The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
NC_John

Dakota Digital HDX with the OBDII BIM module

Anybody else running these components with their LS swap? The HDX gauges with the bim module (pulling all data from the OBDII)......

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
davepl

Re: Dakota Digital HDX with the OBDII BIM module

No, but they sound interesting if they're CAN based, as then they might work with things like the Holley injection as well, since it supplies a CAN bus signal.

They just snoop on the CAN wire pair and report standard PIDs like oil pressure and O2 and so on?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Anybody else running these components with their LS swap? The HDX gauges with the bim module (pulling all data from the OBDII)......
I have and they work great. The only problem that I have run into is that if you need to plug in your scanner, you have to unplug the gauges.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #4
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Yepp, can't use up tuners and gauges... took a while to figure out that one. But simply using a plug for the gauges instead of hard wiring solved the issue.
Clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #5
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I have and they work great. The only problem that I have run into is that if you need to plug in your scanner, you have to unplug the gauges.
OK Rob, here's my question for this setup.

I got my first HDX gauge set and it had a bad button - wouldn't go into setup mode. Sent it back to DD. They either fixed it or sent me another one. The note said "no problem found" but it works now so whatever.

During initial setup of this second one, through my ipad on bluetooth, it does not recognize the pcm. The BIM module diagnostics (lights and those codes it can flash) says that IT is communicating with the PCM fine and dandy but the cluster says it doesn't see it. Everything is hooked up the way it is supposed to be.

I am hoping (REALLY hoping) that the cluster did not see the PCM because the engine wasn't running. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I'm running on hope right now.

I can't start the engine to confirm this until I get a few more things plumbed up.

PCM is good- its got hours of testing and runs the engine fine. I just hope I don't have another cluster issue. I had to pay over $40 in shipping/insurance to send the first one back to DD which pissed me right off since it was bad from the start. If I have to send it back again I will not be a happy camper.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Hart_Rod

Quote:
OK Rob, here's my question for this setup.

I got my first HDX gauge set and it had a bad button - wouldn't go into setup mode. Sent it back to DD. They either fixed it or sent me another one. The note said "no problem found" but it works now so whatever.

During initial setup of this second one, through my ipad on bluetooth, it does not recognize the pcm. The BIM module diagnostics (lights and those codes it can flash) says that IT is communicating with the PCM fine and dandy but the cluster says it doesn't see it. Everything is hooked up the way it is supposed to be.

I am hoping (REALLY hoping) that the cluster did not see the PCM because the engine wasn't running. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but I'm running on hope right now.

I can't start the engine to confirm this until I get a few more things plumbed up.

PCM is good- its got hours of testing and runs the engine fine. I just hope I don't have another cluster issue. I had to pay over $40 in shipping/insurance to send the first one back to DD which pissed me right off since it was bad from the start. If I have to send it back again I will not be a happy camper.

Any thoughts?
Are you saying the BIM doesn't recognize the PCM? Did you update each gauge (oil, temp, speed, etc..) to get it's input from the BIM? Also, the cluster should see the PCM as long as the key is turned on.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #7
NC_John

Quote:
Are you saying the BIM doesn't recognize the PCM? Did you update each gauge (oil, temp, speed, etc..) to get it's input from the BIM? Also, the cluster should see the PCM as long as the key is turned on.
no, based on the troubleshooting you can do directly on the BIM module through the basic codes and LEDS, the BIM sees and is communicating with the PCM. Its the cluster that says it does not see a PCM when I try to set it up through the ipad app.

I can get gauge readings for voltage and fuel level, but of course, both of those are independent of the PCM. I don't see anything else, but with the engine not running, they would be all at zero anyway.

If I have to take this dash apart a third time.......

Old 06-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Quote:
no, based on the troubleshooting you can do directly on the BIM module through the basic codes and LEDS, the BIM sees and is communicating with the PCM. Its the cluster that says it does not see a PCM when I try to set it up through the ipad app.

I can get gauge readings for voltage and fuel level, but of course, both of those are independent of the PCM. I don't see anything else, but with the engine not running, they would be all at zero anyway.

If I have to take this dash apart a third time.......
I would just use the gauge setup menu (not the IPAD, I think it's still Beta...). Try this, go to tachometer settings. Change the input source to BIM. See if that works.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
sprint_9

Quote:
Im running VHX with the module and for this reason above I thought about atleast running the VSS and tach direct to the engine harness so as not to lose them while tuning or troubleshooting.
sprint_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #10
NC_John

Quote:
And that is not an issue exclusively with Dakota Digital stuff. All my fleet trucks at work (from pickups to class 8 trucks) have GPS units for tracking and remote diagnostics. The GPS is hooked up to the diagnostic port (OBDII or 9 pin). On some of the trucks I have to disconnect the GPS before I can hook up a scanner.

I guess its a network issue with the CANBUS communications. I had a similar issue here installing some new software to allow in-house programming of our commercial/pro motorola 2-way radios. The computer was getting confused as it recognized the radio as an additional network that was causing conflict with the LAN network (interwebs). Nothing worked until we unplugged the LAN. Took a while to figure that one out! I need to get my kids involved in this. I'm starting to feel like my Dad around this ever-changing tech.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #11
b16crx

Quote:
And that is not an issue exclusively with Dakota Digital stuff. All my fleet trucks at work (from pickups to class 8 trucks) have GPS units for tracking and remote diagnostics. The GPS is hooked up to the diagnostic port (OBDII or 9 pin). On some of the trucks I have to disconnect the GPS before I can hook up a scanner.

I guess its a network issue with the CANBUS communications. I had a similar issue here installing some new software to allow in-house programming of our commercial/pro motorola 2-way radios. The computer was getting confused as it recognized the radio as an additional network that was causing conflict with the LAN network (interwebs). Nothing worked until we unplugged the LAN. Took a while to figure that one out! I need to get my kids involved in this. I'm starting to feel like my Dad around this ever-changing tech.

Have you ever tried one of these Dual OBD2 adapters? I have the HDX gauges for my truck and I was going to give this a try when I get to that point.

https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Split...obd2+connector
b16crx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #12
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16crx View Post
Have you ever tried one of these Dual OBD2 adapters? I have the HDX gauges for my truck and I was going to give this a try when I get to that point.

https://www.amazon.com/iKKEGOL-Split...obd2+connector
Have tried this and it is very intermittent....
Old 03-26-2019, 11:40 PM   #13
First c10

I made my own and it doesn’t work. I had to unplug one to use the other. I just installed my hdx set up and just unplug when I have to tune the truck.
1970 C10 Yellow/White Deluxe LWB w/ 5.3L-LC9/6L80E
1968 K10 LWB Dark green my son calls it "THE HULK Jr"HULK JR *SOLD*
GO GO!!!
First c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 PM   #14
thehata1

Quote:
Originally Posted by First c10 View Post
I made my own and it doesn’t work. I had to unplug one to use the other. I just installed my hdx set up and just unplug when I have to tune the truck.
Thank you for the feedback.
thehata1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:44 PM   #15
solidaxel

Question about the BIM.

Have you connected a scanner to your OBD2 port to verify that it works OK? Also, you need to make sure the BIM is set to read the "J" protocol. It should work regardless if the engine is running or not as long as you turn the key on.

Weare having problems with the BIM connected to the OBD the engine will start and run for a minute or two and then stalls.
Unplug the BIM and all is good.
Do you think the "J" code is the problem?

Sorry for the hijack
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #16
saon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
Question about the BIM.

Have you connected a scanner to your OBD2 port to verify that it works OK? Also, you need to make sure the BIM is set to read the "J" protocol. It should work regardless if the engine is running or not as long as you turn the key on.

Weare having problems with the BIM connected to the OBD the engine will start and run for a minute or two and then stalls.
Unplug the BIM and all is good.
Do you think the "J" code is the problem?

Sorry for the hijack
i just had the same issue on a ls swap. dakota digital has a fix. when i called they were like " oh yes, send it back" so they updated the calibration in it to fix it. said the revision 1.8 needed updated to 1.9 in the bim.

disclaimer, i expect it back tomorrow or wednsday to verify the fix.

problem was
truck ran perfect, plugging in the bim caused it to stumble randomly at idle and try to die flashing the check eng lite. un plug bim runs perfect.
saon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #17
72MARIO

I just found out i have the same problem with my suburban stalling.
Nice expensive fix for me. Just send it bavk to us...great if only I was in the US wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saon View Post
i just had the same issue on a ls swap. dakota digital has a fix. when i called they were like " oh yes, send it back" so they updated the calibration in it to fix it. said the revision 1.8 needed updated to 1.9 in the bim.

disclaimer, i expect it back tomorrow or wednsday to verify the fix.

problem was
truck ran perfect, plugging in the bim caused it to stumble randomly at idle and try to die flashing the check eng lite. un plug bim runs perfect.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #18
stevenbear72

Following, as I will most likely be buying the hdx or vhx kit soon once I see who has a better deal on them

Project "Huckleberry"

68 GMC K1500 1/2 ton L83/6L80e
stevenbear72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:01 PM   #19
Bluerust

Not quite the HDX, but I installed a VHX gauge system for my '86 with the Bim module late last summer. I have a PSI harness and PSI supplied E38 ECU/T42 TCU(4L80). I used an OBD splitter from Amazon. The gauge panel works great so far, knock on wood...

Hooking a scanner to it was interesting but worked. The code readers I have did not completely connect when I turned the key on initially. When I turned the key off it finally displayed codes and let me clear them. I think the scanner worked after turning the ignition back on at that point too. I've forgotten some details.

I had a misunderstanding with PSI when I talked to them about using the BIM module. I have an L96 6.0 with VVT. The PSI harness has the stock oil pressure sensor plug and the Bim module uses it. A PSI staff member had originally told me I needed to add the dakota digital oil pressure sensor to the engine also, which I did at first, but it wasn't needed after talking to a different PSI staff member during a different phone call.

1986 K30 L96/4l80/205

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=784999
Bluerust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #20
TA_C10

Anybody know what is included with a 2003 ECM? Does it provide all of the following that the BIM can use?

VSS
TACH
OIL Pressure
Water Temp
Trans Temp
Gear indicator
Cruise Control light on dash
Check Engine Light

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:01 AM   #21
saon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
Anybody know what is included with a 2003 ECM? Does it provide all of the following that the BIM can use?

VSS
TACH
OIL Pressure
Water Temp
Trans Temp
Gear indicator
Cruise Control light on dash
Check Engine Light

on mine it showed
VSS
Water temp
Trans temp
gear indicator
Tach should show up but i ran the white wire from the ecm to the bim
check engine light i also ran the tan mil light from ecm to the bim
i didnt have cruise so i dont know if the light shows up.
oil pressure is not shown. i had to run the DD sender unit and wiring.

also wiring in a 2nd aldl connector doesnt work. when the DD is plugged into
1 port it wont allow a scan tool (gm tech 2) or a tune tool (hp tuner or efi live) to communicate with the ecm. you HAVE to unplug the DD before trying to communicate with the ecm anyway.

this is just my experience on a 411 warren pcm which i have done a few swaps with.
saon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by saon View Post
on mine it showed
VSS
Water temp
Trans temp
gear indicator
Tach should show up but i ran the white wire from the ecm to the bim
check engine light i also ran the tan mil light from ecm to the bim
i didnt have cruise so i dont know if the light shows up.
oil pressure is not shown. i had to run the DD sender unit and wiring.

also wiring in a 2nd aldl connector doesnt work. when the DD is plugged into
1 port it wont allow a scan tool (gm tech 2) or a tune tool (hp tuner or efi live) to communicate with the ecm. you HAVE to unplug the DD before trying to communicate with the ecm anyway.

this is just my experience on a 411 warren pcm which i have done a few swaps with.
No oil pressure?? That's not cool. What about a 2005 PCM? Will that show oil pressure? The PCM/harness has a oil sender so I feel like this should be displayed through OBDII/BIM.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #23
akdg87

anyone have issues with their gauges cutting out? I have the BIM with VHX in my pickup. High RPM accel 'power' them down and they restart. Its only the gauges run through the BIM module that have seem to have this issue. Using the 0411 PCM as well. Just kinda frustrating cause i cannot see the rpm or speed when flooring it.
2009 CTSV Sedan
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:53 AM   #24
General23cmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdg87 View Post
anyone have issues with their gauges cutting out? I have the BIM with VHX in my pickup. High RPM accel 'power' them down and they restart. Its only the gauges run through the BIM module that have seem to have this issue. Using the 0411 PCM as well. Just kinda frustrating cause i cannot see the rpm or speed when flooring it.
Did you figure this out?
General23cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #25
skyphix

EDIT: Nevermind - seems you got oil pressure, which is pretty awesome.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote