The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

What Tools Do I NEED?

I'm just really getting into working on my truck and want to stop borrowing tools from my dad and neighbors. I was wondering what tools I'm really going to need when I'm working on it. I got a 263 peice Craftsman tool set for christmas and I have some other stuff, but was wondering what you guys would reccomend for me to add to my collection?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: What Tools Do I NEED?

It all depends on what your planning on working on....
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
71swb4x4

It all depends on what you want to do. I add tools as I need them. Doing a brake job? I buy the tools (provided I intend to do that job again in the future).
I think a torque wrench is mandatory.
An air compressor is really handy, as well as an impact, air ratchet, air chisel, etc.
A floor jack and QUALITY jack stands. The lighter the floor jack you can afford the better. The newer aluminum ones seem nice.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

What kind of torque wrench would you recomend?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
71swb4x4

I bought the cheap needle style, I was broke at the time. I would buy the kind that clicks if I could choose again. There are times when I am trying to torwue something down and can't get right on top of the needle to see what torque I am at. I only use my torque wrench for changing tires, so it's not that big of a deal. If I rebuild another engine I will definitely get a new torque wrench.

Last edited by 71swb4x4; 01-21-2007 at 07:33 PM.
71swb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
cdowns

i built up my tools by just buying as needed//and if i saw something i thought i'd need in the future i'd just wait till it went on sale

a factory dervice manual can give you an excellent run down of job specific tools as well as a load of info// it's about the best $25 tool you can buy
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
jcueckert13

pry bars, ford wrench (aka big f'in hammer), jack, jack stands, and a drop light
1970 C10 longbed stepside (in pieces)
1976 Dodge Dart
1963 Dodge Dart

jcueckert13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

GearWrench brand rachet wrenches...

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

What specific torque wrench should I look into for taking my wheels off?
Old 01-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969C/10 View Post
What specific torque wrench should I look into for taking my wheels off?
dont use a torque wrench for takin them off only for putting them on

for just startin out look for a midpriced torque wrench and you'll be fine something that goes up to about 100-120footlbs should be ok

i think use of a torque wrench on stock steel wheels is way overrated

Old 01-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #11
msgross

gallon of wd-40
ratchet wrenches
Craftsman A/C with impact wrench set
creeper and dolly seat
good LED or flourecent drop light
mechanics gloves and coveralls
safety glasses and ear protection
good 3+ ton jack stands and jack
sandwich bags and marker for when you remove bolts
camera to document your journey
grinder with cutoff wheel/sawzall
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

personally, I say a torque wrench is not needed. UNless you are in the engine, you'll never really need it.
Yes, I understand that every fastener has a specific torque value that it should be twisted to, however, it is way over rated to do it.
A set of 1/4 inch, 3/8 inch, and 1/2 inch sockets and rachets are a great start, open/box combination wrenches, assorted screw drivers in flat and phillips, a couple hammers... but you probably already have that covered most likely.
A disk brake piston tool makes pad chainges super easy, and at less than 20 bucks at sears, an easy tool to afford, some pry bars are needed, although, I highly recomend NOT getting craftman's 3 footer... seen too many ppl bleed from them when they snap. The smaller ones are OK, but watch what you're doing.
A floor jack and stands are manditory. Cinder blocks crumble when you put cars on them, and you have too nice a driveway to be ripping up with them anyways. A wide 'shop type' floor jack is very nice, and well worth the money. Those little ones that fit behinde the seat...I've seen too many of them break, bend, fall over.... etc.
Safety glasses are a must, ear plugs.... ehh, if you get a compressor, then some good hearing protection is needed. But honestly, I think air tools may be jumping the gun a bit for you. It's a lot of money when you are just getting in the hoddy, and esp when in school.
A nice tool box that you can keep organized is important IMO... nothing worse than digging through 5 tote boxes to find the 1/4 inch drive 3/8 socket so you can drop the last 3 tranny pan bolts. (How many of us have been there?)
Your garage is poorly lit... and personally, that drop light you have was killin my eyes, but if it works good for you, great. I recomend one with a metal reflector instead of that orange plastic one. A good flash light is needed, a mag light is pretty cheap and is always needed aroun the house.
gear wrenches are really nice, I can't speak for that brand... but I know the nice ones are super expensive. check pawn shops and e-bay.
I'm sure I'll think about more later.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
GearWrench brand rachet wrenches...
Amen! Hands down the best thing I have ever added to my toolbox.

Just be sure to buy the GearWrench brand. My local Sears had the GearWrench brand 8 piece sets on sale (SAE & Metric) for $39 this past week ... I couldn't resist and picked up another set of each.
You can never have enough open end wrenches or 3/8" drive ratchets.

Also, do yourself a favor and buy good ratchets. The Craftsman sockets are ok, but their ratchets are junk ... or with much use will soon be. I like Proto ratchets, but that is just personal preference. Keep an eye on ebay for thing such as extension, speed handles, thumb wheels, etc. These seldom used things are often the first things sold off when things get slow and the pro-wrench needs some quick cash.

The standard clear-handled Craftsman screwdrivers are ok for a weekend warrior (like myself) but if you plan on using them more than often, then I would suggest the better Craftsman Professional series.

If you don't already have one, pick up a cheap digital camera. One of the best tools in the shop for disassembly. Take lots of pics, make notes and then refer back when it's time to reassemble. I don't do this as often as I should. Shame on me.

Last edited by Shane; 01-21-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

Andy, since you came over I got a really bright halogen work light and a LED maglite since the garage is dark. I think I have enough sockets, ratchets, and wrenches for now. I think my list of things to buy will now include:
-GearWrench rachet wrenches
-3 or 4 ton jack and stands
-Pry bars
-Piston brake caliper tool (probably need new pads soon)
-Creeper
-Dewalt Drill and Sawzall
-Tool box
I think this will give me a real good start. Now I just need to work some extra hours to start buying stuff . Thanks for all of the ideas and keep them coming.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #15
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
If you don't already have one, pick up a cheap digital camera. One of the best tools in the shop for disassembly. Take lots of pics, make notes and then refer back when it's time to reassemble. I don't do this as often as I should. Shame on me.
I do have a digital camera and I will try to make sure and do this. I can get pretty forgetful about things so this will hopefully help. Thanks again Shane and Andy for the advice!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

Sawzall is an essential tool that no man should be without.

4.5" angle grinder with a $5-10 attachment to let you use a sanding disc is good.

Next in line is a good drill.

Breaker bar.

If you're doing engine work, a GOOD torque wrench that does both inch lbs and foot lbs is vital.

Lowes, believe it or not, is a great place to shop for tools. Sometimes you can manage to score great deals here and there.

A rotary tool is a nice frivilous tool to have on hand. I would NOT buy cordless, just doesn't have the torque.

A Good flourescent (sp?) shop light with plug-in (ext cord) is wonderful.

A good set of drill bits is GREAT. I just bought a new titanium Dewalt set at Home Depot for $40 and it has every size I could want. Tools are important, but good accessories are just as important.

Don't buy generic tools or accessories, you'll suffer in the long run. Buy something you'll still be using in 5-10 years. Buy each tool like you will have it for that long.

A wire brush or two for your great new drill is a good idea.

I lilke Dewalt as a brand. I think they make fine tools at a great price point.

An Air compressor makes quick work of any project. It's important to buy a good one the first time around - the tools are cheap as hell. Craftsman (@ Sears) usually has setups where you spend $300 and get a 5-7pc tool set with the compressor. This is always a big plus. Compressor is expensive, tools for it are not.

When you start getting into compressors, don't forget to buy some teflon tape and some screw-in nipples to connect the tool to the hose.

Don't forget about safety. Spend $5 and get a pitcher full of earplugs.

This is everything that comes to mind to tell someone who is just getting started.

Best thing you can do is decide what kind of tasks you'll be doing on your truck and go from there. Doing wiring and electric? Get good wire cutters, some Klien strippers and a good set of crimpers (not one of those nasty multi-tool crimper POS tools). Doing body work? Get the compressor first. Doing suspension? Compressor first. Doing engine stuff? Get the torque wrench first, then think about the compressor.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #17
shifty
Questionable

PS - Sears has been having some blowout deals on their stacked Ball Bearing-shelf toolboxes lately - around $250 for three tiers of toolbox. I can find this setup for you if you want to see it (meanwhile keep an eye out in the sunday paper). Be sure the toolbox says "ball bearing" on it, the shelves take eons to wear out.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

hey man, I have an old snap on wooden body creeper you can have... I took it to the shop as a comunity type thing... but they won't use it, they insist on getting out everryone else's good creepers ($100 creepers) Mine has been getting locked up since one of the loosers ripped the headrest.
Anyways... I got you covered on a creeper.
Now, I may get flamed for this one, but... Harbod freight can save you some $$. There is one around the corner from here, and one up in your neck of the woods, but I don't know where. When walking through there tools, if you are interested in something, look at it, figure in your mind how it'll break. If it'll make you bleed when it goes, or kill something on your truck, then put it back. If it is a low stress tool that is seldom used, then go for it. I have a hand full of tools from there... and going by that mentality, NOTHING has bit me in the 12 bolt yet. I have a cut off wheel from there.. .a whopping 8 bucks, and it's been used 4 or 5 days each week, some times for hrs at a time, and it's been spinning for 4 years now. A lock plate depressor for later model GM columns... another 8 or 10 dollar piece... I had to modify it a bit, but it's lasted me 4 years also.
Pry bars? no... I saw a kid get cut up from them. Sockets, wrenches... no way. There impact sockets are OK if you have an old or low power impact, but for the high zoot new models (mine has over 700 pounds of torque) no way.
I agree about crafts man's screw drivers.. the see through handles ones are ok-ish. But, the money spent on the upgraded professional line is quite a bit better. However... look at the cost, and remember, they are both good forever. The professional line of rachets are cool... we have one on our service truck that is a few years old, and it feels nice, and works grerat. This may be right before there rachet quality went to the crapper though.
As for the box... a tote box like this;
will be needed for junk yard trips... plastic is much better than you'd think, but the handle will break off in a few years. The metal ones hold up, but they rust, and dent easily, plus the corners will snag your pants (or thigh) and rip them.
Tough call.
For the home box.. .this one is on sale right now;

Black tool boxes look better IMO, but the real cool part, the neighborhood punks won't see it in the dark corner of the garage when you are working with the door up in the summer, and if they don't see it, they are less likely to break in at night and rip you off.
This sucker is on sale right now too... http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...Cabinet+Combos for $429. This is a set up with the bearings on the drawers. VERY nice upgrade. Come by my work sometime and I'll show you what a PITA non bearing boxes are... we have a dude with a box from the 70's... no bearings, it sucks.
Tool carts are nice too, and can hold a tote box for now if you can't swing 500 bucks for a box, if you go this route, get onewith the frame work like this;

instead of this;

You can see the top one is WAY stronger than the second one. The top one will last you years and years... the second one... I'd say you'd only get 3 or 4 years out of it. 've seen ppl take the top shalf, flip it upside down, and bolt down a 3 or 4 drawer tote box on it, mobilize all the common tools you would use.
But, as you can see, it is real easy toi get carried away.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 PM   #19
shifty
Questionable

That box up there (three level black) Andy posted is the exact one I'm talking about. Keep an eye out the next few weeks. They regularly drop the price to near $350 - saw a two-tier (the top and bottom pieces) for $249 week of Christmas. Ball Bearing, too. Local circulars always show a better price.

Also, you can enroll in the "Craftsman tool club". It's free, do it at any sears. They send you a special catalog every 6-8 weeks with sick deals on things, and you get a member card that will knock 10-15% off of all purchases.

For budget tool shopping, don't forget about your local Craigslist - www.craigslist.org - pick your closest city over on the right-hand side and shop the tools section. Lots of deals in there from people who bought something, used it once, and are selling for half the price they paid because it's gathering dust.

Lowes often has display items and returned items for sale here, also. 30% off, no questions asked. Sometimes doesn't come with a box, but ... who cares ?!

Old 01-21-2007, 11:58 PM   #20
FarmTruk
In Memoriam...

To add my $0.02...I religously use wheel chocks whenever only one axle is in the air. I don't trust that thing from rolling off the stand(s) when part or all of me is under it.
FarmTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:05 AM   #21
cdowns

as far as spending $400-$500 on a tool box i'd really reccomend NOT //spend that money on actual tools that can do work// a couple of inexpensive tool boxes from home depot can hold alot of tools// having ball bearing roller shelves will never be as much of an advantage when doing a job as having a quality tool in your hand

cant ever have too many clamps i love clams all shapes and sizes

Old 01-22-2007, 01:06 AM   #22
Shane
Account Suspended

cdowns is right on the money.

Save your money for better tools, you can always buy the nicer box later. The good box doesn't do squat for whatever it is you're working on ... the tools do.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:54 PM   #23
1969C/10
Unskilled Labor

Thanks again guys for all of the ideas. Andy, hopefully I can check out the creeper when I come over to "help" on your engine swap. I will try to get some more tools and maybe one of the ball bearing tool boxes for my birthday. I'm already a craftsman club member so that will help out on the price. Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #24
shifty
Questionable

I would normally agree with you guys on the toolbox - from a logic perspective it's true; but what happens when someone opens up that little toolbox or just runs off with it completely? Then there goes the little money you spent on the toolbox and your tools

But, good point. I'd buy some tools too. I'm giving suggestions based on a year of tool buying.

I didn't mention a jack and jackstands - both are pretty useful in the shop.

Old 01-22-2007, 06:16 PM   #25
bobthecop

The old mechanics I know have old worn out craftsman tool boxes, full of good quality tools, the young guys think that status is a high dollar box, unless you have the cash to spend, get a cheaper box, used is the way to go. I use dead blow hammers, they don't bounce and hit back. I also have a lot of the tools listed above and I thought I would buy what I thought I would need only to find out I needed something I didn't have, so get into the project and see what you need, find a pawn shop that has lots of used stuff, the warranty follows the tool not the owner. I have bought junk craftsman tools ant paid sears a visit and viola new tools. Start with the set you have you will be surprised at how much you can do with a few well chosen tools. I have a bunch I have bought and never used. BTW swivel sockets come in very handy.
1969 c10 parts truck
1969 C-10 ( my sons)
1992 Silverado 4X4 (now the boys truck)(now mine again)
2002 Tarus (my wife loves that car)

Last edited by bobthecop; 01-22-2007 at 06:17 PM.
bobthecop is offline   Reply With Quote