The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
Bandit78

First Build thread, Need some outsiders veis

Im new to the board, tho Ive been reading tons and tons of threads for ideas and things I am currently stuck on.

The back story on this truck started in high school when I built my first car at age 14. It was a toss up between building a c10 or a 1978 trans am(Smokey and the bandit). Of course the muscle car won out. But I stumbled on a 69 c10 last winter and the price was rite so I jumped on it. It was pretty beat up but it ran. It came with a 327 that was swapped out of a Vett or an Impala Ran decent and loud the only thing that was really wrong with the engine was a leaky rear seal.

So I got the truck and The end goal on what I want it to be has change over the last year. The first summer I just put in a new bench seat and ended up doin a rebuild on the motor over the leaky rear main seal. (Aka... I already had it that far apart, I figured I might as well have the heads done ad a cam put new ring and bearing in it and port match the intake and called it good. Ran it that way for the summer, camping and what not. Work perfect for that. But then I sold my Jeep and decided I would turn this truck into a daily driver. SO, thats where it really starts. Ill get some pics posted up and walk you through kinda the direction I took. An ass always any critiques or questions and welcomed actually the more feedback the better. Ive been struggling my way learning threw, tho easy way to do things on this truck would be nice. I have a ton of question on the painless wiring harness an also other things.

But Hope yall enjoy, It is my first build thread so feel free to lead me in the rite direction sometimes
Bandit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Bandit78

Re: First Build thread, Need some outsiders veis

When I picked up the truck

Old 03-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
Bandit78

Pulled the engine to change the rear seal and it ended up in a.... (well its already out and apart, might as well rebuild it right)

The 327 wasnt in to bad of shape but there were some things that had been jerry-rigged. Like the gear drive timing set that dint fit rite with the stock timing cover and although I new what the high pitch whine was from every one thought I had a transmission problem. So I went to a double chain, had the heads rebuilt, then port matched and polished them and Put in a lunati barebones cam and lifters.

It had a decent set of cast aluminum vavle covers that were black, So I polished them up. It was my first time polishing cast aluminum up an man it took alot of hours.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Bandit78

Dropping the engine back in

Just getting it fired up
Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Bandit78

The primmer paint may be there for a while, but I when I started working on the inside I origanally planned on making it pretty simple bed line the floor bench seat, radio with Ipod hook up, re-seal the doors and call it good. I drove it like that for a summer but its come along way since then Ill post more on what I changed later. But When I was first workin on the cab I wanted to get it painted so atleast the inside would be done and I would have to pull every thing out to do it later. Granted this was sapposed to be a cheap build an I dint have the time or space to pull the cab off strip it and do it rite. Ill save that for down the road.

I went to my local napa who actualy mixes paint and pick out this blue, I wanted to stick with red but the cost was double. The blue did turn out pretty good but Im not sure how it would turn out if the whole truck was this color or two toned. So it might change

Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Bandit78

heres last summer, Had it loaded up like the. Even had two kyaks on top of this plus tents and all that. Some how manage 17 mpg on this trip, I have no Idea how, I thought I calculated it wrong but I double checked.