The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2015, 03:30 AM   #1
1972GMCsierra4x4

Aluminum running boards

Does anyone know where I could find a set of the old school aluminum tread plate running boards from the 70s and 80s that would fit a 67-72? I've been searching all over and can't find squat!
1972GMCsierra4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Aluminum running boards

They were never made specifically for 67-72s. Those things came about later in the '70s when trucks hit a big surge in popularity. Many new accessories popped up for the current trucks with the 67-72s being over looked on most things. Bushwacker started making fender flares back then, yet they never made a flare for 67-72 till recent years and only in the huge pocket style (when most want to leave the bodies on their classics unmolested).

I adapted a pair of 73-80 running boards for a K/20 I had with big tires that I cut out the front fenders and inners on to help keep debris out of my rockers and lower front cab area. They are not a good idea if you are looking for body protection. All they do is encourage rust where they fasten to the body will hold salty road grit and they only protect the outer part of the body where salt runs off and is easily washed off. They prevent you from giving a good wash-out up under the body that is the concern during winter months (inner rockers/cab corners/supports). They serve more to hold the stuff than keep it off.

I had to cut the fronts and re-weld a piece in, but my wheel openings were cut back. But, I believe, IIRC, the ones listed for '73-87 still are a bit long and will require same mod.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-22-2015 at 07:02 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #3
greedy geezer

Location: Stoughton MA where everyhing on the road gets rusted out from winter and rock salt

Her's the ones the Original owner put on my truck had them off for awhile but the Mrs really liked them , I do to I must say you can see the Name Competitor company J. Mark and Pat #4203611 if that's what your looking for maybe you can find some
gg
Attached Images

greedy geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #4
flashed

I have a set off of a long van ,2 sets actually ,going to use 1 set on my 72 one ton. Found mine at a garage/yard sale .Guy was going to scrap them so I nabbed them.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
1972GMCsierra4x4

Greedy geezer, that is a nice C20 you have
Old 12-20-2015, 11:28 PM   #6
swamp rat

I got a set i'm gonna remove, the passanger side is kinda mashed a little, driver side is good. figured they are going in the trash..

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #7
1972GMCsierra4x4

PM sent, swamp rat
Old 12-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Ugly 61

I got mine from JC Whitney a few years ago they were the proper length. You might see if they still carry them
Ugly 61
Ugly 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
Harley03joe

I'm Looking For The instructions & A Install Kit For The Running Boards I Just Got Off E bay aluminum diamond Plate .
The instructions I Got I Cant Read Them All Parts Are Missing On The instructions.

And Help Would Be Great, Just Put Me On The Right Street
Thank You For Any Help
Harley03joe

I Need The Install Kit Like This Truck Picture & Instruction

Last edited by Harley03joe; 11-10-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Harley03joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
I got a set i'm gonna remove, the passanger side is kinda mashed a little, driver side is good. figured they are going in the trash..
Do You Have All The Brackets And Bolts ?
If So I Need Them
Thanks
Harley03joe

To Fit Like This Truck
Old 11-11-2016, 09:01 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

The brackets that brace the step to the floor would be simple to make out of strap steel or rod stock. I wish I knew how to draw on the computer, I'd show you. They'd bolt to the back of the running board as low as possible or to the bottom, bent to angle up to floor, bent where floor is met, and leave a length to bolt though

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #12
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley03joe View Post
Do You Have All The Brackets And Bolts ?
If So I Need Them
Thanks
Harley03joe

To Fit Like This Truck
Mine were pretty much home made, ether way my boards made it to the scrap bin.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #13
BILT4ME

The original boards (for the 73-87) were designed to be screwed (bolted) to the rocker panels weld seam at the bottom and a couple pieces that went up behind the cab corners and bolted through the cab corner. You had to drill holes in the pinch welded part of the rocker and also a hole in the cab corner as well as under the fender well for sheet metal screws.

I picked up a set of polished aluminum diamond tread boards made for something (I think even a Ford) and made my own support brackets from 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4" angle iron welded in a offset S (or Z) shape that bolted to the seat brackets under the cab floor, then horizontal under the steps. This was enough support with two of those, and screwed to the inner fenderwells that my fat azz could step on them and they wouldn't sag or tear up the rockers. I could have added a third support if needed. Most of the support was in the area where the stepping occurs.

If I were to do this today, I would build a set of "sliders" from 1-1/2" OD tube and make brackets to take them back to the frame. You may need to make the set split between the cab and bed to allow for the flex between the two halves.

If you have looked for these, you have not looked hard. However, you won't find them specifically for 67-72 because they didn't start until 73+

http://www.jcwhitney.com/running-boards/c1908j1s17.jcwx

http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/Dee...Sl8aAnL28P8HAQ
Old 11-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #14
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
The brackets that brace the step to the floor would be simple to make out of strap steel or rod stock. I wish I knew how to draw on the computer, I'd show you. They'd bolt to the back of the running board as low as possible or to the bottom, bent to angle up to floor, bent where floor is met, and leave a length to bolt though
I Found The Instructions

Old 11-12-2016, 03:29 AM   #15
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post
The original boards (for the 73-87) were designed to be screwed (bolted) to the rocker panels weld seam at the bottom and a couple pieces that went up behind the cab corners and bolted through the cab corner. You had to drill holes in the pinch welded part of the rocker and also a hole in the cab corner as well as under the fender well for sheet metal screws.

I picked up a set of polished aluminum diamond tread boards made for something (I think even a Ford) and made my own support brackets from 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4" angle iron welded in a offset S (or Z) shape that bolted to the seat brackets under the cab floor, then horizontal under the steps. This was enough support with two of those, and screwed to the inner fenderwells that my fat azz could step on them and they wouldn't sag or tear up the rockers. I could have added a third support if needed. Most of the support was in the area where the stepping occurs.

If I were to do this today, I would build a set of "sliders" from 1-1/2" OD tube and make brackets to take them back to the frame. You may need to make the set split between the cab and bed to allow for the flex between the two halves.

If you have looked for these, you have not looked hard. However, you won't find them specifically for 67-72 because they didn't start until 73+

Thank You BILT4ME
Harley03joe
I'LL Put Pictures On The Sight When I'm Done
Thanks Again

Last edited by Harley03joe; 11-12-2016 at 03:31 AM. Reason: pictures
Old 11-12-2016, 03:35 AM   #16
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILT4ME View Post

Built4me
This Is What I Got For $40.00 On E-bay

HAPPY HAPPY
Old 11-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #17
swamp rat

Here's a pic of the mounting brackets i had, if you can zoom in on them you would see it's basically a U shaped channel with 2 holes drilled for the bolts that attach to the boards, then a series of holes on the backbone of the U channel to attach one support bracket to the frame, and a strap that was screwed into the cab. The bolts that slide into the boards can be made from regular bolts or carriage bolts by grinding the heads down so they will slide into the channel. You could build the brackets out of squair stock.
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 11-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
Harley03joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Here's a pic of the mounting brackets i had, if you can zoom in on them you would see it's basically a U shaped channel with 2 holes drilled for the bolts that attach to the boards, then a series of holes on the backbone of the U channel to attach one support bracket to the frame, and a strap that was screwed into the cab. The bolts that slide into the boards can be made from regular bolts or carriage bolts by grinding the heads down so they will slide into the channel. You could build the brackets out of squair stock.
Thank You Mike I Got It All Figured Out Now
I Got The ORG Instructions. But That Yu For Your Time
Here Are The Instructions
Harley03joe