The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
67chevy4x4c

Frame swap

Has any one ever put a 67/72 Chevy 4x4 truck on a 2000 or newer frame?
67chevy4x4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Frame swap

I have seen a 88-98 2wd swap which for intent purposes is the same, and you'll have to use a bit of a body lift to make work. Probably 2 inches minimum, or modify the body for clearance.

The 88-98 would be a closer swap since the truck is a bit narrower then the later, and the suspension effectively is not different. Either way try getting a truck to borrow to take measurements. Even if it is a 2wd the frames will be the same as 4wd.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
andrewmp6

Why would you want ifs ?
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I have seen a 88-98 2wd swap which for intent purposes is the same, and you'll have to use a bit of a body lift to make work. Probably 2 inches minimum, or modify the body for clearance.

The 88-98 would be a closer swap since the truck is a bit narrower then the later, and the suspension effectively is not different. Either way try getting a truck to borrow to take measurements. Even if it is a 2wd the frames will be the same as 4wd.
the gmt400 trucks are not the same 2wd to 4wd. there is a big difference in the front frame from the front cab mount forward. the 2001+ 2500hd trucks have a much more similar frame 2wd to 4wd.

back to the OP question. i am sure someone has done it. but it is ill advised. to do a safe and proper frame swap will be a huge time investment as well as significant fabrication skill requirement. and in the end it will always look wrong. i wont ever recommend a frame/body swap. if you are going to spend your time fabricating, just fabricate a new frame. there really isn't any benefit to the newer frame over the old, outside of the IFS ride and chassis stiffness. you can spend a little time and imagination to get a decent ride from the OEM set up. boxing the frame and adding or making better crossmembers will stiffen the OEM chassis.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Redcap

Seems like a tremendous waste of time, effort and money.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
the gmt400 trucks are not the same 2wd to 4wd. there is a big difference in the front frame from the front cab mount forward. the 2001+ 2500hd trucks have a much more similar frame 2wd to 4wd.

back to the OP question. i am sure someone has done it. but it is ill advised. to do a safe and proper frame swap will be a huge time investment as well as significant fabrication skill requirement. and in the end it will always look wrong. i wont ever recommend a frame/body swap. if you are going to spend your time fabricating, just fabricate a new frame. there really isn't any benefit to the newer frame over the old, outside of the IFS ride and chassis stiffness. you can spend a little time and imagination to get a decent ride from the OEM set up. boxing the frame and adding or making better crossmembers will stiffen the OEM chassis.
The mounting points for the body are the same, and will allow him to take measurements. That way he can see how many mods he has to do. Read my post again, and the word intent is the big key holder.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
67chevy4x4c

Thank for all the info. It would be nice to have the ifs ride and the 5 speed trans. I think it be a lot of work to do it right and safe.
67chevy4x4c is offline   Reply With Quote