The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #126
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Nice use of the leftover tin.
Thanks. I feel better about buying that whole floor piece that I only used the edge of and probably could have gotten away with just buying the outer floor/inner rocker piece. I still have the corner of the floor/hump area to patch so I'll get to use some more of it.

I ordered patch panels today. I checked out The Filling Station but their prices are much higher than some other vendors so I had to pass even though I would have liked to support a local business. Money's tight and I have to save where I can so I can buy more STUFF.
pdxhall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #127
pdxhall

I posted this on the message board also but I'll throw it out here too. I bought this clock and I'm looking for help in identifying what it is out of. It's stamped 1961 on the inside of the case. it's a borg clock with 28965 Q also on the inside of the case. Any help?
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #128
pdxhall

The mystery has been solved very quickly by Markob01 over on the message board. It's a 61 Buick LaSabre clock. I really like the retro look of it. It has some very slight pitting just starting in the chome that will buff out (or it might just get painted) and the lens has very slight fogging that will also polish out, and IT WORKS. Gonna have to think about this one for awhile. I couln't resist $30 including shipping, though!
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #129
pdxhall

Well, I haven't got anything done for the last couple of weeks. The Holidays just keep getting in my way. The x-mas shopping is now done, and I'm looking at 4 days off starting today, so I'm hoping to get out in the shop and make a little progress. I can't seem to get out of the shopping mode, though.
Besides the patch panels and the clock, I picked up some nice sail panels and a couple of NOS inside door handles. Just waiting on the Brown Truck and then I'll post some pics. I know I'm a long ways off from needing them but the deal was too good to pass up.
I also located another truck that I'm trying to track down the owner. The house it is sitting at is empty with a lot of laying around like somebody moved out and left a bunch of stuff. I've done a little research and so far I've found that the old man that lived there died a while back and his wife died this year. There is also a son that I haven't been able to locate much info on yet but I'm working on it.
Why am I doing this? The truck is a 65 3/4 ton. From what I have been able to see, it has a perfect aluminum grill, chrome windshield trim, instrument panel with gauges (no tach) and custom knobs, a custom seat, and possibly a clock that has been taken off the dash. The body panels are all staight but rusty in all the normal places. It looks as though it's been sitting quite a while, in fact, I've been driving past it for over a year and it hasn't moved. There is also a camper on jacks that was probably used with the truck. Anyway, I'm still investigating.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #130
66farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
Well, I haven't got anything done for the last couple of weeks. The Holidays just keep getting in my way. The x-mas shopping is now done, and I'm looking at 4 days off starting today, so I'm hoping to get out in the shop and make a little progress. I can't seem to get out of the shopping mode, though.
Besides the patch panels and the clock, I picked up some nice sail panels and a couple of NOS inside door handles. Just waiting on the Brown Truck and then I'll post some pics. I know I'm a long ways off from needing them but the deal was too good to pass up.
I also located another truck that I'm trying to track down the owner. The house it is sitting at is empty with a lot of laying around like somebody moved out and left a bunch of stuff. I've done a little research and so far I've found that the old man that lived there died a while back and his wife died this year. There is also a son that I haven't been able to locate much info on yet but I'm working on it.
Why am I doing this? The truck is a 65 3/4 ton. From what I have been able to see, it has a perfect aluminum grill, chrome windshield trim, instrument panel with gauges (no tach) and custom knobs, a custom seat, and possibly a clock that has been taken off the dash. The body panels are all staight but rusty in all the normal places. It looks as though it's been sitting quite a while, in fact, I've been driving past it for over a year and it hasn't moved. There is also a camper on jacks that was probably used with the truck. Anyway, I'm still investigating.
If you don,t get that truck, I have a instrument panel w/gauges thst I would let go.
Keith
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #131
Bomp

Quote:
Pullin some CSI action on gettin' a truck
Thats how I got my Green '72.
Always nice to have project #2 on the back burner. That way your always prepared.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #132
Ta2Don

Finally found your build, Impressive, Subscribed!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #133
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Like what you have done so far. Just found this thread and read thru the whole thing. I completly understand the job thing. I lost my job in March with a company that I had been with for nearly 10 years. Go luck and found one locally with a larger company and I could nto be happier with my new job.

Your rust issues look similar to mine in the fact that the kick panels and floor are worse than the outer rockers themselves. I might have to tackle them this winter once I have Korbin's truck more complete...

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:34 AM   #134
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66farmer View Post
If you don,t get that truck, I have a instrument panel w/gauges thst I would let go.
Keith
Thanks Keith. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2Don View Post
Finally found your build, Impressive, Subscribed!!!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Like what you have done so far. Just found this thread and read thru the whole thing. I completly understand the job thing. I lost my job in March with a company that I had been with for nearly 10 years. Go luck and found one locally with a larger company and I could nto be happier with my new job.
Your rust issues look similar to mine in the fact that the kick panels and floor are worse than the outer rockers themselves. I might have to tackle them this winter once I have Korbin's truck more complete...
It's great that you got back to work fairly quick. You can't really tell about the rust down there until you start to take things apart. What lurks beneath can be trouble. Just got to get it the best you can.

