The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
eric67m

connecting/sealing sm465 to np205?

Currently I have my Sm465 and np205 out of my truck (8 bolt race track version). I am getting new seals for both ends of the adaptor and inside the adaptor. I see on ord's website that the seal on the np205 side is necessary to space the bearing and prevent the cast adaptor from cracking and wearing out outputs and connector sleeves.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Tra...seAdapters.htm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...es-torque.html

Previously I used copper rtv silicone and no gaskets. I have not driven my truck much or very hard since then and my adaptor is ok.

My question is what is needed to properly "re-seal" this combo. I assume the bolts must have some silicone on them because they go into the oil area of both castings. Do I leave the paper gaskets dry or do I put a light coat of silicone or something else on them. Can i reuse an old gasket if they are still intact?

Also for removing and replacing the oil seal in the adaptor casting that goes around the connector sleeve on the np205 end, I assume get the old one out and insert a new one using a socket and tap it in?

I have searched online and not found anything on this subject. Please tell me what you have done in the past.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
Redcap

Re: connecting/sealing sm465 to np205?

I always put a thin smear of copper RTV on the gaskets. Never had a problem and I've been playing the 4x4 game for a long time.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
obijuan

youre pretty much on track. if it aint leaking, its empty. add some water, those part will be fine.

a little smear of sealant on the gasket surfaces do really well. i prefer cork gaskets.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
ryanroo

I always use a gasket. usually i smear them with "red and tacky" bearing grease and let it sit. soaks into the gasket and helps hold the grease in better. helps the gasket stay in place during assembly as well. i have use a light coat of silicone before as well and had success. i would always use a new gasket.

there are two seals on the coupler shaft in the adapter. one faces forward and one faces rear. i had a real blast trying to find them locally. i have a napa part number somewhere for them. they install like any other seal.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote