The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #1
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Disc Brake swap for a 3/4 and 1 ton

I started posting this in another thread and realized I was hijacking the thread so I'm starting this one. The intent is to add disc brakes with off the shelf parts and stock spindles 47-52 or 53-59.

The hope here is that we can do a swap with either spindle , early or late and just add a spacer to the early inner bearing and use an off the shelf outer and inner bearing.

47-52 spindles are 1.406 +/- on the inner journal and 0.84 on the outer
53-59 spindles are 1.496 inner and 0.87 outer
You will need to take into consideration the wear from the bearing spin.

We are using the 47-52 spindle and making a bearing spacer for a 3387 bearing cone. This is a normal taper bearing with no seal land like the stock roller ball bearing so the spacer needs to have this machine into it. Some have used the stock ball bearing on there disc swap so keep that in mind.

Below is the test spacer without the seal land.
The length of the spacer will be 1.45 from the spindle face to the edge of the cone. ID is 1.404, OD is 1.495. It makes for a slight press fit

I'll rough machine a seal land and weld it to the spacer then re machine to true it all up.
Attached Images

dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote