The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2023, 06:37 PM   #26
Factory Guy

Re: 4L80E - column shift

A great video how to use your current shift linkage "stuff", can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/jh7UkYNqVqk

I plan to do this to mine when I get to the 4L80e transmission.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 02:55 AM   #27
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
You have to change the detents in the column. It's kind of involved, but how involved depends on the column. A straight column with the detent on the outside is pretty simple, tilts have to be taken apart to get to it though. This is on my wagon I built several years back, look at post #199. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-wagon-10.html
An honest inquiry. Not trying to create a debate. In my situation I have the linkage/geometry adjusted from column to the transmission and the indicator lines up in all of the gears. In my simple mind if was able to line up the indicator in the column the detents are lined up as well. Are you saying that the detents still need to be modified?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 09:57 AM   #28
Accelo

I am doing a little guessing here as I haven't measured the indicators myself.
I believe the indicators with the extra gear are embossed into the same space as the three speed automatics. If you just relocated the stock linkage, to fit the 4 speed, it will be off. If you use aftermarket linkage the ratio is adjustable at the transmission shift station lever.
This makes the alignment possible but slightly more difficult shifting as the spacing is so close and the shift effort is slightly higher.
My preference is the stock indicator (1-3). With 1st gear, of the 1-4, off to the right far enough it is barely or not a all visible. If you have the electronic overdirves it really makes little difference as the full throttle shifting rpm is programmable and no reason to shift it yourself.

Others not familiar with the truck's shifting have no issues getting it in gear. Even if the pick first and get second it's not a safety issue. It come down to "Oh you have an overdirve" when they spot the indicator on the column.
Cheers
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 03:55 AM   #29
Richard

Unhappy Re: 4L80E - column shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I am doing a little guessing here as I haven't measured the indicators myself.
I believe the indicators with the extra gear are embossed into the same space as the three speed automatics. If you just relocated the stock linkage, to fit the 4 speed, it will be off. If you use aftermarket linkage the ratio is adjustable at the transmission shift station lever.
This makes the alignment possible but slightly more difficult shifting as the spacing is so close and the shift effort is slightly higher.
My preference is the stock indicator (1-3). With 1st gear, of the 1-4, off to the right far enough it is barely or not a all visible. If you have the electronic overdirves it really makes little difference as the full throttle shifting rpm is programmable and no reason to shift it yourself.

Others not familiar with the truck's shifting have no issues getting it in gear. Even if the pick first and get second it's not a safety issue. It come down to "Oh you have an overdirve" when they spot the indicator on the column.
Cheers
Shifting is quite easy due to the extended lever on the transmission. Spacing is not close. Same as stock. Again, everything lines up.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:35 PM   #30
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
You have to change the detents in the column. It's kind of involved, but how involved depends on the column. A straight column with the detent on the outside is pretty simple, tilts have to be taken apart to get to it though. This is on my wagon I built several years back, look at post #199. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-wagon-10.html
Defiantly cannot confirm this, my 87 r10 same as a c-10 has tilt and had a 4l60e and now a 6l80e..I'm picky as a mofo... all gears line up no problems. I know I adjusted the little string thing that connects to the plastic shift column to make it right.
Im using factory 87 tilt column, factory 87 linkages, moved the linkage pivot part 1 hole forward... ill take a picture , but its just a rectangle 3/8 aluminum plate with 3 holes

1st bolt hole goes through aluminum plate and frame
2nd bolt hole goes through stock shift pivot bracket, aluminum plate and frame
3rd bolt hole goes through stock shift pivot bracket and aluminum plate

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 10:40 AM   #31
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
Defiantly cannot confirm this, my 87 r10 same as a c-10 has tilt and had a 4l60e and now a 6l80e..I'm picky as a mofo... all gears line up no problems. I know I adjusted the little string thing that connects to the plastic shift column to make it right.
Im using factory 87 tilt column, factory 87 linkages, moved the linkage pivot part 1 hole forward... ill take a picture , but its just a rectangle 3/8 aluminum plate with 3 holes

I was referring to a 67-72 chevy truck column. A 1987 would have had a 700r4, so it already has an overdrive detent in the column. Sure, you can get an older one close, but I have never been able to get the shifter to fall into position like they do with a 3 speed automatic the way they do from the factory.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #32
v30crewcab

the only detents in the column are the P-N-R spots. past that its open. I have lokar style straight linkage on my 4l80 in the 71 and it works great. D is were its supposed to be. 1st is just lower down than the indicator.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:15 PM   #33
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factory Guy View Post
A great video how to use your current shift linkage "stuff", can be seen here:

https://youtu.be/jh7UkYNqVqk

I plan to do this to mine when I get to the 4L80e transmission.
How did that work out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post

Do you have any pictures of your modification? I'm doing an 8L90 in my 84 and so far, it doesn't look like it will work. Appreciate the help.

Rob
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote