The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2019, 06:48 PM   #1
dmjlambert

How to find or where to buy alternator belt

When I got my truck I bought and quickly went through v-belts that were thin and stretch easily and were generally cruddy. The Autozone and O'Reilly store brand belts are pretty much glorified rubber bands. I had one that lasted about 1 week before completely falling apart. Then I switched to Gates belts which are much better. Now a year has passed and the belt is starting to chirp when I start then engine up from cold. Cold around here means 65 to 75 F. After the truck warms up, the chirping goes away. The belt is adequately tightened. So, I'm thinking about getting a fresh belt. My question: is there a better belt? I would like to get one that is robust and that fills the v-groove, and is just plain no-foolin fantastic, better than Gates.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: How to find or where to buy alternator belt

That looks to be the wrong width belt- it is sitting too low in the pulley grooves. Also, do the water pump groove and the groove on the crankshaft pulley have rust like the unused groove on the water pump pulley? That rust can chew a belt pretty quickly. The belts should last for many years, depending on climate and mileage.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:12 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Here is a better picture, there is more dust than rust on the unused groove. The belt is in pretty much excellent condition, no cracks or other wear. It is the most correct size I am able to find, it is just like every other Gates belt at O'Reilly auto parts. As far as I know they do not have a thicker or better one, and I did beg them to sell me an even better belt. This is the best they have. The new belt I am getting ready to buy from them will look exactly like the one I'm taking off, no difference at all. I agree it does not fit the groove as well as it could. So, what is everybody doing about this for their trucks?
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #4
Troy Sr

Just looking at your last picture it seems that your belt is running on the bottom of the groove. It looks polished. I went to my local parts store not a chain store, the counter person measured the belt on the belt stick and found me a wider belt and never had another squeal again. The counter people at chains stores only know how to use a computer!!! Just like the Rock Auto commercial song says!!!
Old 12-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #5
Troy Sr

Here's a picture of mine, it's hard to see but if you zoom a bit you can see where the outer surface of the belt is level with the OD of the pully where as yours is down in the groove. Good Luck!!

Old 12-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #6
dmjlambert

I don't follow what you are saying about "local parts store not a chain store". I am not aware of any parts store that is not a chain store. 100% of the stores around here are Carquest, Advance, Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc. That is why I'm asking here what to actually do about this or how to find the right place. If I could find the proper belt brand and size or part number, I could order it online or probably order it from one of these chain stores. Yes, the car parts store counter people only know how to find parts from the application (make/model/year) and they barely know how to do that.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
BigBird05

The first number on a Gates belt is the width. the next 3 numbers are the length. An example is 7530. 1/2 belt 53.0 inches long. You need to find a wider belt.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
The first number on a Gates belt is the width. the next 3 numbers are the length. An example is 7530. 1/2 belt 53.0 inches long. You need to find a wider belt.
Yup. DJ, what is the number on your belt, now? Seems like we can at least get a consensus on which one to get. It ain't the one you have now, not meaning any offense by that. I don't like buying parts that don't last, either. It's kind of like getting robbed.

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #9
dmjlambert

Yes, the existing belt is a 7520. I wonder if anybody with an original SBC 350 on one of these trucks has used anything other than the 7 series belt when they use a Gates belt.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #10
dmjlambert

I've been getting robbed on a variety of parts for this truck. :-)
Old 12-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #11
toolboxchev

Do not feel that your all alone, I have been through 3 brake boosters, 4 starters, 2 sets of wheel cylinders, 4 alternators, and 3 voltage regulators.

All but the first was warranty replacements under a lifetime warranty! My 6 month old belt does the same thing, it squeals, squeaks, and really wines when I hammer the throttle.

The original equipment was better, built by the original manufacture. All of this ancillary equipment is what drives me bat **** crazy. I gotta do the labor!

The Original Truck in its rust is still moving down the road with the first real engine rebuild on it a total of 389,000 miles. Currently on 90 k with the motor.

I have yet to figure out the belt thing, after the rust is gone, the shiny polished surface I know under the belt is not assisting the matter. That big heavy pully on most alts. does not help the matter later. I got a bigger replacement that is much more lighter. It worked for a while.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #12
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Yes, the existing belt is a 7520. I wonder if anybody with an original SBC 350 on one of these trucks has used anything other than the 7 series belt when they use a Gates belt.
A guess based on my 30+ years experience as a mechanic, would be a Gates belt # 8525 or maybe # 8530.... Both are wider and will "ride" higher in the pullies than the one you have, and are also a bit longer...
RustyPile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:36 AM   #13
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
A guess based on my 30+ years experience as a mechanic, would be a Gates belt # 8525 or maybe # 8530.... Both are wider and will "ride" higher in the pullies than the one you have, and are also a bit longer...
Riding higher in the pulleys would be because they are wider. I think that you found the answer to his issue!

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-07-2019, 12:49 AM   #14
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolboxchev View Post
Do not feel that your all alone, I have been through 3 brake boosters, 4 starters, 2 sets of wheel cylinders, 4 alternators, and 3 voltage regulators.
I feel just a bit better now..... my list consists of 3 new A/C compressors, 4 alternators, and 3 voltage regulators. Internally regulated alternator finally did the trick.

To the OP's problem, I think you guys have nailed it. Gotta come up with a wider belt one way or the other. My local NAPA is great at finding the right parts. If you have one, give 'em a try.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #15
dmjlambert

Thank you very much. I love guesses based on 30+ years experience as a mechanic, that's fantastic. Got to be better than my guesses. I will post pictures when I find and install the better belt.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:04 AM   #16
tj1970cst

Quote:
I don't follow what you are saying about "local parts store not a chain store". I am not aware of any parts store that is not a chain store. 100% of the stores around here are Carquest, Advance, Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc. That is why I'm asking here what to actually do about this or how to find the right place. If I could find the proper belt brand and size or part number, I could order it online or probably order it from one of these chain stores. Yes, the car parts store counter people only know how to find parts from the application (make/model/year) and they barely know how to do that.
I do not know anything about where you are.

Around here there is union auto parts. They are a parts plus place. They handle ac delco, motor craft and mopar parts as well as brands like dorman, moog, etc. They have real parts guys that know how things work and how to solve problems, find parts. They remember your name when you go in.

When we had car quest they were ok. Like you said, the chain stores are terrible. O'Reilly's had 2 real good guys for a while. Joe and Larry, of course since they aren't stupid, they both moved on to bigger and better things.

Good luck, real parts stores are a dying breed.
tj1970cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

Parts store guys and gals are people. It depends on what person you are dealing with, not the sign out front. We people out here with our internet and parcel delivery are Rock Auto's chain so that they can operate from a single base and undersell the local store (chain or independent) you can go grab a part right now from. My NAPA has a parts loft behind the counter above the shelving. All around the outside of the loft hang v-belts from smallest to largest. With good eyes you can find the number you are looking for, if you know what they mean. You can get the right belt dealing with even the most lame parts person. I know that's just my store, but I always save the number I know works best after going through finding the right size dilemma, especially on non-original configuration engines. Different alternator mounting, tall valve covers, etc. I also use the Z/28 deep grove alternator pulleys

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-10-2019 at 08:30 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #18
dmjlambert

Can you please tell more about Z/28 deep grove alternator pulleys? Where does a person obtain one? Is there a way to order one online, or does the parts store have one? Are they bigger around so the belt grabs more of their circumference? Are they a deeper grove than the engine pully? I think I have an alternator pully that is about the same depth as my engine pully.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #19
tj1970cst

You can buy one online just search z/28 alternator pulley. I dont think it will help your squealing. It has a deeper groove to keep the belt from jumping during high rpm.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #20
tj1970cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Parts store guys and gals are people. It depends on what person you are dealing with, not the sign out front.
Most of the chain stores do not do a good job recruiting or retaining people. The best ones stay hidden from folks walking through the front door, back in commercial sales.

It would be nice to be able to tell the counter guy I want 8 rc12yc spark plugs or a can of Chevrolet orange paint without being asked "what year is your car?"

It's not the persons fault for not knowing. It is the company's fault for hiring them, then placing them with no training.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #21
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1970cst View Post
Most of the chain stores do not do a good job recruiting or retaining people. The best ones stay hidden from folks walking through the front door, back in commercial sales.

It would be nice to be able to tell the counter guy I want 8 rc12yc spark plugs or a can of Chevrolet orange paint without being asked "what year is your car?"

It's not the persons fault for not knowing. It is the company's fault for hiring them, then placing them with no training.
I went into a speed shop (which not longer exists) and asked for the house brand headers for a SBC in a '56 Chevy. The guy asked me what engine, I told him it was a 305. Of course that wasn't in the catalog as available in '56. OK, fine sell me a set for a 283. He wouldn't, because I had already told him I had a 305! I went to a different speed shop and got them. Wild.

As far as untrained people go, I see that all the time. One of my sons went to work at a Taco Bell when he was in high school. They put him on the order window for the drive through without explaining where the buttons were for the different combination meals (not marked on there either) at lunch time! SMH

Simi Valley, CA
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
We have all the popular "chain" stores here in my town of Oak Harbor, WA. We also have Oak Harbor Auto Parts, that has been around since the 1940's. They have a "house brand" of parts (It has changed over the years from Parts Plus to Auto Exxtra and a few others I believe), but they are a local store owned by a local family. They get 100% of my business.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:01 AM   #23
rpmerf

It REALLY depends store to store, and employee to employee, but at this point, I hardly ever go to a brick and mortar store without a part number in hand and have verified the part is at that location. Most of the time, I am ordering from Rock Auto or Summit Racing, because I can get the part I want, not just whatever part is on their shelf.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:29 PM   #24
Grumpy old man

drive it to Napa , Open the hood and tell them you need a new set of gates belts . Check them before you leave . Done .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #25
volksworld

if the belt was initally installed on a rusty pully it would have worn prematurely regardless of size...now that it has sacrificially polished your pully there's a good chance the original size will fit and work...good chance if you had taken a wire wheel to the pully in the first place we wouldnt be having this conversation...the gates green stripe belts are really good