The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2003, 12:41 PM   #1
JEsterly

looking for burb body

I have an 83 3/4 4x4 burb diesel with rebuild eng/trans, but the body needs to be replaced.. anyone have a decent body for sale on the east coast? I dont need a frame, windows..or anything but the body..
JEsterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
method2mymadnes

My brother has an 87 burb body for sale, but it is in West Tennessee. His board name is CT-Truckster if you want to contact him.
method2mymadnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:46 AM   #3
CT-Truckster
?

i got just waht you need, for cheap, but i'm not on the east coast.
CT-Truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
JEsterly

I am willing to travel.. how far are your from the NC border? what do you have, how much... any pics?
Old 01-05-2004, 04:08 AM   #5
Joey-T

If JEsterly decides this is not what he wants, I'd likely be interrested. I'll give him first dibs since he asked first

How much are you asking, and do you have pics?
Joey-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
CT-Truckster
?

well I'm about as far away from the NC as you can get in TN. I'm in Dyersburg, Its about 15-20 miles west of the Mississippi River in north west TN. its an 87 6.2 liter diesel burb, no front cap(it was wrecked in front), no radiator, no trans, but engine is still there(was running fine when i got it). rest is all there far as body. seats, dash and some dash parts(gauge cluster is still there) are gone and front carpet. headlight wiring harness is gone also. but i am keeping the front doors and the 10 bolt 3:73 rearend and steering column along with some wiper parts. the rest can go. i will put a good 3.08 10 bolt under so it will be moveable. I will post some pics if you want, and I don't think it has any rust but i will take a good look underneath and check also. $100 and you can roll it your trailer and take it with you.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:46 AM   #7
JEsterly

If you can post some pics for Joey-T and I, we would appreciate it. Yeah the only thing I need is the body, so as long as it can roll that would be great. I will have to take a look at mapquest and figure out how far you are from me.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by JEsterly
If you can post some pics for Joey-T and I, we would appreciate it. Yeah the only thing I need is the body, so as long as it can roll that would be great. I will have to take a look at mapquest and figure out how far you are from me.
Heck If you don't want the 6.2 I'll buy it from you for half what your paying for the truck. I'll come pick it up when you get back to NC.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:51 PM   #9
JEsterly

I actually have 2 extra (in pieces) 6.2 engines... i dont know **** about diesels.. but since I bought the burb, i wanted to take what I have and build a real good one... but like i said I dont know what im doing with diesels soo it may take me awhile.. in that time my wife may decide the 2 engines in parts need to leave my shed...
Old 01-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
Joey-T

We'd love to see some pics. Does it have the tailgate or the barn doors? Was the frame hurt in the crash? Does it have a title? I love my 'burb, but alas the rust termites have eaten too much. But she's still mechanically A-OK.

JEsterly, let me know if you're going for it or not. If not I think I'd take it!
Old 01-06-2004, 07:40 PM   #11
CT-Truckster
?

I'll take some pics tomorow afternoon when i get off work, It's out at my father n laws house and i haven't had a chance to get out there this week. It has the barn doors, but seems like i one of them has a dent or something, but they still shut, can't remeber for sure now. I don't think the frame was hurt, it hit above the frame and smashed the grill, and bent the fenders and the hood, but the guy I bought it from drove it for two weeks wrecked before i got it and it's been sitting for a few months now.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:08 PM   #12
JEsterly

joey go for it... it might be awhile before Id get to drive that far.. I think i might just try to fix whats wrong on mine and see how well it looks.. CT thanks though.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:37 AM   #13
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by CT-Truckster
I'll take some pics tomorow afternoon when i get off work, It's out at my father n laws house and i haven't had a chance to get out there this week. It has the barn doors, but seems like i one of them has a dent or something, but they still shut, can't remeber for sure now. I don't think the frame was hurt, it hit above the frame and smashed the grill, and bent the fenders and the hood, but the guy I bought it from drove it for two weeks wrecked before i got it and it's been sitting for a few months now.
Hay does this thing have any options? (A/C windows) 2wd or 4wd?
What's the chances of you leaving the doors on it or doing a swap for some loose doors? what other major parts are missing?

I'm needing a beater that can get some MPG. I know those 6.2's can get 20mpg with a OD tranny. I have some parts and I think I can track down a clip for cheap and I know where I can get a 3.73 14 cheap. Might be worth my time. I have a crazy Idea. I might make it a Pickup.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #14
JEsterly

A crazy Idea..make it a pickup..I think GM beat you to that thought... heck if you look at most of the 4 door trucks now they are basically a suburban with a truck bed. whats the new GM truck that has a changable back end..makes it from a truck to an suv? anyway... Love to see some picks if you do this.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:49 AM   #15
Joey-T

Aw, come on. Don't cut up a nice one for that! The body is rusting off of mine so bad that the heat won't stay in- and it's in the 20's!
Old 01-08-2004, 11:10 AM   #16
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Joey-T
Aw, come on. Don't cut up a nice one for that! The body is rusting off of mine so bad that the heat won't stay in- and it's in the 20's!
Hahaha MOVE SOUTH! hehehe I have a rust free 70 Pontiac LeMans in my stable.

You are still in line in front of me I'm just tossing ideas...Go get it if your rusted up that bad!

For the record...If I did chop it up it would be a reasonable job and I would try to make it look factory. My 88 Sub is too nice to beat on and my 75 Jimmy is now so specialized that it has ZERO cargo use. It is built for the trail and alsways packed and ready to go. It has just enough room for a cooler and that's it.

I'm looking for something I could drive daily and save the miles on my nearly pristine 88 454 Burb that just rolled 80k that if the need arised I wouldn't worry about dropping a greasy engine block in the back or run to HD for pine straw.

It would have a little mad max flavor and a full roll cage with some Exo cage. Flat black to scare folks on the hwy.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:22 AM   #17
Joey-T

Darn words on a screen!

I was typing that with a smile on my face, hope I didn't come across as some freak. I actually enjoy "monster garage" type projects. But heck, ya type something, and ya can't really get the mood across sometimes.

Anyway, with your idea, did you ever think about making one of those removeable Blazer tops work on a Suburban? If it would work, you'd have the best of both worlds (how cool would that be?). I'd imagine it would have to be done with a tailgate model. The barn doors would look kind of goofy sticking up there with the top off.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 AM   #18
Joey-T

Quote:
Flat black to scare folks on the hwy.
The best way to do that is to have a bashed up front end with other vehicles' parts hanging out of the grille. Maybe a bugshield that says "NOT INSURED." No one in their right mind would pull out in front of that.

You have any pics of that car on the net? I love old classics.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:39 AM   #19
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Joey-T
Darn words on a screen!

I was typing that with a smile on my face, hope I didn't come across as some freak. I actually enjoy "monster garage" type projects. But heck, ya type something, and ya can't really get the mood across sometimes.

Anyway, with your idea, did you ever think about making one of those removeable Blazer tops work on a Suburban? If it would work, you'd have the best of both worlds (how cool would that be?). I'd imagine it would have to be done with a tailgate model. The barn doors would look kind of goofy sticking up there with the top off.
Took nothing personal. But do go get that thing before you fall through your truck if you need it. I'll find another one day. Just happen to know where enough parts are to assemble it right now.

One of the guys on ck5.com did that with a K5 Shell. some pictures are floating around of it. Big problem is the roof line is stepeed uyp on a burb and not a K5. Little easier to account for that with the back of a truck then the roof line of a K5.

I don't need a covered area in fact that's one of my complaints with my burb is can't load it with a cherry picker. Getting ready to pull the engine on that Pontiac and will need a way to transport it. I have a trailer but it's cover as well so a pain to load something thqt heavy.

Something like this would make a good parts runner. the Deisel would make it affordable. It's something like this or make my wife drive the Burb (she's a stay at home mom) and I drive her freaking honda. I really have a dislike for the Honda. Too damn small and I feel like a monkey trying to get in and out of it. It's a POS and it was bought to be disposable. When it craps out I'll part it and send the rest to the junk yard. It has no real value.
I can justify a beater as long as it gets 20mpg. I can pay the insurance with what I would save on gas.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:24 PM   #20
CT-Truckster
?

Sorry i haven't had time to get some pics this week aftework, but I will have time tomorow and will snap a few shots. I think I am going to leave the 3:73 10 bolt in it. I have a 12 bolt i am going to use instead, so the rear end stays in it,

Grim Reaper: I really need the doors unless you got good rust free doors with power windows to swap. I dont need the glass or vent windows for that matter just shell and window motor and rig it's bolted to. but the drivers side door on the burb is missing its vent window assembly, don't really know what happened to it, I guess somebody decided they needed it worse than i did and took it out. but they didn't tear anything up in the proccess and left the window in the up position.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:09 AM   #21
Grim Reaper

Before you pull the doors and the electrical let me see what I can come up with if Joey doesn't come get it. I'm just looking for a toy. Sounds like he needs it to have a safe vehicle. He has first dibs.

I know I can come up with decent rust free doors without much problem. Let me see if I can find some with regulators.

So is it a 2wd or a 4x4? Sounds like a Silverado since it has power windows.

I'm still trying to figure out how to come get it If I can convice the wife to let me. Not real thrilled on flat towing that big of a vehicle 350 miles but if it has both axles and tires that will make it I may have to.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:08 AM   #22
CT-Truckster
?

ok here's some pics

Old 01-11-2004, 03:11 AM   #23
CT-Truckster
?

Old 01-11-2004, 03:26 AM   #24
CT-Truckster
?

the only thing is I don't have a title, I just bought it for some parts so I wasn't really concerned about it. Don't know if the guy i bought it from has it or not but I'll ask. and its a GMC.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:41 PM   #25
Grim Reaper

WOW it's in a lot better shape then I was expecting!
Joey are you going to go get it? your not going to find a better tub for the price.

Let me know.

Just found out the clip I though I would get cheap is now hung up. I did get a trailer lined up. Now I'm at the wife part of the equaision. LOL This is where I may get shot down.