The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
Sunriver Ken

'76 K10 Suspension Questions

Hi guys, I am a new member. I have owned numerous Chev pickups and love the units and the parts availability. I just purchased a '76 K10 Short-stepside, Scottsdale model. It has a 350 auto and a 350 Targetmaster engine. It is going to require new front outer fenders and one new inner fender but overall is in descent shape with little heavy rust. Future plans are to install a 4-speed automatic (which one makes the easiest conversion?). Bucket seats will replace the current bench. Dash will be redone but generally kept in the stock configuration until I can upgrade to digital instruments. I will also be sriping all chrome and adding a tblar grill.

I don't want an off-road vehicle and really don't need the 4x4 drivetrain. I would probably be happier with a short-wide 2x4 but I've got what I've got.

QUESTION: The pickup (with new shocks and standard tires) rides like A TRUCK. I want it to ride more like a modern Chevy or Ford pickup but am not sure how to make this happen. If I can do it with the 4x4 feature in tact fine but how would I do it without changing the entire suspension (front and rear)? Will I need to convert from 4x4 to 4x2?

When I figure out how to post pictures I will do so,

Ken
Sunriver Ken is offline   Reply With Quote