The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
truck69

What options do I have if any???

I have a rust free 69 custom camper with pea green old paint. I put new parts in the motor so it runs for about 6 miles but thats about it.But will next year go and get a rebuilt Chevy engine with a warranty and put that in with some help. I am not a welder or a mechanic. I go to lots of car shows and getting ideas of what I want to do to my truck. A actual licensed mechanic has offered to help me on the side to take my truck and put it in his pole barn for the winter to work on it. My question is if I dont have enough money to get the engine til next year (april or so) what can I do over the winter to my truck without much money? Is there anything I can do to get a head start? Theres a bit of body work to be done like fill all the trim holes and inner fender holes.I dont want the truck to sit til next April then start working on it. I want to get a head start. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks. Truck69
truck69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:56 PM   #2
Mongo
YES_____NO

Do what you can and keep it driveable. Take you time and don't rush into it.
Start one task and finnish it before starting another. If you start too many tasks at once or start more before the first is compleeted then you reach a point it seem hopless to ever get it all done.

Good luck and enjoy that truck

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:58 PM   #3
Mongo
YES_____NO

Another thing I have started doing is when I see a sale at one of the vendors on a part that I will need I go ahead an buy put it on the shelf and let it sit untill I am ready to intall it even if it means it sitting on the shelf for 6 months.

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Old 07-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #4
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

Start budgeting now and putting aside money to put into it when you do get the chance to work on it. Put together a list of the items you're pretty sure you'd like to replace and then get the prices for those parts. A good way to do that is get an LMC truck magazine or other similar parts magazine and just start flipping through the pages. This will let you see every thing that goes into replacing whatever you think you'll want to replace. Money is the big item on these things. Unless you already have oodles of money then I'd start looking for the parts you would like to replace. Oh yea and if you're truck only runs for about 6 miles have you checked the ignition module in the distributor? When these start to go out they will work until they heat up then they will cut out. Usually the truck can sit for an hr or so fire right up ya take off then it does the same thing. This part usually costs about 15-20 dollars and can be checked at most part stores. Good luck
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:52 AM   #5
krue
Designated A-hole!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=139825
Lots of good info in that thread, here's the FAQ index, look thru them and pick something to do.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=157669

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
truck69

WOW! Thanks for the links. That is alot of great information which I will pay close attention too. One of the many things common in the threads is patients. Thats one thing my wife would say I have nothing of.

Thanks. Truck69
Old 07-04-2005, 12:07 AM   #7
Mongo
YES_____NO

Just curious, truck69 where are you located?

Help support the board

Last edited by Mongo; 07-04-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:15 AM   #8
truck69

We are located in Plainwell Michigan. About 15 mins North of Kalamazoo. Its a pretty small town.
Truck69
Old 07-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #9
krue
Designated A-hole!

Glad you liked the links. Now if I could just get off my butt and get some work done on my truck.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:06 AM   #10
dtlilly
Account Suspended

A truck restoration like you want to do will take time and money. Plan on several years and $20,000 since you are going to have to pay someone to do the work for you. There are some members in your area. Find them by posting on the 67-72 message board, or the regions board, and you will find people to help you not only save money, but make the project more enjoyable.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote