The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
HeavyHauler

EZ Air ride vs coil spring drop for C10

I am thinking about bagging my 1968 Chevy C10 shortbed and I am wondering if anybody here has used the EZ Air ride system or any other air ride system and what was your experience?

Did you have to do alot of cutting or welding? Did it affect your front wheel alignment and wear the tires excessively? What about overall ride quality did it suffer or was it the same?

If it is too much of a hassle I might just go with drop coils.

If anybody could chime in it would be helpful. Thanks!
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Ironangel

Re: EZ Air ride vs coil spring drop for C10

I'm not familiar with EZ Air Ride but before I replaced the coils up front I'd go with the drop spindles first. That will drop the front 2-1/2" inches without changing anything else in the steering geometry or the suspension. Then work the four corners doing whatever is necessary to install the air bags in place of the factory coils...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Rufas

I'm using RideTech front bags and their shockwave bag/shocks in the rear. My setup is a super simple manual setup nothing automatic with a itty bitty air compressor. The air compressor, bags and controls are about 20 years old. I'm slow, it took me about 20 years to finish this truck. I'm also using 2 1/2 inch drop spindles. Absolutely no alignment problems.

350 SBC 300hp
Weiand Supercharger
FiTech EFI
Rufas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

I don't know about the EZ Ride system you refer to (Can you post a part number?) But I have a basic manual valve system in my Burban. It was poorly installed when I bought it and it has been a reoccurring source of irritation and drain on my time since I decide to keep it. I have poured a bunch of time and money into bringing the set up up to standard. I can only count a couple of months that leaks were not a problem. By leaks I mean I should be able to let the truck sit 12 hours without losing pressure in the tank or a bag. (As a side note after more than 15 years as a tug boat mechanic I am quite familiar with air controls)
Ride quality can be good but as little as 5 PSI can be the difference in good and poor. So proper engineering during the installation will help but it is likely you will have to take and modify the bag mounts to dial In the ride height/ quality after it is on the road.
Alignment isn't a big deal but remember when you deviate from the ride height you use when you do the alignment it will affect the toe in setting. Deviate to far and bump steer and be an issue. In more than 13000 miles since I put it on the road I have seen no measurable front tire wear, but for some reason the rears are wearing much faster.
As far as bang for the buck and ease of maintenance static suspension wins every time. Prior to purchasing my Burban I had no interest in air bags, but I was willing to give them a try after getting the truck. In hindsight I would have been better off to go static. Not having a need to "lay frame" the only benefit in my world is when I load it up with plywood or a couple of engine blocks I can level the truck out.
If you are interested in the work I did on my daily driver Burban click the WMB link below.
I hope my opinion helps you make an informed decision.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote