The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #326
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Haas View Post
Nice work, looks like the gas tank is staying in the cab??
Thanks Robert.....I am gonna leave the tank behind the seat. I have contemplated buying a coating, kinda like NASCAR uses that will help eliminate explosion hazards..... the only things that will not be stock on the truck at this point is the 700R4 tranny, an updated radio that looks like the old one and eventually going to put discs brakes on the front on a 5x5 bolt pattern, plus I am gonna paint the interior a different color and different fabric on the seats.

I bought a bigger tank, I think its 24 gallons that fits behind the seat...it pretty much goes from side to side and fills the entire area behind the seat but uses the stock sender and pickup tube.
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #327
demckenz

Love your truck. Mainly because I have the twin. Mine is red with white insert. It has the original 327 with powerglide and factory air..custom cab SWB. My engine is also the original green color and I'll be doing some of the same things. I will be keeping as original as possible. The only thing I may leave changed is the original owner put disc brakes on the front. He did keep the 6 lug hubs. This is the third 66 SWB I've had. Since it has mostly original paint, everybody tells me to leave it the way it is, but I do like the new look verses patina.
Attached Images

demckenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #328
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by demckenz View Post
Love your truck. Mainly because I have the twin. Mine is red with white insert. It has the original 327 with powerglide and factory air..custom cab SWB. My engine is also the original green color and I'll be doing some of the same things. I will be keeping as original as possible. The only thing I may leave changed is the original owner put disc brakes on the front. He did keep the 6 lug hubs. This is the third 66 SWB I've had. Since it has mostly original paint, everybody tells me to leave it the way it is, but I do like the new look verses patina.
Thanks D....I also forgot to mention that I am changing the grille as well...I went with a C60 Grille. I still have the aluminum original grille and its in great shape that I will be keeping if I ever wanted to change it out all I would have to do is change the headlight buckets out and put it in.

I see you are new...Thanks for stopping by and don't be a stranger!!!
2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #329
cwcarpenter98

The cab is starting to look really good! My truck got hit in the rear at some point and the bed was pushed in to the cab on the passenger side, so I am going to need the same repair.
Where did you get that gas tank? I wouldn't mind having a bigger tank in mine, but I still want to keep the tank in the cab

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:21 PM   #330
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Where did you get that gas tank? I wouldn't mind having a bigger tank in mine, but I still want to keep the tank in the cab
Christian...I bought it at Classic Parts...Its a 24 gallon tank

https://www.classicparts.com/1960-66...tinfo/23-927B/

I cant remember how much I paid for it because it has been awhile....but I think I signed up for their email updates and bought it on sale.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #331
cwcarpenter98

That's not too bad. I did not know that someone repoped the in cab tanks. Thanks for the link!

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
Old 02-07-2019, 10:34 PM   #332
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Christian...I bought it at Classic Parts...Its a 24 gallon tank

https://www.classicparts.com/1960-66...tinfo/23-927B/

I cant remember how much I paid for it because it has been awhile....but I think I signed up for their email updates and bought it on sale.
That is my philosophy for the entire truck...purchase and forget....at least that is what I tell the wife..."huh...what did what cost? I don't remember, not much!"
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:46 PM   #333
demckenz

Hey, still looking at your old posts. The quadrajet had a small metal tag and one of the top cover screws. It had a number on it. Mine matched to the 327. Sometimes if the carburetor was rebuilt, they left it off. Still following all your posts.

Darrell
Old 02-08-2019, 12:37 AM   #334
demckenz

I'm wondering..do you have the P/N off the intake manifold? Do you know where I can get the piece that goes under the thermostat that has the fitting for the bypass hose?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:43 AM   #335
demckenz

Also, can you give me the green engine paint info. Sorry, just going through the same stuff.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 AM   #336
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

For the minimal price difference of an under bed Blazer tank, I would never replace an in cab gas tank.

Many years ago I had someone close to me burn to death in the cab of a truck after being in a wreck that she would have otherwise survived.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #337
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
For the minimal price difference of an under bed Blazer tank, I would never replace an in cab gas tank.

Many years ago I had someone close to me burn to death in the cab of a truck after being in a wreck that she would have otherwise survived.
That is horrible! Always heard horror stories of those gas tanks and the old Ford Pinto gas tanks.

I was lucky and the PO moved the tank to the rear (with a small gas tank..that i upgraded), but even if he didn't, I would have anyway even if I was doing as close to an original restoration as I could...Maybe mock it up behind the seat to look correct, but have the actual tank under the bed. I am thinking of putting the filler neck back on the cab (blocked off) for looks.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #338
Johns 66

Quote:
Hey, still looking at your old posts. The quadrajet had a small metal tag and one of the top cover screws. It had a number on it. Mine matched to the 327. Sometimes if the carburetor was rebuilt, they left it off. Still following all your posts.

Darrell
Yeah my tag was long gone by the time I got it.

Quote:
I'm wondering..do you have the P/N off the intake manifold? Do you know where I can get the piece that goes under the thermostat that has the fitting for the bypass hose?
Im not sure what the part number is on the intake....I had a time trying to find the water pump bypass fitting, luckily Yelmer found me one.

