The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2008, 10:21 PM   #126
edflores

Re: $999 for a Dropmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I haven't responded to this particular question yet, because I don't have all the details worked out. I will be offering a little break to supporting members, and will also be offering a discount for "Group Purchases". The details on this will be coming soon...
group buy? :}
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #127
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edflores View Post
group buy? :}
Group buy would consist of 5 or more, and there would be a 10% discount.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #128
PBFAB.COM

Well, I think there has been enough information released by Thorbeck Bros., on their version of the Dropmember, to where I feel like I can start making comparisons and pointing out what makes the Porterbuilt Dropmember a better choice.

Let's first discuss the differences in the two kits stated by Thorbeck Bros.:

Thorbeck Bros. has stated in his thread that his version maintains factory C-10 geometry. Thorbeck Bros. wrote, "basically the kit keeps the factory geometry but everything is raised and brought in so you can lay frame on a 29.3." (http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...91#post2910991)

The Porterbuilt Dropmember DOES NOT maintain factory suspension/steering geometry, due to the fact that the factory C-10 geometry is UNDESIREABLE. The arcs and lengths of the control arms in their factory geometric settings cause the camber to go positive under compression first, and then as the suspension compresses more, the camber turns negative. Positive camber is not a desireable characteristic. The Dropmember puts this undesireable result in check, and also changes the camber curve, eliminating the excessive negative camber gain under extreme compression inherent in the FACTORY C-10 geometry.

The second main difference stated by Thorbeck Bros. is in the manufacturing techniques:

Thorbeck Bros. stated, "our crossmember kit is built alot different than porters. although seeing his inspired us to manufacture one of our own. we build ours out 1/4" thick laser cut sheet vs his 3/16" material. we also use far less pieces to assemble the unit. just for example, if you look at the top plate on both units, you will see that ours is one piece that was press brake formed, and his is welded out of several pieces like a puzzle." (http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...91#post2910991)

It is very true that the Dropmember is put together differently than the SD unit. The reason that the Dropmember's top section is put together "like a puzzle" is that it in order to give it the optimim structural integrity and strength it needs to have some bracing or trussing inside the unit. If I were to design and build the Dropmember to have a one-piece top section, it would then be hollow and not be able to reach its optimum potential for strength and rigidity. In order to add this trussing, and have it welded to all sides of the interior, it cannot be one piece. I agree that a one piece top would look a bit sleeker, but I design/build my parts with function as the dominating factor.
In reference to the thickness of steel used (1/4 vs. 3/16), it plays no role in this comaprison. I could build this unit out of 10ga. steel and have it be plenty strong enough to handle the abuse any C10 owner could throw at it. One might ask "then why don't you". It's an easy question to answer, the general public has a lesser understaning of engineering and design, and would automatically assume that thicker is stronger. I decided to blend the two and go with a 3/16 pickeled plate.

The last main difference bewteen the two is the amount of time, and miles invested. The Dropmember has been making waves in the industry for two years and has had hundreds of units sold, and thousands of miles logged. Before it became public, it was designed and developed for over a year. It was road tested before it was made public or released to be sold. Proven by hundreds of satisfied customer, and thousands of miles on the road!

One more thing, the Dropmember comes with shock mounts at no extra charge!

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #129
68 short step

Quote:

also since you are the king of welding and every weld looks perfect, id take a "puzzle peice" top anyday, just so i can look at the welds......you do an outstanding job on what you do......
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #130
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

If I missed this question I apologize.

Ok, imgine if you will if somebody used factory coils and arms. What kind of drop would sombody get just bolting on the new drop member? I know its designed to work with bags, but for planning purposes what would the amount of drop be?

I know it was said that if somebody had 29-inch tires it would stand 6-inches above laying frame. Well I have some tiny wheels that came with the truck and I'm sure they are not 29-inches. I'm sure I could do some math and try and figure it out, but I figured somebody must have already done it.

I'm at the stages where my truck can go anywhere since I just started it and figured why not start laying out the path now and if I can get something completely streetable and update my 65 suspension why not.

Last edited by kizer; 10-01-2008 at 02:34 PM.
kizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #131
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizer View Post
If I missed this question I apologize.

Ok, imgine if you will if somebody used factory coils and arms. What kind of drop would sombody get just bolting on the new drop member? I know its designed to work with bags, but for planning purposes what would the amount of drop be?

I know it was said that if somebody had 29-inch tires it would stand 6-inches above laying frame. Well I have some tiny wheels that came with the truck and I'm sure they are not 29-inches. I'm sure I could do some math and try and figure it out, but I figured somebody must have already done it.

I'm at the stages where my truck can go anywhere since I just started it and figured why not start laying out the path now and if I can get something completely streetable and update my 65 suspension why not.
Like you stated, the DM is designed for bags so I don't think you'll get any certain answers regarding possible heights w/coil springs.

If you could fabricate the coil specific mounts & get it to work, I would add the amount of spindle drop plus 3" (the amount the pivot points of the a-arms are raised) to get an estimate. The amount of total drop (or ride height)will be directly linked to the height of the upper mount in relation to the frame rails plus the overall height of the coils.

It would seem if a guy is intent on running coils, he would gravitate toward a 'Z' vs. an aftermarket crossmember regardless if it's Porters or SD's.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 10-01-2008 at 03:40 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #132
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

No I wasn't truely implying that I wanted to run coils I was just trying to get a base for how much drop would be gained by just bolting on the new cross member.

So just from your reply it would stand to say that by adding the new drop spindles if they are 2-inch drop and moving the pivot points up 3 inches you could be looking at roughly 5 inches of drop.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #133
SCOTI

Quote:
So just from your reply it would stand to say that by adding the new drop spindles if they are 2-inch drop and moving the pivot points up 3 inches you could be looking at roughly 5 inches of drop.
Yes.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #134
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Thanks thats what I was sorta trying to ask.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #135
Mello Mel
African-American Shaolin Monk

Quote:
Well, I think there has been enough information released by Thorbeck Bros., on their version of the Dropmember, to where I feel like I can start making comparisons and pointing out what makes the Porterbuilt Dropmember a better choice.

Let's first discuss the differences in the two kits stated by Thorbeck Bros.:

Thorbeck Bros. has stated in his thread that his version maintains factory C-10 geometry. Thorbeck Bros. wrote, "basically the kit keeps the factory geometry but everything is raised and brought in so you can lay frame on a 29.3." (http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...91#post2910991)

The Porterbuilt Dropmember DOES NOT maintain factory suspension/steering geometry, due to the fact that the factory C-10 geometry is UNDESIREABLE. The arcs and lengths of the control arms in their factory geometric settings cause the camber to go positive under compression first, and then as the suspension compresses more, the camber turns negative. Positive camber is not a desireable characteristic. The Dropmember puts this undesireable result in check, and also changes the camber curve, eliminating the excessive negative camber gain under extreme compression inherent in the FACTORY C-10 geometry.

The second main difference stated by Thorbeck Bros. is in the manufacturing techniques:

Thorbeck Bros. stated, "our crossmember kit is built alot different than porters. although seeing his inspired us to manufacture one of our own. we build ours out 1/4" thick laser cut sheet vs his 3/16" material. we also use far less pieces to assemble the unit. just for example, if you look at the top plate on both units, you will see that ours is one piece that was press brake formed, and his is welded out of several pieces like a puzzle." (http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...91#post2910991)

It is very true that the Dropmember is put together differently than the SD unit. The reason that the Dropmember's top section is put together "like a puzzle" is that it in order to give it the optimim structural integrity and strength it needs to have some bracing or trussing inside the unit. If I were to design and build the Dropmember to have a one-piece top section, it would then be hollow and not be able to reach its optimum potential for strength and rigidity. In order to add this trussing, and have it welded to all sides of the interior, it cannot be one piece. I agree that a one piece top would look a bit sleeker, but I design/build my parts with function as the dominating factor.
In reference to the thickness of steel used (1/4 vs. 3/16), it plays no role in this comaprison. I could build this unit out of 10ga. steel and have it be plenty strong enough to handle the abuse any C10 owner could throw at it. One might ask "then why don't you". It's an easy question to answer, the general public has a lesser understaning of engineering and design, and would automatically assume that thicker is stronger. I decided to blend the two and go with a 3/16 pickeled plate.

The last main difference bewteen the two is the amount of time, and miles invested. The Dropmember has been making waves in the industry for two years and has had hundreds of units sold, and thousands of miles logged. Before it became public, it was designed and developed for over a year. It was road tested before it was made public or released to be sold. Proven by hundreds of satisfied customer, and thousands of miles on the road!

THIS IS THE REASON PORTERBUILT RULES THERE IS NO FURTHER REASON TO DISCUSS THIS TOPIC. BECAUSE YOU HAVE JUST BEEN
Mello Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #136
abadsvt

Quote:
Just so you know here is an EXCELLENT tire size calculator. I have used it tons of times and thought i would pass it on.

http://www.wickedbodies.net/Tire-Size-Calculator.htm

Josh

ps. Nate that was a very well explained differences between yours and SD's IFS kits. It made me want to buy another dropmember but my wife has my wallet so maybe later.
Other project: C5 corvette swap into 70 c10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2413517 On Hold
abadsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #137
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
No I wasn't truely implying that I wanted to run coils I was just trying to get a base for how much drop would be gained by just bolting on the new cross member.

Kizer-

As SCOTI mentioned it's gonna drop you right between the 2-3 inch mark by doing a direct bolt-in. There's a few factors that make it difficult to get an exact measurement on this, but that should be close enough.

I can get you measurements of where it will sit at ride height and dump height once installed... just let me know the tire size, and I can tell you where the bottom edge of the frame (under the cab) will sit in reference to the ground. If it's a short tire, you might not need to purchase drop-spindles.

Nate

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 10-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #138
texastrendz

porter,
which three inch drop spindle do you recommend, i was going to buy an ece, but it is only a 2.5 inch drop. i want something that is dot approved and has been tested. really i just want to know who use. if you want to know the truth. thanks man.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #139
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrendz View Post
porter,
which three inch drop spindle do you recommend, i was going to buy an ece, but it is only a 2.5 inch drop. i want something that is dot approved and has been tested. really i just want to know who use. if you want to know the truth. thanks man.
Belltech makes a quality spindle, and has been around since the beginning. I would recommend them, even though they are a bit higher priced. Remember, the 3" spindle is only available for the 73-87, so if you are running earlier year arms you will need to swap the ball joints and rotors/calipers. The nice thing about the 73-87 replacements parts (i.e. ball joints/rotors/bearings etc.) is that it is a little less expensive than the 63-72 parts.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 10-01-2008, 08:43 PM   #140
kizer
Its Deja Vu time again

Thanks guys. I'm so far off from doing the front, but was just entertaining ideas and this looks like a great idea in the long run. More than likely porterbuilt I would call you direct with all the what ifs and how comes.

As far as current tire size goes I'm not even remotely happy with it or sure of the exact size, but in the future after I tackle all of the rust and do some body tweaking I'll be addressing suspension. Just have to start saving my pennys now.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #141
leftcoast66

Just wanted to say Nate, very well worded. Thanks for mentioning some of the theory behind it, answers a lot as well as shows the time and thought that went into the dropmember. Once this college stuff is over with, I'll for sure be getting one of yours. Excellent product...
leftcoast66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #142
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Group buy would consist of 5 or more, and there would be a 10% discount.
Could we get a heads up before you get ready to pull the trigger on the group buy? That 10% discount combined with the new lower price is going to bump my new project along nicely I think.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #143
71blaze

Quote:
Remember, the 3" spindle is only available for the 73-87
here is a link to a Belltech 71 3" drop spindle.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...700+4294925080
71blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #144
grnddwn
belly dragger

subscribing
Old 10-01-2008, 10:05 PM   #145
Shane
Account Suspended

Thorbeck Bros.

I had to edit your post because it was prompted anyone that viewed this thread for usernames and passwords on the SD website.

You will need to post the pics where they aren't password protected in order for them to be viewed here.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:39 PM   #146
Sweet 85 C10
OG

DAM I dont know what to say! Seems like two great companys have two great products, good comparisons so lets just get along. I personally would like to say Porterbuilt has very nice welds and yes he was the first innovator to make it happen, without him I dont know what us C-10 guys would have done. But SSD has been around just as long, yes maybe in just the mini-truck S-10 scene but at least they too are interested in contributing a new product for us to choose from. So I have been doing my homework and for $700.00 man thats not a bad price for the SSD kit at all. Really wish Porterbuilt can match but hey to each his own, will support SSD and yes I do agree Porter has done his thing but lets give SSD a chance to do there thing to.
Sweet 85 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #147
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet 85 C10 View Post
So I have been doing my homework and for $700.00 man thats not a bad price for the SSD kit at all. Really wish Porterbuilt can match but hey to each his own, will support SSD and yes I do agree Porter has done his thing but lets give SSD a chance to do there thing to.
Introductory pricing. After the first 30-days, they're the same price.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-01-2008, 11:28 PM   #148
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Thorbecke Bros.-

Where is your product manufactured?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 PM   #149
71blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Thorbecke Bros.-

Where is your product manufactured?
SD manufactures everything in house
71blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:40 PM   #150
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blaze View Post
SD manufactures everything in house
That's great. Is the house in <insert foreign country here> or in the U.s.? Thorbecke Bros.?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote