The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2003, 02:28 PM   #1
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Craftsman of Snapon?

Any suggestions? I need some advice on good tools.

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
sam's 72

If you got the money, Snap on is they way to go, they are very good tools. Craftsman are too!
Sam
Old 04-13-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

I prefer craftsman for most hand tools . The price is very good compared to snap-ons. The waranty is the same except theres about 100 sears stores to one snap-on distributor . I like the variety and quality of the craftsman ratchet over snap-ons and I prefer the thickness of the beam on the garden variety craftsman box end wrenches compared to snap-ons. Ive got quite a few snap-on tools as well as Mac, KD, Proto, Allen and others but to be honest the first thing I reach for when I open the tool box is the good old 8 inch craftsman 3/8" drive ratchet. If I break one on a weekend I can get a replacement right now, Try that with snap-on. To me the snap-on tools are a status symbol more than anything else especially amongst certain groups of professional mechanics notably machinists. You know, The kind that will spend $5000 on his snap on credit card for a tool box . They do make a nice tool box though.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:34 PM   #4
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

I got a little of both and I have to say I perfer Craftsman for the ease of getting a replacement if they should wear out or if I should break one. Trying to get a replacement from Snap On around here is nothing but a headache.
Maximum Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 03:40 PM   #5
cdowns

Craftsman because like the others said i can get a new one TODAY no questions asked and no song and dance like the others
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
passthebuck
Sisyphus was my mentor!

I have some of both - for just regular handtools Craftsman is the way to go BUT snap-on makes all the specialty stuff that craftsman doesnt make - imop. always try and buy used too - cheaper & it all still has the warranty...

-TWO 1967 GMC 910's. One with L6/3-on-the tree and the other with 355 w/435hp & a 700r4.
-a 2013 Honda Civic as my "sensible" car
passthebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:22 PM   #7
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Most of my tools are Craftsman, they are cheap, good tools, & easy replacement. I do have some Snap on , & mac tools. When it comes to linewrenches, & some of the other specialty tools......Craftsman does not compair. crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:35 PM   #8
Warbones
Navel Inspector

Decision Made

Thanks everyone for the responses and exp. Craftsman it is as.

1967 CST C10 Long Bed with a 283
Warbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:38 PM   #9
pissonNOS

I agree with everyone so far craftsman is the way to cheaper easier to get replacements and just as good of a warranty. I also agree its kind of a status thing to say you have snap on tools ya well buddy what i saved on my craftsman tools is going into my truck instead of still making payements
Old 04-13-2003, 06:39 PM   #10
TODDS 72
Not the nightly winner

well if you work every day with tools as a mechanic you would use snapon,craftman is ok but there is no way in hell they compare,i got impact sockets from snapon that are 20 years on and still perform great.my craftman tools are all in the truck tool box now.as far as a status thing with snapon i don't think so its the way there tools preform every day of the week.don't get me wrong sears tools are good but not for every day use.
plus the snapon truck comes every monday......lol
69gmc c10 v8 3 on the tree yellow 72k10 swb 350 3 on the tree green
86k15 swb5.0L 4spd brown
TODDS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #11
Roberty
Hot Damn - Here I Am!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Maximum Overdrive
I got a little of both and I have to say I perfer Craftsman for the ease of getting a replacement if they should wear out or if I should break one. Trying to get a replacement from Snap On around here is nothing but a headache.
I know what you mean - Chraftsman tools are great (Except their rachets ) and you can't beat their return policy. Snap-On, on the other hand, is almost impossible to get exchanged if one breaks. Stick to Chraftsman.

Roberty
'70 C-10 - My Grandfather bought it new - original un-restored
Roberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 07:16 PM   #12
mikep
Used to have a truck

Quote:
Originally posted by TODDS 72
well if you work every day with tools as a mechanic you would use snapon,craftman is ok but there is no way in hell they compare,i got impact sockets from snapon that are 20 years on and still perform great.my craftman tools are all in the truck tool box now.as far as a status thing with snapon i don't think so its the way there tools preform every day of the week.don't get me wrong sears tools are good but not for every day use.
plus the snapon truck comes every monday......lol

I guess I had better either quit my job or get rid of my Craftsman tools huh. The snap on guy just up and quit coming to where I work. No one was buying anything from him.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:54 PM   #13
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

As another mechanic workin with my tools every day, i'll have to agree that Snap On is WAY better. (most of my tools are from Sears though)
The way I look at it, if you are working out of your garage on your own stuff and a few side jobs, Crafts man is perfect. If your makin a living off of your tools, get as much snap on stuff as the wife will let.
Crafts man makes great tools, Snap On makes excelent tools.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:07 PM   #14
mooneyes

if i had my pick of any tools it would be Wright but there worse than snap-on for getting replacements but you dont need to very often
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 09:08 PM   #15
Gordo

Smile

If your a young man and plan on making your living for a long time turning wrenches, buy the best, when you can afford to. Over the years I have slowly replaced my cheaper tools with snap-on, as I could not start out with the best all at once. As far as returning broken tools, my snap-on guy stops by every other week, but to tell you the truth, unless you are using the wrong tool for the job, or using it improperly, or not maintaining it, why should it break, be it snap-on or craftsman?
1942 Oldsmobile
1958 Massey Harris Pony
1951 Wife
Killingworth, Connecticut

May those who love us, love us, any of those who do not love us, may God turn their hearts.
And if God is unable to turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping.

A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #16
Class of 69

Boy, this is a HOT button issue!! I started out with Craftsman tools also, but as I progressed into full time mechanics, the Craftsman wouldn't hold up. Craftsman is easier for most people to replace... I'm just lucky that I live near a large metropolitan area, and have several Matco, and Snap-On dealers nearby, cause that's all that's in my roll cab & top box now. Yes, they are more expensive, but I don't return broken tools by the handfull like I did with Craftsman. Just my $5.00 worth, and can I put that on a payment plan???
Old 04-13-2003, 10:11 PM   #17
sbrban

Ah yes, The age old-My craftsman tools are just as good...In my own opinion...Nothing even comes close to snap on when you use tools for a living.I own maybe 5 craftsman tools. I used to own a fair amount of mac,cornwell,and matco tools.Now the only thing that I don't by from snap on would be a specialty tool that they don't make. I've learned over the years that you get what you pay for.I guess I've got a good snap on dealer cause he's been known to come to my house if I'm needing something asap... No fightin' the mallrats for me.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:38 PM   #18
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

I've tried Snap-on's,Craftsman's,Husky's and a few cheap brands. I like Metwrench out of all of them. They are thin wall to get into tight places, and as strong as an ox. I cranked down on one nut one time with a 1/2 drive Craftsman's breaker bar with a 3 foot piece of pipe on it, a Snap-on 1/2 to 3/8's reducer, and a 3/8 drive Metwrench socket. It broke the breaker bar in half, and twisted the reducer off, never even hurt the socket. I had somewhere in the 300 ft lbs going...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 11:52 PM   #19
low 84

if you want an easy way to tell how snap on goes about making better/tougher tool compared to craftsman, just look at a snap on and craftsman socket u joint side by side. you will see which is made for everyday use when you see how big the pins are in the snap on compared to the craftsman. i have snaped several pins in craftsman joints but not a snap on. i work in the auto center in sears and if you come out in our shop two of the mechanics have snap on boxes and in the boxes are snap on impact sockets and snap on breaker bars. i will continue to have and buy alot of craftsman stuff, but for some things snap on is just plain stronger.

and yes, snap on guy comes by sears every friday

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 02:40 AM   #20
Chevy Wrench
former desert rat

Location: salt lake city, utah Home of the 3 M's Mormons, methlabs and minivans
Well, as my name states, Iam a mechanic. Or Automotive Tech for all of you dealership guys. I buy Snap-On tools for 3 reasons.
#1 Snap-on develops tools for the working mechanic, that means they (the tools) are designed to make the job quicker and easier.
#2 Quality. I have yet to break a Snap-on wrench. I could however show you scars from when my Craftsman wrench broke in half and left part of my hand on an exhaust manifold. Ouch!!
#3 Unless you have a credit card, you cant make payments to Sears.
I will agree. Snap-on tools are more expensive, so are Mac, and Matco. But Sears doesnt spend the time and money to do any type of R&D like the "big three" makers of tools do. Yes Sears boosts about a new ratchet or something once in awhile, but almost every month there is something newly developed from the others. Why? Because automobiles are in a constant state of evolving. We need more sophisticated tools to work on them. Example, my $2000.00 Snap on scanner is already out dated, and I only bought that 2 years ago. This is just my 2 cents worth, and I will leave my Craftsman tools where they belong, at home in my other tool box.
One more thing, try and warranty a Craftsman tool while wearing a shop uniform. They wont. Because Craftsman is for the "Crafts man" Not for the professional. To me, its a no brainer.
94 Chevy Silverado Ext cab 4/6 drop w/ 18's and 2500watt system (work truck). 67 Chevy swb under const. frame off custom, 20's, bagged and a large rat under the hood,and a 1940 Chevy truck under const.
Chevy Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:04 AM   #21
krue
Designated A-hole!

If you want a good deal on Snap on tools try checking out the local pawn shops (especially right before hunting season.)

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 03:39 AM   #22
low 84

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy Wrench

One more thing, try and warranty a Craftsman tool while wearing a shop uniform. They wont. Because Craftsman is for the "Crafts man" Not for the professional. To me, its a no brainer.
we will. in fact if we break one in the shop we just walk over to tool counter and exchange it, lol. but i would still rather pay more for better quality and not have to worry about breaking it.

'05 1500 Crew Cab

RIP
'84 swb 5/7 drop, solid cammed 408 w/ fully ported dart heads, th350 w/ 10 inch hughes, 12 bolt w/ 3.73 richmonds and a locker
'80 swb 4x4 in progress: 7" lift, 350 th350/np205, d44 and 1.5" ORD tie rod, 14BFF w/discs , armored diff covers, 40" MTR's
low 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:37 AM   #23
72K10

SK tools??

What about SK tools? I would rate them as good or better than Snap-on. Are they still sold? My dad was a mechanic and bought only SK, and they were high quality stuff. Still in use 30-40 years later.

I have two Craftsman ratchets and a Craftsman 3 ton jack in the garage all waiting to go back to Sears for replacement. The 1/2" ratchet works good but the 3/8 and 1/4 are weak. Screwdrivers aren't that good either if you buy the cheaper Craftsman ones.
72K10 Cheyenne
72C10 Cheyenne Super
72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:31 AM   #24
paintpyro

Lowes used to carry Kobalt, made by Snap-On. They blew away the Craftsmans, for about the same price. I just found out they arent going to carry em anymore. They are on clearance. Scopp up what you can.
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 10:52 AM   #25
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

You can say Snap On is the best there is, and it may be true, but the fact remains if they will not honor their warranty then they aren't worth sh*t.
Maximum Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote