The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2019, 12:26 AM   #1
randy500
Account Suspended

Alcan Spring...

I ordered some today for my crew cab, I hope I get a good spring form them. They seem so unorganized. Yesterday I called after sending them an online inquiry a couple weeks ago with no reply. When I called he asked me to submit another online form and he would call me back, we’ll no call back so I called today. Of course he didn’t have my online inquiry form....
He reluctantly took my order and my money, no description of what I will receive other than 4” lift and extra capacity for the Cummins weight.

Has anybody bought from alcan lately that had a good or bad experience with them?
Now I wish I would have called ORD. I just figured it would be better to go to the spring manufacturer....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
sweetk30

Re: Alcan Spring...

people just dont get it . . ..

off road design = ord has the springs made to there specs for them by the spring company . ord has been doing square body stuff for years and tons and tons of r&d in shop on there builds and test rigs and employee rides as well as feedback from customers . this to me is like getting 2x the custom spring setup in 1 order with the level of info from both sides combined .

just call ord the next time.
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post

off road design = ord has the springs made to there specs for them by the spring company . ord has been doing square body stuff for years and tons and tons of r&d in shop on there builds and test rigs and employee rides as well as feedback from customers . this to me is like getting 2x the custom spring setup in 1 order with the level of info from both sides combined .

Thanks I wasn’t thinking of it that way...my thought process was...go to the manufacturer and get the same thing but possibly quicker....
I should have been thinking ORD = great customer service
Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
1972 Jimmy

I hope that alcan gives you a better delivery time than deaver gave me. I ordered a full set of 4" lift spring on March 1st and as of June 12th they finally got them built and put them on a truck to ship.... three + months later they better be worth it!!!
I first called ord but I did like that the only way to get a 4" lift with their springs is that you had to use a shackle flip kit. I would then have to reroute my tail pipes and I didn't want to get that deep.
I then called alcan and they were not very specific on there product... so I went the deaver route...
1972 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy View Post
I hope that alcan gives you a better delivery time than deaver gave me. I ordered a full set of 4" lift spring on March 1st and as of June 12th they finally got them built and put them on a truck to ship.... three + months later they better be worth it!!!
I first called ord but I did like that the only way to get a 4" lift with their springs is that you had to use a shackle flip kit. I would then have to reroute my tail pipes and I didn't want to get that deep.
I then called alcan and they were not very specific on there product... so I went the deaver route...
Alright you got the same feeling from alcan as I did....I almost called Denver, glad I didn’t.
Please post up how you like the springs when you get them in.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
sweetk30

the reason for a flip kit after a specific height is the ride and flex of the spring . if its to tall / arched it will be a p.i.t.a to hook up to the shackles and also ride to stiff . at this point whats the point in buying a custom spring to have a steep arch and stiff ride and limited flex .

the flip kit helps with 2.5" or 4" lift amounts and keeps the spring more flat for more flex / smother ride / all around better package .

Old 06-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post

I am +1 to this. I just order the full kit from ORD for my ‘88 Chevrolet V30 CC DRW. I went from a 8” lift to a 4” lift and they took care of me. They were phenomenal to deal with.
focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
randy500
Account Suspended

Update time
I called Alcan on Monday, he said my springs were being made this week and should ship by Friday which seemed unusual since I don’t have an order number or anything, he put me on hold to check on my order.
Anyway got a call today that my credit card was declined and they need a new one for the shipping charges. I lost the card I used for the order. My springs are shipping today, almost 4 weeks to the day I ordered them. Can’t wait to get them installed.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:39 AM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I have ordered twice from Alcan - my K20 springs were just installed a month ago. I had no issues with a lengthy wait. Both stock height zero lift for my 72s so didn’t feel need to use ORD as an intermediary. Alcan is a bit disorganized but I’d say fine to deal with if going with nothing special on lift.
Attached Images

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
1972K20

I ordered custom springs from Deaver, and so far I am please. They took a while, but they were up-front about the wait.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Stormin08

in many cases, going to the manufacturer WILL NOT get you what a specialty company can...they restrict their specific rates to their purchases...

i have dealt with Thuren and Carli for Dodge rams for years...one uses atlas the other deaver...YES i can order form both manufactures,,,,but i cannot get the exact spring with out ordering from carli or thuren.
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
randy500
Account Suspended

I have the springs and they look great, they are marked left snd right and the invoice shows the differences in the spring packs so it appears they were built for my corner weights. I hope to get them installed next week.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:31 AM   #13
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I replaced the OEM plastic spring liners with my recent spring swap - nice quiet, tight ride.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #14
1972 Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972K20 View Post
I ordered custom springs from Deaver, and so far I am please. They took a while, but they were up-front about the wait.
Deaver was upfront with me as well. Upon ordering they said it would take five to six weeks. I ended up getting the springs after 4 months of waiting.... so just prepare yourself :-) don't get me wrong they're worth the wait they ride excellent. just a little frustrating having to wait for them.
1972 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #15
randy500
Account Suspended

WOW...is all i can say, well worth the money and the wait.
Truck rides much smoother now, no jarring when hitting regular bumps nor potholes, even ran over some curbs on purpose, great ride compared to what i had. Speed bumps are pretty smooth too, im so happy i cant explain it, i was really hating the old stiff ride.

I will post the spring specs, my lift calculations and final lift numbers because im wondering how close i got to my 4” spec.
This is what i know now, its almost exactly the same ride height.
They moved the center pin back about 3/8” which centers the wheels in the wheelwell better, maybe perfect. Because the pin was moved back i wasnt able to hook up my sway bar, its a pretty easy fix but probably a half day of work by the time i remove the upper plates, weld and redrill or cut and re weld the sway bar mounts. My steering needs adjustment now too to get it centered, i was eventually going to put in a zero rate block to center the axle so that was a real bonus,
Old 08-14-2019, 09:41 PM   #16
sweetk30

with the rear end having the shackle your tire comes closer to the cab when the spring flattens out so watch your tire to inner fender to cab gap . . .

most off road guys move the tire forward to get the room they need .

glad you got a good result . run them for a good 400-500 miles and recheck the specs to see if they settled in any .

and center he wheel your self with just the drag link adjustment from the box to axle arm . and sway bar disconect kit will help line up the swaybar again and correct for the lift and also give it a flex point to let it work yet not effect the ride . http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/swaybarkit.htm