The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #1
bondobob

71 and still playing with trucks.

Let me introduce myself. Official OG, I'm 71 and lowered my first truck (a 66 long bed in '84). I have a 57 pickup full-on hot rod in paint shop prison and a 82 step side K10 named "Show Plow" by my friends after I painted it Marina Blue. It's time to let the 82 go to a new home and I just picked up a 84 short bed fleet side C10. I'm putting in my son's old 350 we built for him in high school and a muncie 4 speed. I will add a posi and some mild gears. There is definitely some rust which is not a problem for me. I want this to be a useable truck for runs to the big box store and for hauling camping supplies and engines. At least 5" of ground clearance. Not a show truck.

My question is which lowering kit is right for me? I may see some winter driving including salted roads but not everyday. Money is not a huge issue as I want to do it once and right.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Images

bondobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
cebra

Re: 71 and still playing with trucks.

Not CPP, you may start with 5" of ground clearance and after a month be dragging frame. Their springs are nowhere near capable of handling the weight of the truck. I have heard good things about ECE stuff. If you go 2.5"+ drop in the front I would get spindles to retain proper alignment. So much better than springs but you may run into backspace issues so check that before you buy spindles.