The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Door pins.

Hey, has anyone changed out their door pins? I need to change the upper driverside door. The centering bushing is almost gone. Lube only stops the squeeking for a while. I could easily get it done if it were not for the spring. How do you compress or remove the spring for removal? I prefer not to take the door or hindge off.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Zane M

Re: Door pins.

There is a tool for compressing the spring for removal/install.
You can get them online, or at Harbor Freight. They are around ten bucks.

You will have to remove the door to replace the brass bushings in the hinges. There is no way around that. But, if you have a floor jack and a friend, it is a quick 20 minute(or less) job. You just have to get the door off/back far enough to install the new bushings.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

I found the tool online at Harbor Freight for $8. I plan to buy it Wed afternoon. The pins should be available at in the help section of a parts store. I plan to use a towel and 2X6along the bottom of the door. With a help of a friend, it shouldn't take us long. I only need to do the driver side. I'll inspect the passenger side, but I think it's okay.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
95 S_Trucker

You can leave the door on if you buy a special punch. It has a slight s bend in it to clear some obstacles. If you don't have the punch, you have to remove the door.

Look at the hinges really good and make sure the holes are round and not ovaled.
Posted via Mobile Device
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
grumpyolddog

Remove the door and replace both upper and lower pins and bushings, mite need a little adjustment after that. 1994 and up have a tapered pins and two different sized bushings, remove wiring first so the weight of the door is not on the wiring.
grumpyolddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #6
midniteblues

i have a 2000 zr2 an just today i put in my 3rd set of ds door bushings in 10 yrs. of owning this truck.

i keep the oe pins an use the "help" bushings. they seem a lil' brittle though.

i couldnt help but too say this. i've had a ton of stone in the back of this lil' truck wit no problem .
but the other day l bought a pallet full of 7x 12 pavers for $4 when that fork lift let go i could hear my lil' truck screaming.

that was a very slow 4 mi.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.

Last edited by midniteblues; 09-02-2013 at 09:48 PM.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
hugger6933

I own a body shop and rebuilt wreck and the s-10 was my thing along with Silverados since the late 1980's. I have owned close to a 1000 s-10's that is a ton. I junked a lot wholesaled a bunch sold a bunch more. I have had hundreds of doors off of these trucks and they do make a lots of noises, but look into the roller on the door that holds the spring. That is where a majority of the noise will come from and yes the door has to come off and if you don't have the tool to compress the spring it will make your life full of woe. Also put the spring in the tool and then put the tool and the spring in the vise and close up the spring in the vise then tighten the tools bolt that will make compressing the spring so much easier. You will need help installing the door just to have an extra pair of hands to help hold the door while you try to line up the pins to reinstall the door. great little trucks just don't let this problem go too long it will finally get the latch, stricker pin,and other stuff as well as beating out the hinges and cracking the door shells themselves. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote