The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
dubstepside

My $500 running and driving 66 Chevy Stepside

Hey all, I'm a 1st time Chevy owner coming from the VW scene. I bought this truck 2 minutes away from my house, it was originally bought new by the air force as a base vehicle. Its got a 230 6 and 3 on the tree, it even came with the original factory build sheet showing all the options the military wanted/did not want.. it never came with a spare so it has no cut-outs on either fenders, factory arm rests, stainless kick plates, and a Posi rear end just to name a few.

The truck is fairly straight but has some rust.. the usual front fender stuff, one small spot in front of each of the bed fenders, rocker panel rust and some very strange roof rust but only on the pass. side. Looks as if it was maybe sitting up against a house for a while and water was being drained onto the left side of the roof? Anyways, this is my only vehicle currently (I know, I'm crazy) and plans are to get the rust taken care of, do any needed preventative maintenance and lower it and drive the hell out of it.

Last edited by dubstepside; 04-22-2011 at 09:57 PM.
dubstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
AmmoSS
IYAAYAS

Re: My $500 running and driving 66 Chevy Stepside

Sweet truck! I'm in the Air Force and have thought about doing a retro Air Force truck. Good luck!
AmmoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
geezer#99

Nice truck!!
Welcome from across the ditch!!
You forgot to mention the rare for 66 S10 hubcap option. JK LOL!!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
dubstepside

I was wondering if someone would notice the hubcaps haha..those are pictures from the day I got it. I'll get some better pictures soon. The plan is to get 3" drop spindles and cut 1 1/2 coils and some blocks and tj springs out back next month until I get bags for it. I rebuilt the stock carb today and put in new plugs, cap, and rotor. Runs smooth, though, the harmonic balancer seems to be a bit wobbly so that will have to be replaced soon.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
dubstepside

Ok, so I got the carb rebuilt and put back, turn the mixture screw in all the way then 1 1/2 turns back out. I start the truck back up seems to run fine. I take it for a short cruise and it does fine until I come close to the top of a hill by my house. The truck studders slightly, then acts as if my foot is taken off the pedal and backfires loud once and dies. I take a left and roll it into my neighborhood.. try to start after about a minute with the choke all the way in and it starts up and idles @ 2k for a little then idle will drop slowly then it dies. It will not start with the choke not on. I wait 10 more minutes and it it starts fine with the choke but to keep it running I keep the choke on so I can drive the 2 blocks home. I let the truck sit till' later that night and drive it to a friends couple miles away that is up a big hill, I make it almost there after already climbing the huge hill and it does the same thing. I wait a little over 5 minutes this time and drive it the remaining 500 yards to my friends and it dies again after putting the clutch in and rolling into his driveway. The truck sat there for about 4 1/2 hours and started up (after pouring a little gas down the carb for good measure) ran fine and drove all they way home with no problems. I babied it and it seemed to run a little better with the choke pulled while driving?? (< I might be totally off on that) It has also done this losing power/bogging/stalling thing while driving on a highway @ 55-60 for only a couple miles on 2 separate occasions. Both times I started it back up after 10 mins and drove back home through town. It definitely seems like when the truck is under a greater load (hwy/hills) it seems to promote this problem to happen more so. The more it happens it seems to happen closer together each time. I switched from the carb filter to an inline see thru filter and I don't see anything coming through from the tank. Anybody have any ideas on this? I might just start a thread for this once I investigate further.

Last edited by dubstepside; 04-28-2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Greg63
Enjoy your truck

Perhaps the screen on the inlet of the fuel line, inside the gas tank, is clogged. It happened to me once and that was the cause.
Greg.
1 Corinthians 10:13

1963 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
2010 Camaro SS/RS
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Greg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
hopped up

vapor lock?
Posted via Mobile Device