The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: If you had the option, which of these grills would you use?
Original 66 painted grill 1 20.00%
64-66 C60 painted grill 2 40.00%
an original aluminum grill that needs to be restored 2 40.00%
the repo aluminum grill that is now available 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 AM   #201
pdxhall

Re: pdx-sanity66

I few months ago I bought a media blaster from Harbor Freight and was going to use it with my bead blast cabinet. Well the design of the cabinet turned into a siphon system so up until now I haven't needed the blaster so it has sat untested.
Now that I'm cleaning the underside of the cab and also some body areas that are pretty inaccessible for sanding, I decided to get some blast media and put it to work. I also needed some more glass beads for the cabinet. I did a little searching and found a place here in Portland that specializes in blast media and has many types and grits for what seems to be great prices. It's called Kleen Blast Abrasives. I got 100lbs of #50 crushed glass (brite blast) for $19 and 50lbs of #8 glass beads for $23.
I was hoping to get some good enough weather today to wheel the cab into the driveway and do some blasting but this good old Oregon springtime weather had other ideas. You don't know what you're going to get from one minute to the next. Wind, rain, showers, sun breaks, and on and on with numerous names for varying degrees of rain. It turned out to be nice enough this afternoon that I could have done some but I just didn't trust it. It kept looking like it was going to rain just to f%&#k with me.
Well, I bagged the idea but since I had the blaster loaded with my new media I had to give it a small try just to see. You know how it is.
I like the crushed glass and it works good. Here's a poor pic of a small sample of what it does.
More tomorrow if the weather lets me. Word is out that it's supposed to be nice.
Attached Images

pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #202
Bomp

Thats a good deal on the glass bead material.

Roll out the cab and hammer down
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #203
rusty76

This is a really cool build and I've enjoyed reading it all. Thanks for posting it up.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #204
pdxhall

I agree, it is a good deal. I haven't really priced the crushed glass that I'm using in my blaster but that seems like a good deal too, and I like the way it works. The weather was nice today so I threw down a tarp and wheeled Sanity's body onto the tarp for blasting a few areas on her belly can't be gotten to easily and a couple of places where there's some surface rust. The blaster and the media work great but my sad little air compressor is finally dying and this will be the end of it. I bought it when I was on a tighter budget several years ago and it has served me well but barely adequately all this time. It's just a Craftsman 5 hp oiless pump with a 40 gal tank. In a way I haven't minded having to stop whatever I've been doing occasionally to let the pressure build back up because I usually need a rest by then anyway, but I have just worked it to death. I overhauled the pump last year but it is starting to act like it did before and I just want something that will handle what I need and want to do.
So I don't have thousands to spend but I'd like to get some opinions from anybody that actually looks at this thread as what compressor out there should I consider.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #205
Bomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I agree, it is a good deal. I haven't really priced the crushed glass that I'm using in my blaster but that seems like a good deal too, and I like the way it works. The weather was nice today so I threw down a tarp and wheeled Sanity's body onto the tarp for blasting a few areas on her belly can't be gotten to easily and a couple of places where there's some surface rust. The blaster and the media work great but my sad little air compressor is finally dying and this will be the end of it. I bought it when I was on a tighter budget several years ago and it has served me well but barely adequately all this time. It's just a Craftsman 5 hp oiless pump with a 40 gal tank. In a way I haven't minded having to stop whatever I've been doing occasionally to let the pressure build back up because I usually need a rest by then anyway, but I have just worked it to death. I overhauled the pump last year but it is starting to act like it did before and I just want something that will handle what I need and want to do.
So I don't have thousands to spend but I'd like to get some opinions from anybody that actually looks at this thread as what compressor out there should I consider.
These two bad boys are what I have in my arsenal:
Features:
23-Gallon
Full cast iron pump
Splash Oil lubrication
Cast iron head
Full metal belt guard
Low noise operation
Runs effectively from a clean 20 AMP service
Low pump RPM delivers exremely long pump life
Delivers 7 CFM at 90 PSI
Runs impact tools, nail & staple guns, spray guns & most other air tools.
May not be suitable for use with high consumption air tools like grinders, some sanders and sand blasters.
Check the air requirement of your air tools.

I have used this little guy to sand blast in the past. You do need to wait on it from time to time but it re-coops pretty fast. And its portable.

Belaire 318VLE 80 Gallon 175 PSI Vertical Electric Elite Air
$2,200 online( I got mine for $1600 from Salem Tool about 8 yrs ago)
Tank Start-Stop Pressure Switch Control, ASME Safety Valves Fully-Enclosed Belt Guard, Tank Drain and Discharge Valve 80 Vertical Tank 208-230/1 V/Ph. 32.5 cfm displ. 22.3 cfm/100 psi Mag. Starter: Included Recommended Dryer: HT25 39 x 24 x 77in

This is my monster. I can run my pressure pot at 80 psi, compressor kicks on,still blasting, fills up to 175psi,still blasting, shuts its self off,still blasting, I never have a drop in pressure and keep on blasting.
The bad. Not portable and makes little children cry.

Years back I had a 60 gal IngersolRand. Great compressor. Like the ones at Lowes or HomeDepot but they are Loud.
The little 23 gal shown has the same cfm as the 60 gallon compressors at Lowes or HD. It is bearable to have it run in the same area you are in.
I've also seen the ones at HFT but haven't done any research on them.

Good Luck
Old 05-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #206
McMurphy

Quote:
I got the 33gal Craftsman when I started this build, so I can fully appreicate what you are saying as I feel I quickly outgrew it. It is a fine piece of equipment, but it would be really nice to work on something without having to take those pauses as well.
I been looking at the big 60gal, 220 set ups.
I want to stay away from the gas powered ones when I make this upgrade.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #207
pdxhall

Out with the old and in with the new.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #208
coulter

nice upgrade!!! you been doing some killer work on that cab also!! keep it up man

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:37 AM   #209
Bomp

That big compressor is going to make a world of difference.
Congrats and enjoy.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #210
McMurphy

Looks like a game changer there buddy !!
Congrats

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #211
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulter View Post
nice upgrade!!! you been doing some killer work on that cab also!! keep it up man
Thanks. I've been watching your build for some time and I'm a fan of your work, thanks for looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
That big compressor is going to make a world of difference.
Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks, man, it already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Looks like a game changer there buddy !!
Congrats
I wish I'd done this a long time ago. I'm happy as hell that I was finally able to upgrade. It's not the biggest/baddest compressor but compared to what I've been working with up till now it's a Cadillac. Today I was grinding a little on the bottom of the cab and the compressor filled up and stopped while I was grinding. Whoa!! Nice!! And while I was blasting the bottom it was nonstop until I needed a break. I'm lovin' it!!

I finished up the bottom of the cab but ran out of time to get some epoxy primer on it today. That's the first thing on the list for my next day off (Wed).
I finished up blasting all the hard to get to places and cleaned up the rest in prep for primer.
I spot welded the outer rockers to the inner rocker bottoms and did a little touch up welding in a few other spots. I also finished up welding the floor/firewall seam.
My SS brake line were delivered today, also.
Attached Images

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #212
Psycho75

Man I am like a decade until I can do a frame-off on mine but I will be doing the floors long before then and referring to your build man. Very nice work and more progress?
1971 Baja: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459552
Psycho75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #213
Jmorales3181

Looking good man! I have almost the same compressor only it's not upright!( old one) someday when we have a house I will buy a nice one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #214
chad64chevy

looking good pdxhall!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:14 AM   #215
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho75 View Post
Man I am like a decade until I can do a frame-off on mine but I will be doing the floors long before then and referring to your build man. Very nice work and more progress?
Thanks, man. I've been checking out what you're doing in your engine compartment. Very cool. Thanks for looking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 View Post
Looking good man! I have almost the same compressor only it's not upright!( old one) someday when we have a house I will buy a nice one.
Posted via Mobile Device
The compressor is making a world of difference. I wish I could have been able to upgrade sooner. This project would have been alot further along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
looking good pdxhall!
Thanks Chad.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #216
Formanbob

Quote:
Thanks. I've been watching your build for some time and I'm a fan of your work, thanks for looking in.

Thanks, man, it already is.

I wish I'd done this a long time ago. I'm happy as hell that I was finally able to upgrade. It's not the biggest/baddest compressor but compared to what I've been working with up till now it's a Cadillac. Today I was grinding a little on the bottom of the cab and the compressor filled up and stopped while I was grinding. Whoa!! Nice!! And while I was blasting the bottom it was nonstop until I needed a break. I'm lovin' it!!

I finished up the bottom of the cab but ran out of time to get some epoxy primer on it today. That's the first thing on the list for my next day off (Wed).
I finished up blasting all the hard to get to places and cleaned up the rest in prep for primer.
I spot welded the outer rockers to the inner rocker bottoms and did a little touch up welding in a few other spots. I also finished up welding the floor/firewall seam.
My SS brake line were delivered today, also.
where did you get the SS brake lines?
Formanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #217
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formanbob View Post
where did you get the SS brake lines?
Hey Bob, thanks for looking in.
I was going to order them from Fine-lines but I changed my mind and went with Inline Tube. I'm real happy with them. All the bends and flanges are right on. I could have spent the money on a tubing bender, flange maker, and all the tubes and connectors but for $185 I like this option better. That and I don't have any mods to the system except front discs and power dual master and the kit is made for that.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #218
pdxhall

I took a couple of weekends off from Sanity and went to Pacific City out at the coast for one weekend and then spent the next weekend catching up on all the yard work I neglected. If you don't mow your lawn at least weekly this time of year in Oregon you darn near need to rent a goat to get it down. And it's also been a little rainy the last week or so. Well I was wishing for some sun and dry weather so I could get the epoxy primer on the bottom of the cab. I should have remembered the saying "Be careful what you wish for!" It went from low the low 70s yesterday to 96 today but I was determined to get it done so here it is.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #219
Jmorales3181

Looks good man!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #220
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
I took a couple of weekends off from Sanity and went to Pacific City out at the coast for one weekend and then spent the next weekend catching up on all the yard work I neglected. If you don't mow your lawn at least weekly this time of year in Oregon you darn near need to rent a goat to get it down. And it's also been a little rainy the last week or so. Well I was wishing for some sun and dry weather so I could get the epoxy primer on the bottom of the cab. I should have remembered the saying "Be careful what you wish for!" It went from low the low 70s yesterday to 96 today but I was determined to get it done so here it is.
If you're going to use the weather as an excuse to work on your truck, you are going to get a lot done next week.
Crap is it going to be hot!
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #221
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
If you're going to use the weather as an excuse to work on your truck, you are going to get a lot done next week.
Crap is it going to be hot!
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I hear. I've only got tomorrow and then I go back to work until Wed. and that's air conditioned. Thur. thru Sun. I'll be down at the Waterfront Blues Festival that I've been attending every year for about 22 years. Summer seams to get in the way of working on the truck at times.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #222
Bomp

My yardwork is soooo far behind.
Nice job on the underside of the cab.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #223
pdxhall

I'm back to working on my rear gas tank and a member happened to ask some questions about it. Here you go Seth. There are photos on the first page of the thread that show some shots of how I trimmed the frame rails. Here are a few more shots of the modification.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #224
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Have you decided what you are going to put on top of the epoxy on the bottom of the cab?

I used this stuff for Korbin's truck We like the way it turned out. It is availabe in Black and Tintable. We used the Tintable so it is the same color as the truck. The black probably covers better, we sued a whole kit for the bottom of his cab. Not bad, found it online for $121 shipped to our door.

http://www.u-pol.com/product-cat/83/...-bed-liner.htm

Truck is looking good!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #225
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Have you decided what you are going to put on top of the epoxy on the bottom of the cab?

I used this stuff for Korbin's truck We like the way it turned out. It is availabe in Black and Tintable. We used the Tintable so it is the same color as the truck. The black probably covers better, we sued a whole kit for the bottom of his cab. Not bad, found it online for $121 shipped to our door.

http://www.u-pol.com/product-cat/83/...-bed-liner.htm

Truck is looking good!
Thanks, man. That's the exact stuff I am planning on using. I got the idea from Markeb01. He used is and has great results over a long period of time. It's good to hear of somebody else using it. Any tricks or tips on laying it down?