The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Truthamedia

Please help with my build

I am sixteen. Very new to this.
I have two complete trucks:
1970 long stepper c10-$150
250 inline six
Drum brakes all around
coils all around
power nothing
original everything

1972 long fleet c10- $200
350 sb
coil all around
drum all around
power nothing

I also have a 1972 4x4 chassis that has power steering, brakes, and disc brakes in front.

I NEED HELP

Budget: CHEAP but effective.
engine: 1000$
Suspension- 500$
Brakes and steering-as little as safely possible
Interior- As much as needed to get what I want.

I have planned this and can't make up my mind on how I want to go about this build. So please help. I'll try to keep this list of questions organized.
First, I am using the long fleet for my base. It has very little rust (only on the right rocker panel. The other truck I will either part out or sell as whole (depending if i use anything out of it.)

SOME OF THESE QUESTIONS MAY CONTRADICT OTHERS SINCE I AM LOW ON CHASSIS COMPONENT KNOWLEDGE. PLEASE READ THE WHOLE THING
SO on to the questions:

Suspension: I want to spend up to 500 bucks on this section. seriously.
I want to tow my boat. I want to lower my truck. Damn..... (boat has up to a 300 lb tounge weight.)
SO I am thinking either a 3/5 drop (coil springs) or a 4/6 drop (coil springs)
What would I need to do? what are my options? is there anything else I have to think about besides buying and installing? (shocks obviously will be changed) I dont want to bag my truck with helper bags YET. no money for it. If I cant tow than oh well. Any links to the best coil drops?

Brakes: I want to spend up to 150 bucks on this section. Seriously.
Can I swap the disc brakes on my 4x4 chassis to my 72? what would be needed to do so? if not, what are my other options?

Can I Put power brakes from the 4x4 on the 72? Are the discs and the power brake system interlinked? how would I go about this?

Steering: I dont want to spend anything on this. dead serious.
With the above answered (hopefully) would there be any changes I need to make to the steering? Can I put power steering from the 4x4 onto the 72'? If so how do I go about it?

wheels + Tires: Eventually I will want new wheels + tires. I am not converting to 5 spoke I have these in mind:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-10428538NC/
First question is can I even get these to fit? They are designed for newer trucks so If I need to buy a spacer than I will just buy a 5 lug spacer and get original torq thrusts. Any tips? Considering the drop, and whether or not I will have the disc brakes on the front?
Also, tire size. I want a staggered look. Do I stagger the tire size or do I stagger the rim size? Which looks better? What do you recommend? I WILL NOT spend more than 900 dollars on tires. The stagger will probably be 2 inches. any pics of staggered vs. non staggered with either a 3/5 or a 4/6?
The wider the tire the better. Thanks!

Any other tips for me? I am sure there will be stuff I am forgetting so I will probably be asking alot of them on this thread. PLEASE help I cant spend so much on this and then have all of the components not work as one. thanks!
Truthamedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Please help with my build

Fisrt off you can drop I'd say do the 3/5 with springs when you go lower you may get into driveline angle differences that may cause vibrations. Now the disc brakes stuff off of your 4x4 will not work on the 2wd neither will the power steering box as it turns differently. Now the booster will work on there and you asked if the booster disc brakes are interlinked. Yes and no they proprotion valve does that [that is the little rectangle box with all the lines going to it] Fixing your brakes for 150 probably not gonna happen and steering for zero not gonna happen either. What you should do first in stead of trying to lower it first is get it running and driving and steering and stoping SAFELY and then take the money leftover if any and then do a drop. I know you want to bo cool with a lowered truck but a ill handleing and poor stopping truck is not coolbe any ones description. I have been doing this for a long time and even when I was young, I'd make my stuff safe firsrt then fast or low or pretty or whatever I was going for at that time. I am not some guy that just sits behind a keyboard telling people what to do about their stuff, I own a body shop and used car bussiness and have since 1987 and have owned probably close to 1,800 cars and trucks and if they were unsafe I would make them safe first or junk them. Do you want to get your truck all running and stuff and go pick up your girl then have to get a ride home from somebody cause the truck didn't stop and you smashed thru a stoplight into traffic wrecking you pride and joy? I am not giving you any advise that I have'nt given to my son and yes my daughter on their projects and many others from around here that come to me for help. Be safe be carefull and have some fun with it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
dracula4999

Looks like the 4x4 has everything you want, except for the ability to lower it... I would put a 4-6 inch lift on the 4x4, buy a drop hitch and be done. If you back a boat in the water at some lake with your truck lowered like that might end up with water in the interior, dont have to worry about that with a jacked up 4x4.
dracula4999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
midniteblues

when I was younger all the old fellows allways said too me safety first... tires(cause a blow out leads to a wreck)
steering( hope you can understand that one)
brakes...
suspention(40yr old parts do fail)
all of this is very important if you plan on towing anything
and a lil'$ spread everywhere is whats needed
to make these old pickups safe
some knowledge on what to look for with worn out parts helps alot
looking good or going fast should allways be last priority
I know i really didnt help you out in you questions
but I said this too my boy an his friends countless times
guess that makes me the old fellow lol.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have the same suggestion as hugger.The only difference I would suggest is to do it with what you got.Some things as mentioned wont fit,so trade them for what will.For a driver I would only drop 2-4 and use springs but swap to disc brakes first.The front suspension from any 1/2 ton Chevy up to 1986? will work.Use the PS PB stuff from the donor for the front suspension.Rebuild/replace what you need to.Do a compression test on both engines and determine which is in better shape.The 6 will work fine but the 350 will be a more budget concious build due to parts availability.
If you want the 350 fix which is in the best shape for now and build as budget allows.Use a set of rally wheels and some Khumos or other reasonably priced tire.Don't try to get fancy,get safe and reliable.You can be the guy taking the other guys home when their prettier/fancier but less reliable crap dies.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
master 1969 c10

Hi Buddy glade to here your in our family now we help each other out Your wanting to drop it but u have a boat to tow. I have is a brand new set of air shocks I am not going to use them so if u pay the freight say $25.00 I will gave them to u. I have a few other partslet me no and I will see if I have any. I thank it great your so young and wanting to save one of these great old trucks. Doug
master 1969 c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Truthamedia

Okay, Couple questions. But first I didn't want to give the impression that I was just another sixteen year old wanting to look cool. I think stock ride height looks amazing. but I also like lowered. which is why I am willing to pay that much. so on to questions,

I want to learn on this site more than anything. But I also want help with the build.

So can you explain why the disc brakes on the 1972 1/2 ton 4x4 wont fit onto the 1972 1/2 ton 2wd disc brakes? I CANNOT pay 2 grand to switch to disc brakes.

Does anyone have a front end for a 72' if i cant make the parts I have work?

Do I NEED power steering? I actually kinda like the simplicity of the steering box. The truck will be a 1/4 mile kinda truck and daily driver so no insanely hard turns or anything.

I cant put the stuff on the 4x4 chassis cuz it is a longbed and the chassis was cut before i bought it to accommodate a flatbed.

Hows this, Can one of you list what is absolutely needed to get the truck running safely. By safe I mean it can stop if I am going 45 mph and the light turns yellow and I know I cant make it. I dont care about arm fatigue so steering isnt my priority. Also, tell me how I can get these things very inexpensive. I mean it I have 2 years to do this project and I need the truck running and driveable before school (september) for under $1500. the chassis budget (not including lowering) will have to be under 700. Please help I have three jobs and Really want this truck to be done before college takes over.

Thanks...
Old 06-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
1972BackInBlackC10

since your not putting the body on the 4x4 chassis because it was cut to accomodate a flat bed and since you basically cant use anything suspension wise on your 2 wheel drive list it for sale and put the money towards your project, ask or look around on here to get an idea of what its worth

figure out what you truck needs body, interior wise etc then see what can be used from your long box stepper, sell the stepper for extra cash or if you can even trade it to someone for a 73-87 chev body condition will not matter since the 73-87 will be used for front disc brakes, power steering and power brakes, if your lucky it will even come with a 350

dont cheap out on your steering and brakes, if you do all this work and even just a ball joint breaks all your hard work was for nothing, buy new brake pads take your brake rotors and drums in to a shop to be inspected if your not sure what to check for, take your truck in and get a wheel lignment done they guys will tell you what needs to be replaced saving you time and money

just some ideas for you to think about, when you do your brakes or replace a steering part if your not sure ask or research here someone will know how to do it if you dont or will know what tools you need
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
Truthamedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
cant use anything suspension wise on your 2 wheel drive list it for sale and put the money towards your project, ask or look around on here to get an idea of what its worth

figure out what you truck needs body, interior wise etc then see what can be used from your long box stepper, sell the stepper for extra cash or if you can even trade it to someone for a 73-87 chev body condition will not matter since the 73-87 will be used for front disc brakes, power steering and power brakes, if your lucky it will even come with a 350
Yeah I probably cant get anything from the 4x4 beyond scrap cash (a ford body was jerry rigged onto it) but I do plan on using the parts I need out of the long stepper and then parting it out. And I dont want to cheap out on the parts its just frustrating seeing all these kids having brand new 30000 dollar beamers that their parents bought them and Im ready to show them what real work gets you and Im going to graduate while saving up for circular pieces of metal... ya know?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #10
VA72C10
VA72C10

Check ebay and of course the parts board here for deals on the parts. Take the power steering pump and brackets off the engine of the 4x4 as well as the booster w/ bracket/master/prop valve and then take everything else off with value body wise and small part wise before scrapping it. Sell the ps gearbox as a 4x4 of course...
Any pictures you can post will help as we can spot things of value for you to sell to pay for your needed parts.
You most likely will make a lot more parting then scrapping the long stepper also. Piece by piece pays more than a whole truck unfortunately...

In the same regard....consider finding a project or complete frame with parts since you're not tied to a particular truck yet....lwb frames don't hold much value...I have one that's got a sway bar and all new wheel cylinders and new brakes (4 wheel drums though) and some new brake lines and can't sell it for 500 including wheels/tires (even though the brake work receipts alone are over 500)
Sold a 5 lug frame with disc front (and a sway bar) for 250 because I was out of room and needed it gone...so deals are definitely out there...
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
hugger6933

The 4x4 parts won't work period .it would be like trying to put a hamburger patty on a hotdog bun. They are two completely different machines and the 4x4 stuff won't even bolt up ait would need to. I not going to judge you by age ofr anything else I know kinda how it is . My son and daughter went to the local private school and I had to give up a lot for them to do so. Being a single dad made it rough but my son's class had 35 kids in it and out of those Iknow of 6 families that the parent were millionaires. By SR. year some were on the 3rd or 4th new silverado or mercedees or corvette and he is driving a rebuilt truck that we put together. One of his friends looked inside his truck one day pionted at the window cranks and asked what is that for. he answered window roller and she said I did'nt even know they still made those. My son was crestfallen for several days. I admire you for willing to work to ride and not just stand with your hand out gripping that your new car is the wrong coloror that the wheel package is wrong. I heard those a stories from my sons classmates as to why they either had gotten or needed new cars.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
dracula4999

The reason why the 4x4 wont work is because on a 2wd you have spindles that hold the brake calipers and rotors, the spindles are connected to the a arms. On a 4wd you dont have a arms, or spindles. You have axle shafts and hubs. If you can find a 73-87 2wd truck dirt cheap (and you can) the whole front end can be unbolted from the frame and changed over to your truck which would give you the later model motor mounts and brakes. Or you can just take the brakes off and switch them over.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Truthamedia

Alright thanks for all the help you guys are giving me. And in regard to hugger's post, it seems that alot of my generation are getting things handed to them. Sadly. I'm actually glad my pa made me work for everything I have.
I'd much rather have an old rust bucket than a brand new silverado...
I lied. I'd take the silverado, then sell it to pay for my old rust bucket (:

In regard to the build, Here's some pictures of the parts 4x4 as it sits right now. Point some things out for me please. And thanks for telling me the difference in the front ends of the 2wd and 4wd.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The complete PS system,pump,lines and box.The front and rear axles(try to find someone building a samuri offroader to sell them to).The transmission,the transfer case,even the engine block may be worth something.Pick the best set of doors and keep them for yours.Keep the bed that is in the best shape.When you have everything together and running,reliable and safe,then take the leftovers to scrp for $$$ to do some(probably not all) of the interior.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Truthamedia

Okay sounds good. Also, I am confused I thought all 71-72 trucks came with front disc brakes? I didnt look insanely hard at the truck as I am picking it up next week. (I was vigilant for rust and things but didnt look for goodies) so I cant be 100% sure they are drum on the front. I do know that it has manual brakes which I have never heard of disc brakes having manual brakes. Can somebody clarify please?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
dracula4999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthamedia View Post
Okay sounds good. Also, I am confused I thought all 71-72 trucks came with front disc brakes? I didnt look insanely hard at the truck as I am picking it up next week. (I was vigilant for rust and things but didnt look for goodies) so I cant be 100% sure they are drum on the front. I do know that it has manual brakes which I have never heard of disc brakes having manual brakes. Can somebody clarify please?
my 71 gmc has manual disc brakes and i love it! i dont have to worry about vacuum issues with my cam. im assuming its the original set up but its a 40 year old truck and someone might have just put discs on it. Either way they work great, just have to push a little harder at a stop light to stay still.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Truthamedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula4999 View Post
my 71 gmc has manual disc brakes and i love it! i dont have to worry about vacuum issues with my cam. im assuming its the original set up but its a 40 year old truck and someone might have just put discs on it. Either way they work great, just have to push a little harder at a stop light to stay still.
Well I will check again in a week when I pick it up. Hopefully I just saw wrong and it does have discs in the front. *knock on wood