The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2002, 09:47 AM   #1
XXL
Señor Member

Product review --- POR15's POR-Strip Stripper and Solvent

Feel like wasting $26+ dollars? Well, if so, try POR15's POR-Strip

Here's what they say--

POR-STRIP ® Paint Remover/Stripper is a clear spray-on remover with the consistency of water. In sample testing, our POR-STRIP ® was the choice of professional auto strippers. A special chemical-resistant spray bottle allows you to use less and finish faster than brushing. Remove any coating from any surface without damaging window glass, chrome, or weatherstrip. POR-STRIP ® is nonacidic and will not harm aluminum or factory fiberglass.

On a recent order, I bought a gallon of this stuff along with some POR15. My plan was to strip the black enamel off of a bumper I'm working on. After following the directions on the package, I didn't get any paint stripping results... so I tried it again, and AGAIN! Paint not removed, not loosened, not anything. So, just in case this bumper had been painted with some kind of super paint, I decided to try the stripper on part of a cab I'm working on. Same thing... 3 separate attempts at following the instructions (instructions call for 2 separate coats, so we're up to 6 coats in all) and guess what? The paint is still there. It did manage to bubble up a small swath of uncoated body filler and burn my skin a bit when the "free chemical-resistant spray bottle" managed to spring a leak in the trigger after about a dozen pumps.

BTW, they were right about not harming anything... including the paint I was trying to remove. As for being nonacidic, I am going out to the garage to re-read the label in a little bit. I seem to recall that the product contained muriatic acid.

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote