The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
RodnRudy

Temp Sender

Well I went to my local Auto Zone Thurs. and bought a new new temp sender for my 68. I told them with gages for 327. I questioned whether it was the correct one cause it had the male spade lug instead of the round pin on the end. I was assured it was correct so I installed it in the head and finished filling up with coolant. Now I find out they sold me the wrong sender and I'm going to have to drain every thing back down to put the right sender in. AAARGH!!
Sender I need:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...witch%2Fsender
Sender they sold me:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/c...witch%2Fsender
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #2
Shady Rascal

Re: Temp Sender

You won't have to drain your cooling system. Get the new sender prepped with a dab of sealant and have it sitting on top of your air cleaner. Uncrew the current sender and quickly screw the new one in it's place. You shouldn't lose but to a little slurp of coolant if you're deft.
Shady Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:40 PM   #3
custom10nut

It's always a good idea to take your old part in with you to compare. I feel your pain. It's so nice to deal with a place that has someone who knows auto parts, and not just what the computer says. My son (who grew up under the hood of my truck) is a Manager of an Auto Zone, but also an ASE Certified mechanic, so he takes care of a lot of the questions with "what fits". He's so good at what he does that the Eastern Regional manager came to his store to find out why his return ratio is so low. Made me proud when he tells the guy, "Well, when you sell them the right parts the first time, they don't usually bring them back".
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #4
RodnRudy

This a crate 350 so I didn't have one to compare. And it goes in the cylinder head under the exhaust manifold so I didn't want to take a chance of making a big mess. I took the sender back and they had the correct one on the shelf. Go figure! I did take a picture with me and the GM part # so now I'm good to go.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
Mr Handy

Have you tested the new sender yet? I went through 3 from local parts stores before ordering one with the correct resistance grade.... the ones from the parts store would make my gauge peg hot at 165*
I ordered one from letric limited and all is right with the world.
http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm
Mr Handy is offline   Reply With Quote