The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Hatch83

52' 3100 UK build

So... First real post on this forum -(have loved reading everyone else's threads so far!)

Long story short I received my 1952 3100 mid summer last year, she was imported by a great uk based company from (I believe) South Carolina. Non runner but relatively solid (few bumps/holes in usual places)

... The last few months I have been loosely planning the build in my head-I thought I would out line it on here to see if anyone had any comments/suggestions...

I want the finished truck to look classically/traditionally finished (not rat look) and want to run as a reliable every day run around (a bit boring I know but I have other more adventurous projects in mind a bit further down the line)

Atm I am thinking keeping the original chassis (largely due to a lack of s10s in this country!) but with an ifs clip (I found a uk based supplier selling heidts brand kits-according to reviews this is a reliable brands-but would appreciate any opinions???

For the engine (I am sure this is going to p*ss some people off!) I was kind of put off the predicted 15mpg of a 350 small block (I don't want to be thinking of my wallet every time I turn the key) I am kind if playing with the idea of putting a diesel engine in (sorry!) I have seen a couple if threads of people using cummins or duramax engines on here-though again due to a complete lack of availability over here I am currently playing with the idea of pulling a 3l td out of a late 90's BMW 5 series-with 180 bhp I know this won't be the most exciting of rides but will go comfortably from a to b (and hopefully back to a with out having to fill up again!! -also my mechanic friend seems pretty confident we can also use the axel/wiring etc from the Beemer donor car...

Body work etc is a whole other story for another day but I wanted to post this plan and see what everyone's opinion was?!
Hatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #2
ghettoluxury

Re: 52' 3100 UK build

Sounds good, there is a thread on here with a OM617 mercedes turbo diesel in it. Here is a link to it. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=588827

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #3
Hatch83

Re: 52' 3100 UK build

Hi Ghettoluxury! -thanks for the follow and the link-will be sure to check it out!
Hatch83 is offline   Reply With Quote