The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2020, 11:11 PM   #1
Sheepdip

Re: 67-72 Development/Concept Photos Galore!

Just saw this for the first time today....Very interesting to say the least.

I noticed some of the photo's had some clay residue on the ground which I believe is how they used to shape some of the panels to get the effect/design they were after.

And in todays world the whole shebang is computer generated.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post
Just saw this for the first time today....Very interesting to say the least.

I noticed some of the photo's had some clay residue on the ground which I believe is how they used to shape some of the panels to get the effect/design they were after.

Yeah, the artistic side is gone.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
SkidmoreGarage

Not to disagree for the sake of disagreement, but the computer is just a tool and there are just as many, or more, artists and designers as there were in 1964. The problem I see is that they take the creative designs and focus group them to death. Most people off the street (buyers) don't know what is aesthetically good or bad when they first look at it... Then they layer in cost reduction. Everything becomes over-masculine, but streamlined, plasticy designs which could be made by any manufacturer and painted in silver, black, or white.

I think modern GM is one of the worst companies when it comes to risk and design. Arguably, their best current designs are retro based. I don't think anyone is rushing out to pick up a new blazer, hoping it's a modern classic.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
Stephen717

I would actually like having that dash and similar tail lights. It'd make people stop and stare and it'd be fun to tell people that "this was one of the designs gm had thought up for the action line series of pickups". Idk I guess I would just like the truck to be more unique than the other c10s on the road
Attached Images

Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdip View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Yeah, the artistic side is gone.
Going back to address these earlier comments:

Not to be contrary but we (GM) still start with the clay. After the clay model looks like what the designers have in mind is is scanned and coverted to CAD data. The CAD styling data is what is sent to engineering to make it work.

It's an iterative process so as long as the clay is in the studio the designers feel like they can make subtle changes. Also - as engineering determines that some concepts won't work in real life the suggestions are cycled back through for studio response and input.

Usually the model is torn down and the clay recycled immediately at the conclusion of the project (which is probably for the best in view of the above). There were a few models that were retained, in expectation of historical significance, stored in the basement of the studio.

The CAD is no different than a 2D drawing, in terms of the technical and practical knowledge that guides it, except that it is more powerful for visualization because you can dice it and slice it and roll it around in ways you could never do with pencil and paper. It's like using a power nailer to do carpentry instead of a hammer and loose nails. Both require a skilled operator, both get the same job done.

In one case I'm standing behind a draftsman looking over his shoulder while he works on a computer, in the other case I'm standing behind a draftsman looking over his shoulder while he works on a drawing board. Or - I might be standing behind a sculptor looking over his shoulder while he peels bits of clay onto the floor. It is still me watching over the progress in any case.

So: Clay ==>CAD==>tools==>parts.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-20-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
toms68cst

Sometimes the images in the background are really interesting. The one COE design truck resembles the Deora. The picture behind it looks like a Harry Bently Bradly drawing. I also see what looks like an open roof El Camino design.
Attached Images

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 11:16 PM   #7
70c10-08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
Sometimes the images in the background are really interesting. The one COE design truck resembles the Deora. The picture behind it looks like a Harry Bently Bradly drawing. I also see what looks like an open roof El Camino design.
That COE truck kinda makes me think of the GMC motorhome if it was built as a pickup
70c10-08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 07:01 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10-08 View Post
That COE truck kinda makes me think of the GMC motorhome if it was built as a pickup
I do see that, too. Now someone needs to build one. That open top I have seen fullsize photos of. What a concept. If real life could only be so full of free for fun time to have a market that would bear the need

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:01 PM   #9
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Had to bump this thread, I bookmarked it several years ago and like to look at it on occasion.
The 2 pics below are just pure perfection IMO. This is what a truck is all about.
Attached Images

Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:49 PM   #10
Getter-Done

Glad you brought it to the Top.

Big Back Glass 67.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2023, 08:39 AM   #11
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
Had to bump this thread, I bookmarked it several years ago and like to look at it on occasion.
The 2 pics below are just pure perfection IMO. This is what a truck is all about.
I'm reminded the C/K development group at the Milford Proving Ground had a relationship with a farmer in the midwest (Illinois, I think) named Stoney Atkins.

I don't think we provided vehicles but we would often use his property and operations for photo shoots for marketing.

I'm not saying these specific photos are, but many of the photos from the 60's and 70's of trucks working would be from his place.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:34 AM   #12
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicklajoie View Post
This is what a truck is all about.
I agree. Pickups trucks used to have a unique look. Modern pickups are designed for the best of two worlds, mixing the truck look with the car look, somewhere all along the way, they lost their nostalgic look and charm.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote