The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #1
Stoime

4x4 Front Panhard Bar

Whats the best options for installing a front panhard bar on 4x4 lifted blazer? Anyone find any good kits with brackets ready to weld on?
Thanks
Stoime
Stoime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: 4x4 Front Panhard Bar

Source a used one from a later model Blazer. Either fab up mounts on existing engine cross member, or swap out cross member for later model cross member and use stock mounts. Someone here will probably post up pictures.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #3
1rippen6

I have this one I removed from a 72 blazer

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=700611
1rippen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #4
dutchmanz
Knuckle Buster, Instructor

I'm not trying to start anything but if you are talking about what 1rippin6 posted, that's an anti-sway bar. A panhard bar locates the axle housing from side to side. (Normally on coil spring suspension) The title may confuse some people or make a search come up empty. The later models are easy to swap in if you get all the parts. There was a huge thread on it at one time.
53 Studebaker M35 w/331 Reo gas I-6, Air Force Strata Blue
dutchmanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
AJs72K5

They're a poor solution for death wobble on a leaf sprung front end. I wouldn't recommend running one with leaf springs as a panhard bar fights the leaf spring geometry.

As mentioned above, they're intended to locate the axle side to side. But, specifically in a 3 link style suspension.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
Stoime

Guys,
Thanks for the responses.

I have a 6" leaf spring lift running 35s with off-road design cross over steering kit. When I turn the wheel my frame and everything is flexing. I was recommended to add a pan hard bar to further stabilize the front end.

I agree I'm not looking to add an anti sway bar. I'd love to hear recommendation to tighten up my front end.
Thanks
Stoime
Posted via Mobile Device
Stoime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:29 AM   #7
13jraven

What do you mean everything is flexing? Like frame or flex from the leaves and axles?

dutchmanz is right - a panhard bar locates the axle in trucks with coilovers. You can see the pictures of my 4 linked 1985 K30 on 3.0 Kings. The panhard bar locates the axle so it cant go side to side.

Talk me through your set up. How long are you leaf springs? What axles are you running? Death wobble in the dana 60 comes when the kingpins and bushings go bad. The same can be said for dana 44. Might be you need to get axles looked at. Could be a loose a steering box or worn tires.

JR
Attached Images

13jraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoime View Post
Guys,
Thanks for the responses.

I have a 6" leaf spring lift running 35s with off-road design cross over steering kit. When I turn the wheel my frame and everything is flexing. I was recommended to add a pan hard bar to further stabilize the front end.

I agree I'm not looking to add an anti sway bar. I'd love to hear recommendation to tighten up my front end.
Thanks
Stoime
Posted via Mobile Device
With crossover steering you DO need a trak bar......here's why, with the stock front to back steering set-up there's no sideways pressure on the axles/springs.
But when you are pushing/pulling SIDEWAYS on the the draglink and knuckle in order to steer, the axle WILL move from side to side without a trak bar. Using a trak bar on leaf spring works fine.....IF you insure that it's as close to parallel to the draglink as possible. I've run more than a few with one.
The 3 link/4 link set-ups are totally different animals and their geometry doesn't apply to leaf springs at all.

Now to put one on yours, you WILL need to be able to do some fab work to mount it.
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer

Last edited by A1971Blazer; 05-26-2016 at 08:20 PM.
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:51 AM   #9
13jraven

Sorry, if you have to run a panhard bar on a leaf sprung truck you have bigger problems to worry about it. Ford used to run panhard bars on their leaf sprung trucks but that is Ford and they were POS.

With crossover steering you should not have any issues assuming you have 2 1/2 wide springs. I would check your bushings and shackles first. Make sure everything is torqued. Then I would start looking worn out parts on the axles.

I run ORD crossover on 85 blazer with one tons, 37s, zero rates and 52" springs. The truck is heavy with 6.5 turbo diesel and tracks fine, doesn't bind and is a breeze to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1971Blazer View Post
With crossover steering you DO need a trak bar......here's why, with the stock front to back steering set-up there's no sideways pressure on the axles/springs.
But when you are pushing/pulling SIDEWAYS on the the draglink and knuckle in order to steer, the axle WILL move from side to side without a trak bar. Using a trak bar on leaf spring works fine.....IF you insure that it's as close to parallel to the draglink as possible. I've run more than a few with one.
The 3 link/4 link set-ups are totally different animals and their geometry doesn't apply to leaf springs at all.

Now to put one on yours, you WILL need to be able to do some fab work to mount it.
13jraven is offline   Reply With Quote