The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
Madkidd007

Exclamation Copycat to the SWB Club {72 Tahoe/Escalade Project}

First let me thank Frizzle Fry and Drewskiren for putting the thoughts in my head to start another crazy adventure, as if turning my high school truck into a Cummins powered beast wasn’t enough. If you’re familiar with the threads “69 Tahoe project and Young Frankenstein,” you already see where this is going, but with even more of a twist. Taking pieces from many and building what I’ll consider the ultimate daily driver with old school curb appeal. A heads up I can get long winded and on the flip side short with words. I’ll try to keep everyone’s eyes filled with pictures to go with the action. Starting with a burb that may should have been taken off the road forever I purchased locally from fellow board member Uncle. Hope to get cutting next weekend. Here is the start of somethin way different. And on a side note, who can tell everyone what the tow vehicle is and why it’s special?
Attached Images

Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com

Last edited by Madkidd007; 12-09-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
1968k20

Re: Copycat to the SWB Club {72 Tahoe/Escalade Project}

Tow vehicle looks like a BMW?
Yanmar Tractor 3 Cyl Diesel
1968k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #3
Madkidd007

I also tend to have so much in my head I forget and remember minutes later, case in point. Would also like to thank the people that I have already purchased items from and anyone who I may in the future. Pretty bad when I’ve owned the truck less than a week, haven’t cleaned it out good yet; and I’ve already started ordering random items. Then again I can use a lot of items as spares or even on my 70 if I ever need them. With that said if anyone notices something I say I need or you think I may, feel free to offer it up with a price, unless the moderators frown upon it. Currently looking for an upper hatch as mine is pretty rotted but complete. Also if anyone needs parts from the frame/suspension none of it will be used. First order of business should be rust repair, but knowing me I’ll jump to cutting it up to make more garage space to work on it.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Madkidd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968k20 View Post
Tow vehicle looks like a BMW?
Just as expensive when new, although I bought it with a blown motor two years ago and this project is replacing it when done. Also thank you for the body hardware, mine looks intact but you never know and figured it won’t hurt to have them. No rush on the shipping as you can tell I’m not in a need at the moment.

Last edited by Madkidd007; 12-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
Madkidd007

Ok someone tell me how to keep pictures from posting sideways. I’m doing this all from my iPhone also

Old 12-09-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Madkidd007

Just how many updates Can I do in less than an hour??? So as I wait till 7:00 to leave work I’ve been cruising the forum and go figure I come across exactly what I wanted to do with the rear if I could figure out a good game plan on how to make it look correct. Well thank you Hart_rod for making me have to do even more metal work. This is going to fit well for the copycat build
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkidd007 View Post
I also tend to have so much in my head I forget and remember minutes later, case in point. Would also like to thank the people that I have already purchased items from and anyone who I may in the future. Pretty bad when I’ve owned the truck less than a week, haven’t cleaned it out good yet; and I’ve already started ordering random items. Then again I can use a lot of items as spares or even on my 70 if I ever need them. With that said if anyone notices something I say I need or you think I may, feel free to offer it up with a price, unless the moderators frown upon it. Currently looking for an upper hatch as mine is pretty rotted but complete. Also if anyone needs parts from the frame/suspension none of it will be used. First order of business should be rust repair, but knowing me I’ll jump to cutting it up to make more garage space to work on it.

Yes, moderators frown on turning threads in the regular forums into WTB and FS threads. Parts for sale need to be posted in the proper classified sections. Members also need to be "Premium" members to solicit parts for sale or wanted. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it lists the different subscription options.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #8
CG
BlahBlahBlah

How bout a synopsis of what you plan to accomplish. Would be nice to know the thought process of where you are going with this.

Take the pictures from your IPhone landscape style. Top of the phone in your left hand, bottom of the phone in your right. Should make the picture posting come out correctly.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #9
Madkidd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Yes, moderators frown on turning threads in the regular forums into WTB and FS threads. Parts for sale need to be posted in the proper classified sections. Members also need to be "Premium" members to solicit parts for sale or wanted. If you click on the word "Subscribe" in the menu bar above it lists the different subscription options.....

LockDoc
Preciate it, I actually seen a post you said something similar in later last night. Definitely will become a subscribing member and so far the fir sale threads I’ve been all over buying stuff so when it comes time to sell, I’ll have to go premium.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
Madkidd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
How bout a synopsis of what you plan to accomplish. Would be nice to know the thought process of where you are going with this.

Take the pictures from your IPhone landscape style. Top of the phone in your left hand, bottom of the phone in your right. Should make the picture posting come out correctly.
Thank you, I always forget about landscape mode being the default.
So the game plan: goal is as follows:

Shorten the body 10” between the wheel wells to keep the rear door stock, also collecting parts in anticipation to build a fourth door after all the other body mods are done so I don’t get overwhelmed or burnt out.
Remove 8-10” from the rear depending on how it looks proportionately after I pull 8” as I don’t want the rear side glass to look too short.

Going with a 1999-2006 GMT800 SUV chassis, either a Yukon Denali SWB, Escalade SWB, or worst case a loaded Tahoe. Around this part of the county you can get beat down body vehicles for between $1200-$2600 still driving. The wheelbase of the chassis is 116” as I don’t want to modify a frame in the least bit except body mount. Now that leaves a 116” wheelbase with a 117” wheel opening, as the suv uses a factory 4 link when you lower it the suspension levels out and slightly lengths the wheelsbase. At less than an inch I will split the difference between front and rear which should be 1/4”-3/8” at most.

By using the modern chassis I will have 4wd/awd suspension and have the awd parts from a previously ownded Escalade just laying around. Also no special LS swap parts, fuel tank mounting is done as well as all suspension and brakes.

Now as far as body mounting, still undecided if I’ll use custom mounts or if the plan is to use the modern floor, seats, consoles, firewall, A/C, I mean everything! GM spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on engineering so why should I pass up the chance to use it all.

And lastly if I end up 6.0 it will most likely just be cammed and tuned. If a 5.3 then with all the extra room under the hood vs the new models, I’m thinking a single turbo.

If you can imagine driving a 2004 Escalade with the body of a 72 Chevy, that pretty much sums it up.

Last edited by Madkidd007; 12-17-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Sounds like a good plan. Ive seen a lot of shortened burbs on the web. I have to say the proportions on frizzles are by far the best. Nothing looks stubby, it all looks right on.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:18 PM   #12
Madkidd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Sounds like a good plan. Ive seen a lot of shortened burbs on the web. I have to say the proportions on frizzles are by far the best. Nothing looks stubby, it all looks right on.
well in my head it’s a split the difference kinda thing, love his body proportions, but the glass looks a little short. Unless you want to completely redesign the D-pillar the only way for a longer glass is a longer body. If anyone enjoys playing with photoshops feel free to throw your ideas at me. Knowing me though if I don’t like it I’ll cut it again. As soon as I get this back together the burb is coming in the garage.
Attached Images

Last edited by Madkidd007; 12-10-2018 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Pictures keep rotating
Old 12-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #13
Madkidd007

Got curious and did some research tonight, it seems I’m gonna be run up a numbers matching truck with correct accessory brackets. Engine built December 10 of 1971, trucks assembled January of 72. Kinda happy it’s as rusted as it is now so I don’t feel too bad.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
Madkidd007

Well thanks to the weather this week very little as progress goes. I did get the 70 wrapped up and back on the road. The burb got a little cleaning and then made a dump run. If the rain lets up hopefully I can drop the HEI in and drive it into the garage and get to cuttin
Attached Images

Last edited by Madkidd007; 12-21-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
Madkidd007

Well some progress has been made, it runs and quite smooth actually, transmission with 3 quarts of fluid moves under its own power. Now then it looks like the path has changed, just seems more practical for how my life is. Perhaps it’s time for a new thread
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2019, 11:16 PM   #16
CJM72

Saab 9-7x Aero. Basically the Saab version of the Trailblazer SS with LS2. Still haven't seen one in real life!

What's the new plan? Suburbalanche?
CJM72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #17
Madkidd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJM72 View Post
Saab 9-7x Aero. Basically the Saab version of the Trailblazer SS with LS2. Still haven't seen one in real life!

What's the new plan? Suburbalanche?
Winner winner, although mine was a 5.3 being an 06, it now sports an iron block 6.0 and rwd conversion with a batwing oil pan, also the correct 4l70e. I kept my 3.73 gears and prefer it over my brothers old SS with the 4.10s.
The burb is going truck, need to start a new thread. When I bought it I knew I may run into bigger rust issues. Well one way to fix that is to cut it out.
Attached Images