The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2015, 06:15 PM   #1
KevinCowTown

Glide Out Spare /w Class III/IV Hitch?

My glide out spare tire carrier (and the spare) was in the box when I got my '85 K2500.

One day I thought... I should mount that thing. I went to bolt it up and realized why it was in the box... I have this ginormous Class 3/4 Hitch, which seems to've been built from surplus Russian tank parts, pretty much takes up the entire underside of the truck.

Does anybody have both a glide out spare and an under-bumper hitch?

How 'bout a couple snapshots of that? Make & model of hitch?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Glide Out Spare /w Class III/IV Hitch?

I don't know about the glide out, but the regular drop down will work with a receiver hitch if you move the pivot bolt forward about 1 inch. That assumes you have exhaust which exits out the side behind the rear wheel, not up over the axle and out the back. This also assumes that your spare and wheel are stock size.

I would position the glide out under the truck and see where it fits with the spare in place. I think it might work.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
KevinCowTown

Re: Glide Out Spare /w Class III/IV Hitch?

Ugh.

So here's a picture. The gigantic hitch receiver is comprised of two massive plates that are about 18" long and 5" or 6" tall, bolted to the frame rails just fore of the rear bumper and connected by a 2" square tube that runs side-to-side between them, plus the actual receiver.

The spare tire is supposed to tuck right up to the frame rails but it can't, because of these enormous side plates. In other words... problem isn't fore-to-aft clearance and moving the mount ain't gonna help. I'd need to use a foot-long piece of threaded rod in place of the stock mounting bolts and hang my spare way the frack down. I'm not sure it would actually be dragging on the ground but the term "dog's balls" springs to mind.

So... ... ... anybody with a glide-out spare and a hitch? Pictures?