The weather has still been keeping me from doing much in the garage right now. I'm still hoping Santa brings me heat for the garage.
I did get all my patch panels that I ordered and I want to take a moment and give a shout out to Classic Parts. Their customer service has been fantastic every time I have ordered from them. Their parts and prices are some of the best, also. I ordered parts and forgot to add a code for 10% discount offered during the holidays. I emailed them and they were back to me within a couple of hours with the adjustment to my charges. The parts got to my door in 4 days and all of the patch panels look great, even the rear cab corner. You just can't beat that.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #135
pdxhall

I got the gift of heat for Christmas. I got a propane heater/blower. I robbed my bbq grill of its propane tank and got it filled and hooked up. I propped the back door of the garage open a little for ventilation so I wouldn't die of carbon monoxide and fired it up. I had the garage as warm as the house in about 30 min.. I have no excuses now. Back to work.
I cut out some more of the floor/ toe board rust and started fitting the replacement panels. I've got the first piece tacked in and another fitted, but I ran out of welding gas and had to quit. Now it's back to work until Wed. I'll post some updated pix then.

Happy New Year Everybody
Old 12-31-2012, 11:30 PM   #136
Bomp

Quote:
I got the gift of heat for Christmas. I got a propane heater/blower. I robbed my bbq grill of its propane tank and got it filled and hooked up. I propped the back door of the garage open a little for ventilation so I wouldn't die of carbon monoxide and fired it up. I had the garage as warm as the house in about 30 min.. I have no excuses now. Back to work.
I cut out some more of the floor/ toe board rust and started fitting the replacement panels. I've got the first piece tacked in and another fitted, but I ran out of welding gas and had to quit. Now it's back to work until Wed. I'll post some updated pix then.

Happy New Year Everybody
Happy New Year to you too.
Can't wait to see some pics.
I wanted to get a chance to talk to you face to face at the forum meeting thingy but the weather and distance was just too much. Maybe someday.
Do you use 75-25 mix or straight co2? If you get a chance try 75-25.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #137
Zane M

Just read through your build so far. Great job and I can't wait to see what you accomplish in 2013!
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #138
63sbssbbw
UCA63

You're making great progress Brett
Looking fantastic,keep it up
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #139
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane M View Post
Just read through your build so far. Great job and I can't wait to see what you accomplish in 2013!
Thanks Zane. Where abouts in SLC are you. I'm from Utah originally. Been up here in the NW for 20+ years, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63sbssbbw View Post
You're making great progress Brett
Looking fantastic,keep it up
T
Thanks man, how's yours coming along?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #140
pdxhall

Here's my new heater for the garage and a few shots of the driver's side floor patching so far. I hope to finish it up in the next few days.
Even though I bought the full length inner rocker/outer floor patch, I decided to cut it in half so it would be easier to work with while fitting pieces together. I also found another piece from the passenger side floor patch that I had left over that has almost the same bend in it to match what I needed for the remaining floor to toe board piece I needed. I just had to bend the flange and massage the curve slightly to fit. I have the larger piece tacked in now but I'm at work and for some reason didn't get the pics of that part downloaded.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #141
Bomp

Nice seein your progress.
When I was fitting my floor pieces together and sometimes had a gap I used a copper welding spoon from harbor freight tools to back the gap and filled the gap with weld wire slowly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #142
pdxhall

Yes, I've used the copper spoon a few times in the past. Actually the panels fit up better than this when I started tacking. I did a little more fitting after I took these pix. I did have one screw up, though. I measured things 900 times before cutting and still cut too much off of one patch and had to weld a patch on the patch. UGGH! Other than that it's working out well.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #143
63sbssbbw
UCA63

LOL dead slow,still looking for a workspace so I can continue on with my cab.
Still getting the smalls done though.
T
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #144
pdxhall

I had quite the day trying to get the small floor piece on the right to work. I had a piece I thought was going to work that you can see in the previous pix. Well, it didn't. I cut it wrong. Now, I could have probably welded a piece back on and made it work but I got this brilliant idea that I would make one from scratch rather than use the pre-bent piece I had. What was I thinking? I don't have any tools for forming metal. I finally got it made and tacked it in. Still a little massaging needed at the flange.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #145
jimmydean

Nice work.

I need to upgrade my heater, it's freezing in my garage.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #146
allaboutchevelles

Nice work on the floor. I had to do the same repair that your doing. Im so glad im done with that. Keep at it, your doing a nice job. Also your heater looks almost like mine. I bought mine from big lots about 4 years ago. 30,000 btu and has a fan and runs on propane. Best thing is it was only 50 dollars.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #147
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Nice work.

I need to upgrade my heater, it's freezing in my garage.
Thanks man, same to you. I really like the console you're doing. I've kicked around the idea of having some electronics involved in my truck. I know what you mean about the cold. This little heater is great. Warms up my double garage in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Nice work on the floor. I had to do the same repair that your doing. Im so glad im done with that. Keep at it, your doing a nice job. Also your heater looks almost like mine. I bought mine from big lots about 4 years ago. 30,000 btu and has a fan and runs on propane. Best thing is it was only 50 dollars.
Thanks. This thing has been beating me up for some reason but the worst is over I think. I started fitting the toe board side of puzzle and the last small piece of floor then I get to start on the back half of the rockers.
I'm getting a lot more done this winter with the heater. The price of propane is worth it to be able to get out in the garage.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:58 PM   #148
Bomp

Floor is looking great.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #149
pdxhall

I haven't got much new to report but I had drifted down to page 4 and it's lonely down there. I ran out of wire last weekend so I didn't get my floor finished, but I've got 4 days off starting tomorrow. I'm gonna try and get the last piece of the toe board welded in and post some pix.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #150
mark 66

Quote:
I haven't got much new to report but I had drifted down to page 4 and it's lonely down there. I ran out of wire last weekend so I didn't get my floor finished, but I've got 4 days off starting tomorrow. I'm gonna try and get the last piece of the toe board welded in and post some pix.
I feel your pain. we are at about the same place you are. yours is looking good so far.keep posting pics of progress. without others inspiration dont think Id be motivated to keep at it.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote