The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2016, 10:57 AM   #51
Westwind

Re: My 86 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
Thanks, it was time consuming, but it was a fun challege. I researched just about every part and got samples when I could. I got something from just about every truck site out there. I would write down what I wanted and where I could get it, so I could keep track of everything. And certain parts did go thru several stages of changes because of money.

The truck is getting ready to go thru some more changes during the downtime this winter. I found a NOS Hood to replace the aftermarket cowl induction hood.

And also my seat belts will go thru a change also. I'll post pics and an explanation of the changes.
I have to agree with you on the hood. I don't get me wrong, your truck looks beautiful as is but for the classic look you are going for the hood would be the topper. Very nice truck.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:33 PM   #52
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Truck looks really clean....I don't know why but that LED under dash lighting is my fav! It gives it a new truck look IMO! I may swap to LED interior lighting myself!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:06 AM   #53
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
Truck looks really clean....I don't know why but that LED under dash lighting is my fav! It gives it a new truck look IMO! I may swap to LED interior lighting myself!
Thanks, the LED's do brighten it up, especially at night.

Finally got the Hood Ornament ordered, can't wait until I get the hood installed and painted.
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #54
NewType72

Big fan of LED swaps. I love the simplicity in old trucks but sure hate the lack of safety when being able to be seen

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #55
TKCR

Update on the Hood:

So I got the NOS Hood and Hood ornament. The Hood Ornament came from Classicparts.com. Now it's time to get her in for some paint.

Also got the seatbelt retractors sent back to get the tongues replaced, so they will work with the GM Metal buckles.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #56
TKCR

Another project I worked on, was the front grille. When I bought the truck, the PO had a Billet Grille on it. I really like the stock grille look much better. It took some time acquiring parts for the job.

Found a NOS grille for a Van on Ebay, Found out that those fit the trucks and so much more less expensive.
Then found a real nice set of chrome center moldings and bowtie in the parts section on this board. Cleaned all the old paint tape off the moldings and re-taped them with red vinyl tape to match the truck.
Was able to find NOS trim pieces, the 4 small ones that go on the side of the grille.
Got a new set of grille parking lights.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #57
TKCR

New Chrome Headlight Buckets from LMC.

Grille installed on the truck!!
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #58
TKCR

Bed Carpeting from Gaylord's.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #59
TKCR

PO had a aftermarket Temp Sensor and gauge. Don't know why, because the original worked. Put a new sensor in and hooked the wiring back up and it works fine.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #60
TKCR

Another pic, the other one had quite a glare on it.
Attached Images

Old 09-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #61
LDO

Great Job!
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #62
rip2174

Nice and clean. Looks great!
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:51 AM   #63
Jaysonb

Looks good!
Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 PM   #64
TKCR

My cab corner trim, the yellow paint was dull and needed some help. I cleaned all the old paint off the trim, but couldn't seem to find the correct yellow. I did give the Bowtie a fresh coat of black. The more I looked at it, I really liked the look of just the black Bow tie, so I decided to leave it as is.
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #65
UKNOWME

I like that as well. What did you use to remove the paint? Did you restore the rest of the cab corners or did they already like that nice?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:11 AM   #66
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
I like that as well. What did you use to remove the paint? Did you restore the rest of the cab corners or did they already like that nice?
I used lacquer thinner to get the old paint off. Then used Goof Off to clean the entire molding and corners. Used Brasso Polish ( polish with the grain) for the final step. They looked pretty nice before, but after a good cleaning and just a bit of polish, made a huge difference. I would say, a bit more than what I expected. Here's a pic of the right side corner and rear molding.

I did the same process with the tailgate trim.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #67
TKCR

Seatbelt update:

Got my seatbelts back from the seatbeltstore.com. They replaced my tongues on the retractors, this way I could get the metal GM buckles. The GM buckles look so much better than the plastic buckles that originally came with the seatbelts I purchased. And they more like the stock buckles that were original to the truck.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #68
UKNOWME

Quote:
I used lacquer thinner to get the old paint off. Then used Goof Off to clean the entire molding and corners. Used Brasso Polish ( polish with the grain) for the final step. They looked pretty nice before, but after a good cleaning and just a bit of polish, made a huge difference. I would say, a bit more than what I expected. Here's a pic of the right side corner and rear molding.

I did the same process with the tailgate trim.
Looks awesome!
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 10-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #69
UKNOWME

Quote:
Seatbelt update:

Got my seatbelts back from the seatbeltstore.com. They replaced my tongues on the retractors, this way I could get the metal GM buckles. The GM buckles look so much better than the plastic buckles that originally came with the seatbelts I purchased. And they more like the stock buckles that were original to the truck.
I've got to get me some of those. My lmc belts suck
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 10-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #70
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Found a NOS grille for a Van on Ebay, Found out that those fit the trucks and so much more less expensive.
Then found a real nice set of chrome center moldings and bowtie in the parts section on this board. Cleaned all the old paint tape off the moldings and re-taped them with red vinyl tape to match the truck.
Was able to find NOS trim pieces, the 4 small ones that go on the side of the grille.
Got a new set of grille parking lights
Good lord that front end looks nice. So the GM van grill works with no modifications?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:13 PM   #71
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
I've got to get me some of those. My lmc belts suck
LMC doesn't have the housing around the retractors, yuck. But I got my idea from wescoperformance. Their belts, you can choose the buckle you want. at the seatobeltstore, because I wanted my housing color the same as the belts, I had to settle for the plastic buckles. Only a handful of their seatbelts have the matching colored housing, most of them are a colored belt with a black housing.

So I talked to a guy from the seatbeltstore, and this is what he came up with to get me the metal buckle. So I had to get a set of lap belts with the metal buckle (same color). And then I sent my retractors back to them and they changed out the tongues for free. It was either this, or spend big bucks and get another set of belts from wescoperformance. But I really couldn't see buying another set of belts just to get the metal buckles.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #72
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post

Good lord that front end looks nice. So the GM van grill works with no modifications?
They say that 2 of the 4 mounting hole won't line up perfectly. Mine did however. It fits and looks the same as the truck grille, and way less expensive. It was a NOS part, got it on Ebay for $100. People want like $500 for a truck grille. It is virtually the same grille, it just has a different part number.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:44 PM   #73
TKCR

Quote:
They say that 2 of the 4 mounting hole won't line up perfectly. Mine did however. It fits and looks the same as the truck grille, and way less expensive. It was a NOS part, got it on Ebay for $100. People want like $500 for a truck grille. It is virtually the same grille, it just has a different part number.

Well I guess this isn't the case anymore. Just ran across an Ebay ad for a NOS grille. Turns out, in the description they are stating it is a Van grille, and they want $500.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-85-86-87-...dWMBXR&vxp=mtr

This is more like it, on the price:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Chev...ZXdS2b&vxp=mtr
Old 10-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #74
rip2174

you did a great job on the interior!!
rip2174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #75
LDO

i really like your dash bezel. The black with the chrome trim around the guage holes looks alot better than the 'flat silver' overlay... Is that an LMC piece?
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote