work. I was just given a job running a couple thousand feet of 3/4 GRC. Individually it's not so bad but moving the bundles around is the same as slinging 4" joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Climbing up and down all around all over and under into every nook and cranny I'd think could be a hard part of it.
Just spent 6 hrs in a friends attic yesterday helping him rearrange his home theater. He's a pretty smart techie kind of guy but is not allowed to work on his house (his wife's rule not mine). Anyway, it was one of those jobs that I told the wife Id be back in a couple hours at 10 am and finally returned home at 6. I don't think Ive ever run into as many fire and diagonal blocks in 30 years of doing this work. Ended up leaving 2 big augers and 3 extensions in his walls .

To your point though Tim, my knees were starting to swell on the 10 minute ride home. Today its ice packs and football.

I really need to get on finding that part time job soon!

'63 k15 long step
D44 / 14bff - disc axles

Old 01-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #41
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yeah, with being small, I always got those tight spots.

Quote:
I took a job with the City to get away from running work back in '14. I had become tired of the 80 - 100 hour weeks and I was getting a pretty bad case of the monkey butt and could see that the stress was gonna kill me in short order. Although the pay is considerably less with the city, its also not as mentally taxing now. A little residential moonlighting helps make the ends meet these days.

Yeah, it does beat you up after a while no matter how smart you work. I was just given a job running a couple thousand feet of 3/4 GRC. Individually it's not so bad but moving the bundles around is the same as slinging 4" joints.

Just spent 6 hrs in a friends attic yesterday helping him rearrange his home theater. He's a pretty smart techie kind of guy but is not allowed to work on his house (his wife's rule not mine). Anyway, it was one of those jobs that I told the wife Id be back in a couple hours at 10 am and finally returned home at 6. I don't think Ive ever run into as many fire and diagonal blocks in 30 years of doing this work. Ended up leaving 2 big augers and 3 extensions in his walls .

To your point though Tim, my knees were starting to swell on the 10 minute ride home. Today its ice packs and football.

I really need to get on finding that part time job soon!
Don't forget about crawling the cable tray 30' in the air

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by Ol Blue K20; 01-19-2020 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Add
Old 01-19-2020, 09:20 PM   #42
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Where I used to work, we had a huge high bay in one building. I had to go out on the cat walk to inspect some hardware, 200 feet up. Nothing like only having expanded metal between you and a concrete floor. Of course, it's all braced, but still...I get vertigo at 12 feet.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:11 AM   #43
cornerstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Where I used to work, we had a huge high bay in one building. I had to go out on the cat walk to inspect some hardware, 200 feet up. Nothing like only having expanded metal between you and a concrete floor. Of course, it's all braced, but still...I get vertigo at 12 feet.
Vertigo is the worst. I went through a 3 month spell of it a few years ago. I'd be cruising down the highway and take a glance over my shoulder only to return to a spinning world. I could feel my eyes rolling in my head, fighting it they would kind of snap back to center. Instantaneous nausea. It'd be very difficult to focus enough just to keep the truck in my lane. Dr. said there is no cure and it would most likely eventually pass. It got to be such a regular occurrence, I would stay in the right lane to allow myself a place to slow to a stop on the shoulder. Thank God that passed.

In regard to part time work, I've thought it may be a good idea to get a realtors license. If for no other reason to have early access to the good properties for your own investment.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #44
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Vertigo is the worst. I went through a 3 month spell of it a few years ago. I'd be cruising down the highway and take a glance over my shoulder only to return to a spinning world. I could feel my eyes rolling in my head, fighting it they would kind of snap back to center. Instantaneous nausea. It'd be very difficult to focus enough just to keep the truck in my lane. Dr. said there is no cure and it would most likely eventually pass. It got to be such a regular occurrence, I would stay in the right lane to allow myself a place to slow to a stop on the shoulder. Thank God that passed.
That's why I had to sell my Harley. Between Vertigo and Neuropathy I couldn't ride anymore. Which totally sucks. I can walk up stairs but I can't walk down without hanging on for dear life. My balance is toast. I'm surprised that I haven't broken any bones because I've taken a couple of nasty falls. My wife said that I literally bounced off the floor the last time I went down on a hardwood floor. That one hurt. So did taking a little non scheduled flight down the side of a hill. Unfortunately mine is here to stay.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:54 AM   #45
Sheepdip

Ol Jerry was a local machinist and when he retired he took a job at the local Chevrolet/GMC dealer shuttling customers to and from. He loved his job and had all the latest town gossip.
Jerry's gone now, but he did that "Retirement" job probably 10 years or better.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #46
cornerstone

I forgot to mention another option that I have also been considering for part time work. Living out past the suburbs in an area that was "country" when we moved to our current home, there has been consistent residential growth. Like many of the others near me, my place has a long unpaved driveway. It's a continual job keeping the surface pothole free, and from getting so choppy your teeth don't shake out of your face. Several years ago I was buying 12 yard loads of roadbase for 150 a pop, sometimes up to 5 or 6 deliveries a day while I would spread it out waiting for the next load to arrive. This would be once or twice a year. After a rainy few days it'd need the box blade run over it again to smooth it out, and get a slight crown on the road to allow for better drainage.

Last year my brother bought a brand new dump trailer that was small enough to be towed with his 1 ton diesel 4x4... I think it was about 8 grand. Between his place, my place, and all of our friends and family that thing could potentially stay busy 24/7. I think its already paid for itself just with people forcing him to take some money for the help he provided them. He is a giver at heart so its a struggle for him to take any money.

After I get my retail furniture store closed for good in the very near future, It's my plan to march straight over to the same dealer and scoop up a new dump trailer. Think about it...If you have a rock/ sand/ gravel yard close enough to make sense, and don't mind hauling a heavy loads, there's relatively easy money to be made. The most conservative figure I come up with would be 300 gross profit a day minimum with only hauling 3-4 loads. With some hustle and good circumstances, I believe the potential is there for 800.+/day. My plan is to offer additional skid steer services and haul off as well. Who knows, maybe I can become an other other Larry.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #47
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
That's why I had to sell my Harley. Between Vertigo and Neuropathy I couldn't ride anymore. Which totally sucks. I can walk up stairs but I can't walk down without hanging on for dear life. My balance is toast. I'm surprised that I haven't broken any bones because I've taken a couple of nasty falls. My wife said that I literally bounced off the floor the last time I went down on a hardwood floor. That one hurt. So did taking a little non scheduled flight down the side of a hill. Unfortunately mine is here to stay.
That upstairs/downstairs vertigo is a thing my wife has, too. She makes me walk in front of her when going downstairs. Or maybe she's just getting up the nerve to collect my life insurance, though, from an "accidental" fall.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #48
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Ol Jerry was a local machinist and when he retired he took a job at the local Chevrolet/GMC dealer shuttling customers to and from. He loved his job and had all the latest town gossip.
It took me being to where I'm at to understand the older fellas that are obviously out doing deliveries and such. I always thought, what a shame being older and still having to do such jobs. When in reality they were probably (hopefully) just keeping busy, making some pocket money, and having a little fun.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #49
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
I did that job back on the other end of my working life. They actually offered to train me to work in the machine shop (mainly turning brake drums/rotors) but being young and stupid I turned it down because I didn't want to be stuck in that little room all day. I wanted to be out and see the sunshine.

There's lots of low-key jobs that I probably wouldn't mind doing these days, but the trouble is driving at least 60 miles one way to work. I have thought of either asking for a full day once or twice a week, or else asking about sacking at the grocery store in the county seat only about 25 miles away...
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:54 AM   #50
special-K
Special Order

I always flirted with the idea of working at a hardware store. Probably the only store job I'd want other than car parts (maybe). It's my kind of place with things I'm familiar with. Many people actually need help there, and advice, so you're not pestering to ask if they need any. I know what I'm doing and I still find it handy for getting pointed right where I need to go or to find out it's a no-go without tearing through the whole store looking

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote