The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
59 Turbine

Bagged, turbo LS, 59 Apache build

Hello - I am new to the board but have been a long-time lurker. Figured I would post some pictures of my 59 which has been going through a transformation for the last 10 months.

The project started off with what I thought was a good, driver quality truck that had been "updated" in the late 80s and again in 2003. It had a mild SBC, 700r4 and some nice accessories like a March serpentine system, Vintage Air, BeCool radiator, etc. Unfortunately, it also had the most poorly fab'd rack/steering box/column config you have ever seen and as a result, it handled like a shopping cart. It was scary.

So, since it had already been cut on we decided it was a good starting point for a bagged, LS sleeper. In January of this year, I dropped it off at Hale's Speed Shop in Lewisville, TX and things got moving pretty quickly.

Name:  starting point.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  46.4 KB

I missed a few pictures at the start of the tear down but it was stripped to the frame in 1 day.

Name:  IMG_4105.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  45.8 KB

We were able to sell the entire drive train to another gear head

Name:  IMG_4107.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  49.4 KB

Chassis fab under way with 4 link, bag mounts and temporary rear end.

Name:  rear chassis 1.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  46.4 KB

Front end was setup and LS motor mounts were fab'd using a plastic LS block. Around this time, Nathan Hale convinced me to go with a turbo and you can see the turbo manifold in this pic.

Name:  front chassis and motor mount fab.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  64.0 KB
59 Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote