The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2023, 04:16 PM   #26
AussieinNC

Re: 6.0 ls rocker arms clatter

This sounds a lot like a missing or defective oil gallery dog bone...the factory ones are made of plastic and sometimes fail, resulting in oil bypassing the filtering process and upsetting the oil flow throughout the engine.

The dog bone is located in the main oil gallery, drivers side of the engine, accessible under the rear main seal retainer....

See link for a video explaining its role....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7p0h2VwGP0

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:01 AM   #27
bigdaddy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
What is your oil pressure? I have heard of a lot of junk lifters these days, but rarely do you hear that they are all collapsed.

As stated previously, I would go with Morel of Johnsford. They both manufacture their own lifters and stand behind them.
my oil pressure was normal at 35-40 psi with the factory lifters when i swapped to the new ls7 lifters oil psi was only around 20 psi every time i measured for longer push rods there would be no lash but as soon as i restart the engine the lash comes rite back i went from the factory 7.400 to 7.550 with no luck stopping the lash
bigdaddy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:07 AM   #28
bigdaddy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
This sounds a lot like a missing or defective oil gallery dog bone...the factory ones are made of plastic and sometimes fail, resulting in oil bypassing the filtering process and upsetting the oil flow throughout the engine.

The dog bone is located in the main oil gallery, drivers side of the engine, accessible under the rear main seal retainer....

See link for a video explaining its role....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7p0h2VwGP0
yes i removed the old one and it was good put in the new one no change in oil psi got the block at machine shop to get new cam bearings they still looked good but i wont know until i put it back together going back with a new btr camshaft and stock sbc roller lifters and stock beehive .560 valve springs

Last edited by bigdaddy4x4; 07-28-2023 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:41 AM   #29
Joyridin

Where did you take the oil pressure reading? Was it down by the filter, or at the top of the engine where the factory had a sensor? I don't recall if the bypass on the pan is before or after the filter, but could you have something wrong with the pressure relief valve that is in the pan on some models and it is allowing the pressure to bleed back into the pan? This might give you a good reading at the bottom of the engine, but a low reading at the top.
Joyridin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:07 PM   #30
AussieinNC

Make sure oil pressure relief valve is ok....see the video for an explanation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNafsqH0vPI

2012 Chevy Equinox

Old 07-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #31
bigdaddy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
Where did you take the oil pressure reading? Was it down by the filter, or at the top of the engine where the factory had a sensor? I don't recall if the bypass on the pan is before or after the filter, but could you have something wrong with the pressure relief valve that is in the pan on some models and it is allowing the pressure to bleed back into the pan? This might give you a good reading at the bottom of the engine, but a low reading at the top.
when i first installed the 585 cam and started the truck the dash oil gauge showed no oil pressure then it would shoot up to 40 and go back down to zero i pulled a valve cover and seen it was pumping oil so i went and put a gauge on the oil cooler line at the oil filter it showed 50 psi had to replace the oil sender it still only reads less than 40 psi on the dash when i put in the new the ls7 lifters the oil psi only sets at 20 psi on the dash i have not checked with a gauge at the oil cooler again with the ls7 lifters i could never get them to remove the rocker arm lash i will pull the pressure releif valve in the oil pan and get a new one put in just to be sure
Old 08-05-2023, 06:40 PM   #32
bigdaddy4x4

here is some pics of the new ls7 lifter when i first got them i noticed that they will push down real easy not like the old ones that came out of it it will not push down at all and the new delphi ls7 lifters i got from btr will not push down either i also took a pic of the new ls7 lifter and took a old apart
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2023, 06:41 PM   #33
bigdaddy4x4

breakdown pic
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2023, 05:31 PM   #34
AussieinNC

In the smaller inner sleeve there is a metal cap in one end that contains a small metal ball. You can pop the end of the sleeve off with a screwdriver.

I have seen them MISSING the steel balls, hence no oil pressure in the lifter body and no hydraulic lash adjustment capability.

To test new lifters, stand them up in a tray of clean oil and push down on the top cap where the pushrod sits. The lifter should fill with oil but then push back against the pushrod as it "pumps up" ....

lifter float (the lifters over pumping up) back in the day lost many races!

Back in the day I would make hydraulics into solids by machining solid body inserts for the main bodies.

2012 Chevy Equinox