The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2019, 02:26 AM   #226
Grizz1963

Re: Super Duper Haggis Hauler II - The Resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacQuigley View Post
I may have a problem.

Started to strip the intake off tonight to repaint it over the weekend and found signs of water inside one of the valve covers.

Attachment 1896016

Emulsified oil and water!!!!

I couldnt get the engine to start on Sunday when I last tried and in truth its not been running that well the last couple of weekends. Cant help but think head gasket.
Poop !!!
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 AM   #227
MacQuigley

So the last couple of weekends have been filled with various jobs.

First thing to sort out was the issue with the "sludge" I found under the passenger valve cover.

After getting the intake off I could see no signs of any water contamination and when I pulled the drivers side valve cover and found similar sludge I took a chance that this wasnt the result of a blown head gasket (what are the chances of both blowing at exactly the same time!?!) and decided to put it all back together, after resetting all the valves.

This time I sealed the front and back with a bead of silicon that I let skin over before fitting the intake and torquing down.

So with it all back together, I cant say she fired up first time but she did fire up and seems to be running just fine. I reckon that the last couple of times Id run the engine I didnt run it long enough to let it really heat up and it was really cold out. I think, I hope what I found under the valve covers was just condensation mixing with oil. There was absolutely no signs of oil and water mixing anywhere else.

One very positive thing about doing all this, not including the fact I got the intake repainted at the same time, is the fact that oil leak I had at the back end of the engine seems to have been cured. Not sure whether thats down to the fact that Ive sealed the intake better than before, or whether the new PCV valve is operating better or maybe that the vacuum connection to the new PCV valve is better than before but no matter the reason at least I dont need to take the oil pan off to replace the rear main seal or the pan gasket!

This weekend I started by lengthening the shifter lever. Must admit this is the first time Im been disappointed with Summit. I bought a new Hurst shifter believing the lever was bolt in as Hurst only make bolt in now and there was nothing on the Summit website to suggest otherwise. Unfortunately this turned out not to be the case and according to the Hurst technical support this shifter has been modified by someone other than Hurst. So anyway Im left with what I have (though Hurst have pointed me in the direction of someone who can help with parts if ever I need them) and after a but of cutting and welding Ive now got the shifter lever in a position that makes it easy to shift.

The only issue with the transmission now is the fact that I noticed that when I run the engine its permanently engaged even when in neutral. Looks like Ive knocked something out so thats this weeks task to fix.

Anyway by the time Id finished the shifter on Saturday I wanted to move onto different things so on Sunday I decided to move onto the bed and rear end.

First I set the bed sided into the correct positions and spaced it up so I could check the tyre to fender clearance which was worrying me a little. So with a little fine tuning of the panhard arm I think Ive now got enough clearance. Its still tight but I will see how his works.

Next I decided to torque up all the rear axle, suspension and I fit the parking brake cables.

Then I did a bit of a trial fit of the new bed wood. I wanted to do this more to see if I hwas OK with the natural colour of the wood or to see if I wanted to darken it. Ive decided to keep it as it is. Its a little light but any stain I could put on it is just too dark.

Name:  20190428_114759.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  36.2 KB

Finally I got the rear mufflers fitted and the last of the hangers in place. Only got a couple of tail pipes to fit and thats the exhaust complete.

Name:  20190428_181244_003.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  36.5 KB

So, Im hoping to pick up my new propshaft today or tomorrow and if I can figure out whats up with the transmission tonight then by the end of the week I may actually have a vehicle I can drive. Now that would be NICE!
MacQuigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:49 PM   #228
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is not uncommon without a drive shaft (prop shaft)for the output shaft of a manual trans to turn, while in neutral and the engine running. I believe it is just the oil from the input shaft turning the countershaft and thus the output shaft.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:07 AM   #229
MacQuigley

I think your spot on John. I started to look at it last night and the first thing I noticed was that I could freely turn the shaft by hand while in neutral which meant it wasnt in any gear. I grabbed a welding glove and, carefully, tried to stop it by hand and was able to do so with little effort.

I knew this was a fact on an auto but Id never experienced it in a manual before but as they say every day is a school day.

I also figured out why I couldnt get it into neutral. Basically the bracket Id made to extend the shifter level was 1/8" of an inch too long and was contacting the inner body of the shifter mech preventing the lever moving over far enough to the left. An angle grinder and a cutting disc sorted that easily enough.

So just got the propshaft to collect today and fit tonight, then one final bleed and adjustment of the brakes and I should be able to move the old truck under its own steam for the first time since I got her
Old 04-30-2019, 03:09 AM   #230
mjh1965

Can’t wait to see the video footage

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:13 AM   #231
MacQuigley

Not sure it will be that exciting. I'll only be going up and down the drive!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:34 AM   #232
mjh1965

Bill it’s moving under it’s own power. So by reckoning you have won the race . But who is going to come second that’s the question

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:16 AM   #233
MacQuigley

Lets just say Im the first to get over this particular hurdle.

This is an endurance race and there is still a long way to go!
Old 05-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #234
MacQuigley

So I took the C10 for a wee run at the weekend, all the way up to the top of my drive way for a clean and a bit of a photo shoot.

Name:  20190504_125742_001.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  20190504_125807_008.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  20190504_125902_001.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  49.6 KB

Name:  20190504_125920_005.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  54.2 KB

Also varnished and fitted the bed. Like so many other part it was not an easy fit.

Name:  20190506_160715_002.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  43.2 KB

Still a way to go yet before I get her on the road but it is getting close.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 PM   #235
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The truck is looking great Bill
Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM   #236
MacQuigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
The truck is looking great Bill
Cheers John.

Decided to take a day/weekend off as I needed a bit of a break from it. So my youngest son and I got the rifles out and went to the range for a wee but of long range relaxation!

I must be getting old! Its getting hard to keep ahead of him now. I only beat him by 0.3 of a point in one and completely humped me in another!

Anyway that was Saturday. Sunday I went to help my Dad bleed the brakes on his Cobra, but in the afternoon I got back to the C10. Got the new carb return spring bracket fitted, new MSD plug leads and heat resistant boots fitted oh and I tried to fix the power steering box, hopefully Ive sorted the leak and the problem I caused but trying to fix it in the first place!!!

May not get much done for a couple of weeks now as Im away a fair bit (Im in the far north of Scotland as I type) and my C3 should be back from the paint shop on Wednesday and Ive a new interior to fit, maybe I will got some use out of it this summer!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:35 AM   #237
MacQuigley

Not updated this much lately, partly due to the fact progress has been slow due to work commitments and frankly other cars getting in the way.

However, some progress has been made. Got the tailgate painted and fitted

Name:  20190623_150302_001.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  43.5 KB

Also painted and fitted the front bumper (well almost - forgot to paint the bolts)

Name:  20190629_181627_001.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  41.2 KB

And the cowel panel and side steps are just about finished (including the previously mentioned bumper bolts)

Name:  20190630_183049_001.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  53.8 KB

All thats left to paint is the 2 quarter panels and that should be the body work done. In reality there is now not a lot left to do. I may have it on the road this year after all!
Old 07-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #238
Grizz1963

Excellent progress Bill.

Good to chat over the weekend
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #239
MacQuigley

Well I reckon the truck is just about as far built as its been in manys a year.

Got the quarter panels painted and fitted over the weekend as well as the wing mirrors and trim panels just behind the door.

Name:  20190714_163514.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  71.4 KB

Name:  20190714_163540.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  20190714_163608_005.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  64.6 KB

Also got the bed finally fitted all bar the 2 side strips. I just need to double check but I assume I have to drill through the wood to bolt them down.

Just in the process of producing a list of whats left to do but the reality is not a lot, though you can bet whats left will take for ever!

One thing that might screw me a little is the clearance between the rear wheels and fenders. I had altered the lip already but I hadnt realised that the wheels dont sit in the centre of the fenders meaning the inner lip to the rear is still likely to rub on the tire. Hopefully I can do something about this without having to damage the paint work but it may need some re working.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 PM   #240
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Looks very nice Bill
Old 07-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #241
MacQuigley

The paints not perfect John but Im not a painter Im an electrician but its good enough for now and I can always repaint parts Im not happy with. The goal is to get it running and on the road and enjoy driving it a little. I just want to drive it now, final finishing can wait.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #242
MacQuigley

Got my rear tire/fender clearance issues sorted tonight (one side only at the moment).

I had to trim 1/4 of an inch of the lip on the inside and then fold about another 1/4" in on itself, then beat the crap out of it with a hammer - but the tyre fits nicely now :-) :-) :-)

I will need to do a little paint touch up but its limited to the inner lip and not the exterior of the fender.

Result I say!
Old 08-29-2019, 10:51 AM   #243
MacQuigley

Seeing as Martins been updating his project I though Id best do the same.

Well I have managed a few minor things of late but the most significant was this

Name:  20190804_173249.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  40.4 KB

Managed to hit it against the drain pipe! As my drive is quite narrow I push it from side to side on dollies so I can get the trash bin out. This time Id pushed it too far and couldnt get in to push it back out so I though I could drive it out!

Unfortunately I was so busy watching the front end as it was closest to the house wall, I forgot about the drain pipe! Bugger!

So in truth Im a bit pissed off with it at the moment and as Ive a extension to build onto my son's workshop Im doing that right now and taking a little time out from the C10.

Bit of a shame as Im really close to finishing her. Actually as I type this I think it must be about 4 years almost to the day I bought her. Need to check that.

Last edited by MacQuigley; 08-30-2019 at 02:52 AM.