The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2023, 12:56 PM   #1
willyp

Tailgate help

Opened up my 77 tailgate and found the latch control spring not attached to anything. Found a you tube video, and it seems I'm missing this bar. Everything seems to operate normally.

What does this bar do and does anyone have an extra they would like to part with?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2023, 04:53 PM   #2
Buckwilde77

Re: Tailgate help

Hey there Willy, that bar is actually a safety feature which (when it's working properly) won't let you open the tailgate unless the window is rolled all the way down. When the window is up, the bar is pulled up by the spring into that "V" shaped notch in the picture and it locks the handle into place so you can't open the tailgate. (Carseats weren't really a thing when these things were new and you didn't want your kid dropping the tailgate by accident while you're driving down the road.) When the window is rolled all the way down, the bottom of the window pushes the bottom of that bar down and unlocks the handle.

I thought I had an extra one in the garage I could send you but just checked and I don't. Your best bet is to find a junk tailgate and get what you need off it because I don't think anyone is making these or the plastic carriers they come with anymore. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Buckwilde77 is offline   Reply With Quote