The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
4Eyedtruck

59 project ss sniper

Hey everyone been lurking for a bit now since i found out id be getting this thing a month or so back finally picked it up yesterday and decided i would start a build thread. this build will be slow going as money allows my plan is to have air ride and a fast enough truck to beat my buddy's ss silverado since he wants to hate on the classics . any ways on to the details this trucks been in the family for a while and was being put together when the owneer became sick and could no longer continue with the build. im going to have to change the color and get it back together then move on to other areas was told it has a camaro subframe and it has a 4 linked rearend and a tuned port 350 this is my first street truck its going to be intresting any ways on to the pics

4Eyedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Rude Dude

Re: 59 project ss sniper

Nice start, that clip front looks different, it looks like spacers between bottom of frame clip and truck original frame, wondering whats up with that?
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
4Eyedtruck

Thanks and i was wondering that myself I have no clue about that have to check it out when i get up under it one day right now im sorting all the parts that were in the bed and cab out have everything so far but some seats
Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Rude Dude

Congrats on seat and your new truck. Here is some good info on this link along with other builds on this site. I hope what you have is usasable frame good luck!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=148978
Rude Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Kim57

Welcome.
Looks like a nice start.
Kim
Old 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
oldcouple

Washing it could do wonders for the color. I kind of like it in a retro sorta way.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
Chevette

Sheb Wooley comes to mind. "It was a four-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater" Good luck with your build.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Nice looking truck, but you definetly need to check that subframe install!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevette View Post
Sheb Wooley comes to mind. "It was a four-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater" Good luck with your build.
i'm thinking 4eyedtruck should change his name to that

nice start for a project, hopefully you got a bed full of parts to finish it.
the original owner must have been an old fart and put the spacers under it to keep it from going too low.
wait... i'm an old fart

cut those out and get it in the weeds, that would be an easy fix

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
4Eyedtruck

I dont think that name is short enough to fit lol. The bed and cab has everything that I can see to finish it but seats but ill figure that out later this thing has to go to the paint man first if it was a Challenger the color could stay but im not going to keep the purple and next time im up at my dads house im going to crawl under there and check that subframe out for sure. Also crossing my fingers that the motor is a 350 and not a 305 tuned port.

Thanks for the link Rude Dude it was a good read now i know what im looking for
Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
4Eyedtruck

Well figured I would give a small update on what I've got going on which is not much to be honest. Ive looked at the subframe it looks to be solid I believe he wanted it like Ogre had said to not sit so low which isnt a problem to me if I want it lower I will do a drop spindle or air bags like Ive planned to do but have not really decided yet. the motor is a 305 unfortunately but no biggie to me I have a 327 on a stand now I could use or a 5.3 sitting in the corner at my shop but Id rather not deal with the 5.3 Thinking about just going zz4 350 and ride my waranty out then build on it a little any opinions on that are welcome. could I build the 327 up enough to out run my buddys ss and still have enough vacumn to run air and still be streetable? Right now the plan is to get the 305 runing so i can move it around on its own then get this purple out of here been lookng at so many colors lately ive started to dream of it in my sleep but thinking either black or a dark slate grey metallic ?
anyways some pictures of her dusted off and any clue what the holes are in the back of the cab for ? speakers maybe ?

Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
_Ogre

very shallow speakers
maybe he cut a disco ball in half and put it them in there...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #13
4Eyedtruck

I dont know what the heck they were for just more body work to do I guess I was thinking maybe some speakers but i dont even know if youcould find some that shallow like you said. the disco ball wouldnt be no bad idea though for its curent state and condition lol
Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
Chevette

The two holes in the back of the cab look as though they may have been for a role cage. If you see any strange patches on the floor boards, my guess would be a role cage with struts that lead to the frame under the box. Any chance it was a drag racer at one time?
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #15
4Eyedtruck

There is a good possibility it could have I know he used to mess with them some. ill have to clean the parts out of the cab and check the floor I never thought about that. will look into that while im up there tomorrow if i get the time to Thanks for the idea. been looking all day at motor builds and have decided that the 327 wil not be able to put down the power id like to have now looking at maybe the 5.3 carb conversion and building it or maybe just find a 350 and build it decisions decisions
Old 01-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #16
4Eyedtruck

Well after finishing nursing school in December I've decided I need to start on my project before it reaches the two year mark decided to go with a 454 I dropped it off at the machine shop Monday called today and told me it needed to be bored out it did have the 781 heads though when I disassembled it so I plan on reusing them maybe some pocket port and clean up plan on probe 2465 pistons to up the compression still up in the air on cams so if you have any ideas I'm all ears other than that the only thing I've done with my truck is move it over in the garage this is going to be a slow build to say the least lol
Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
4Eyedtruck

alright I know how much we all love pictures and I also need some advice on where to go with my frame
before After
more to come on the motor when it comes back from the machine shop I climbed up under the truck yesterday and grabbed a bunch of photos I hate how the subframe install looks and question how its going to sit I plan to run shockwaves up front and want it to sit low as it can when aired out and to be honest I know next to nothing about air bags I hate the way there is a gap between the two frames could I possibly cut the "Tail" off and box it up where it drops down ? would the so called tail keep me from airing it out and letting it sit low when I air the bags out I plan to just c-notch the rear frame when I swap my 9" in so Its not going to be totally slammed im sure but I don't want it to look goofy either ? my point there is if its not going to hurt i could box it in all the way back ? any ideas will be appreciated thanks guys
Old 01-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
Daze57

welcome aboard

nice project ya got goin there !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
Flames97

Truck looks nice.
My vote, Cut the tail off at the bottom of the original frame and then box it. That's what I'd do anyways.

'15.5 Chevy Duramax LTZ/Z71, LML, CC/SB
'77 Chevy K10, 4" lift, 33-12.50, 350/350
'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Flames97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:16 PM   #20
4Eyedtruck

would cutting it like above then boxing in the backside be adequate strength wise ? and thank you for the quick reply I have been drooling over build threads all day and looking at parts and thank you daze it is definitely a project I have a bunch of work ahead
Old 01-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #21
Flames97

I think your cut line and inside box lines look good. I would just make sure that your boxing plate covers the length of the arch. Forward of the exhaust in the pic.
I would check the outsides of that plate that's welded in, and make sure it has a weld on it. Make sence? I see it's welded on the inside of the frame. But to be completely honest, those welds don't look all that good to me. The one running up the arch doesn't look like it penetrated as good as I would like to see.
It looks like filler weeping through a hole in that last pic. If it is. I'd grind it out and check the outside like I mentioned before.

'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Old 01-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #22
Flames97

Looking at that last pic again. I'd go a few more inches toward the back with the boxing plate.
Can't wait to see the build. Good luck.

My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #23
4Eyedtruck

your making perfect sense and I will definitely extend the boxing of the frame forward and rearward when I weld it in and thank you for taking the time to look at it and I agree with you 100% on the look of the welds myself I will definitely be checking them out when I tear into it
Old 01-27-2014, 01:17 AM   #24
Daze57

i applaude the insight flames 97 has said about what to look for on your truck sir !
we ( the forum ) only want to make it safe so you can drive it for years !
good luck on your project !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:53 AM   #25
4Eyedtruck

thanks daze and that's exactly what I plan to do drive it for years without rebuilding it wishing I had changed this or that the first go round