The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2020, 08:28 PM   #76
vince1

Re: 79 350 overhaul

Yeah I am curious too Gary on initial timing. I will say that the distributer shows like in Mike's picture, truck fires right up with no starter kick back and purrs almost like a kitten, roars like crazy when I step on the gas. I put a timing light on it and that line on the damper is lagging way down the circumference by about 3" from the index plate. I guess it has moved?

Can I ask of your expertise, is it dangerous to leave it like that or should I be changing the damper? I am wondering about all those balancing holes drilled into the thing.

Last edited by vince1; 05-02-2020 at 08:41 AM.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:49 PM   #77
AussieinNC

It is possible the damper has been changed from the factory installed damper.

There are several different damper sizes and placements of the timing tabs and timing lines on the damper. Mixing things up can cause some crazy results.

I use a flexible stick on timing tape and accurately set TDC using the positive stop technique.

First .... remove all plugs and install a A STOP in no. 1 cylinder
( I use the Crane cams tool...https://www.jegs.com/i/Crane-Cams/271/99412-1/10002/-1).
Slowly turn motor BY HAND........ ( socket on damper or whatever ) turn until piston hits the STOP ......
mark the damper at the "0" on the timing tab ....

Second... turn motor in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION until it hits the stop AGAIN .......mark the damper at the "0" position again ......

HALF WAY BETWEEN THE TWO MARKS IS EXACT TOP DEAD CENTER ... mark the damper there ( I use a file edge then paint it white )
You would be surprised at how many small block Chevy damper marks are NOT on the money ....

I find this to be the most accurate way to set timing and full advance etc.

This link will provide some interesting reading as to the variety of dampers, tabs and keyway to timing mark positions.

https://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/..._TDC_lines_SBC

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

Last edited by AussieinNC; 05-01-2020 at 10:02 PM.
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #78
vince1

Thank you for this. If there was a problem I am surprised I never caught that on assembly. I will look into it some more.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #79
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince1 View Post
Thank you for this. If there was a problem I am surprised I never caught that on assembly. I will look into it some more.
There are different locations for the timing tab and therefore the timing index slot in the damper as different accessories were added over the years.

Later model engines with the aluminum front covers had different balancers again due to the mounting point changing again.

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 06:43 PM   #80
vince1

Thanks Aussie, finesse in the tuning will come later. I can say that I have finally committed the firing order to memory. I had the 6 cyl order down pat probably 50 years ago. My next priority will be to find a shroud or put electric fans on it. I don't want to get caught in a heat wave without that taken care of. It needs more exhaust work too. In fact it needs a lot of work. The main thing it has going for it is that everybody thinks it looks cool as a beater.