Quote:
Also, can you give me the green engine paint info. Sorry, just going through the same stuff.
If you get with Andy....Roll_The_Dice he will have the code...I think it is Alpine Green but its been awhile since I painted mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
That is my philosophy for the entire truck...purchase and forget....at least that is what I tell the wife..."huh...what did what cost? I don't remember, not much!"
This thing nickels and dimes you to death...in my case 20's and 50's....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post

I am so sorry for your loss....Ironically I had a friend who died in a car fire because he was unable to get the seatbelt unlatched, this was many years ago....and it took a long time before I would even touch a seatbelt. I thought about putting it under the frame and at the time I bought it I simply was gonna have to change the rear main seal because it was leaking......boy how wrong was I then. Little did I know what depths that seal would take me.

Quote:
That is horrible! Always heard horror stories of those gas tanks and the old Ford Pinto gas tanks.

I was lucky and the PO moved the tank to the rear (with a small gas tank..that i upgraded), but even if he didn't, I would have anyway even if I was doing as close to an original restoration as I could...Maybe mock it up behind the seat to look correct, but have the actual tank under the bed. I am thinking of putting the filler neck back on the cab (blocked off) for looks.

I have heard a lot of stories about exploding gas tanks, especially in the Pintos and I know it wont be good if I get hit in the cab corner.....at some point I may change it but since I have already bought it I will use it. I would need a lot of fab work to make it look like I would want with the filler neck coming out of the side...I am gonna get Bryan to weld me a bracket on the frame rails in case I choose to do it later. My thoughts are if I were to do that I would go with either the Holley Sniper, or Fitech Fuel injection systems....but that is a long ways away......gonna do the discs first and rear axles, Power steering and Maybe AC.....The never ending project..lol
2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #339
roll_the_dice

Never ending project indeed! I just ordered John's (CaptainFab) booster bracket with clutch MC. I feel I am getting closer to start putting things back on the truck rather than taking them off.

I went with the FITech Fuel injection. Can't wait to get to the point of actually using it! haha
Old 02-08-2019, 11:40 PM   #340
demckenz

Quote:
Hey, found a NOS bypass hose and new take-off thermostat bypass spacer. Got it while I could.
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #341
Johns 66

Quote:
Hey, found a NOS bypass hose and new take-off thermostat bypass spacer. Got it while I could.
This pic was when I painted it///I put plugs but have since found the correct fitting....The local Napa store had a bypass hose for 9.00 so not too bad
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #342
cwcarpenter98

I like the engine color Your paint job turned out great!

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 AM   #343
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
I like the engine color Your paint job turned out great!
Trust me it looks better in the pic..lol. Only issue I had was that it wasn't heat paint so when the intake got hot it kinda turned it brown a lil bit...Plus I had to replace the water pump after this cause it LEAKED...so when I put a wrench on the bolts it cracked the paint a lil bit but as we say...It aint a Show Truck...LOL
2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-09-2019, 12:35 AM   #344
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Trust me it looks better in the pic..lol. Only issue I had was that it wasn't heat paint so when the intake got hot it kinda turned it brown a lil bit...Plus I had to replace the water pump after this cause it LEAKED...so when I put a wrench on the bolts it cracked the paint a lil bit but as we say...It aint a Show Truck...LOL
Lol at least it's all one color! My block and heads are still orange, but I don't feel like pulling the engine back out to clean, prep, and paint. The oil pan, intake, valve covers, timing cover, and water pump were all pulled off the engine, so they got paint, but I was trying to make power tour so I skipped painting everything else

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 02-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #345
roll_the_dice

Quote:
I painted some bolts yesterday that I know will chip when I install them, but I figured I could touch them up better than paint the entire bolt while they are installed. Maybe we should trademark..."it aint a show truck"™ haha
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #346
Johns 66

Quote:
I painted some bolts yesterday that I know will chip when I install them, but I figured I could touch them up better than paint the entire bolt while they are installed. Maybe we should trademark..."it aint a show truck"™ haha
Nah....we just gotta make some T-shirts...bet we could sell them
2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #347
cwcarpenter98

Get a good design on the shirts, and I bet they would sell. I'd wear one proudly

Overdrive wiring here

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #348
Johns 66

Well not too much done today since today is kinda dreary and overcast but you know what makes a dreary and overcast brighten up? Yeah I know the Sun...and Son but besides those...You wanna know what makes a dreary day bright?...….Wait for it...…..

CHROME

Yes sports fans we got some CHROME today...specifically my grille came back from Electroplating of El Paso and it looks AWESOME!!!! If I had to grade it I would give it a 9.5 out of 10.....because there is only one thing that is perfect.....

So I went ahead and put the headlight buckets back in, I have new adjusters and springs coming for it....I have painted the retaining nuts with POR15...just waiting to let them dry......To give you an idea of what it did look like I will post a couple of before and after pics. I still have to paint the center CHEVROLET and the back center brace …...so you be the judge of it...…….
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-09-2019, 01:26 PM   #349
Johns 66

And now for the after.....I put the headlight buckets in on the ole work bench...AKA The Kitchen Table...lol

Some may not like it and that's ok...I still have the original grille if I ever wanna change it back....but kinda doubt it....It will make GREAT Wall Art.

Yall know I had to get my girl some bling for Valentines Day...LOL
Attached Images

2019 GMC AT4

Last edited by Johns 66; 02-09-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #350
roll_the_dice

That looks awesome. I love it...and love the big truck grille. Now I need one...someday! I thought you were going to chrome "Chevrolet" also, but I think painted will look nicer...make it stand out more.