The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2019, 05:27 PM   #1
Andy4639
Old member

Question NSS in auto

Can somebody please look at their wiring harness and tell me where the purple wire comes out of the harness to go to the NSS please?
I'm converting the 68 from a 3 speed to Auto and need to know where the purple wire comes out of the harness to tie into the NSS. Thanks.

I know about where to cut it to add the pig tail but would like a closer idea. I only have a short bit of purple wire to use.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: NSS in auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Can somebody please look at their wiring harness and tell me where the purple wire comes out of the harness to go to the NSS please?
I'm converting the 68 from a 3 speed to Auto and need to know where the purple wire comes out of the harness to tie into the NSS. Thanks.

I know about where to cut it to add the pig tail but would like a closer idea. I only have a short bit of purple wire to use.

Andy,

There are two 12ga purple wires. One comes from the ignition switch to the NSS and it would be hot with the key in the "START" position and the other goes from the NSS to the bulkhead connector on the firewall (behind the fuse box) and from there to the SOL terminal on the starter.... Here is a picture of the Wire loom that they go into.
LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-05-2019 at 09:22 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: NSS in auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Andy,

There are two 12ga purple wires. One comes from the ignition switch to the NSS and it would be hot with the key in the "START" position and the other goes from the NSS to the bulkhead connector on the firewall (behind the fuse box) and from there to the SOL terminal on the starter.... Here is a picture of the Wire loom that they go into.
LockDoc
On my 3 speed wiring harness there is one large purple wire that goes from the fuse block to the ignition switch. Then the other smaller purple wire goes to the lights.
I want to know where to cut the large wire to add the NSS into the system.So your saying it goes straight to the NSS switch then into the under dash harness if I'm reading your statement correctly...right.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
On my 3 speed wiring harness there is one large purple wire that goes from the fuse block to the ignition switch. Then the other smaller purple wire goes to the lights.
I want to know where to cut the large wire to add the NSS into the system.So your saying it goes straight to the NSS switch then into the under dash harness if I'm reading your statement correctly...right.
Yes, from the ign switch to the NSS and from the NSS to the bulkhead connector. If you check the engine side of that connector there should be a large (12ga) purple wire in that same location and it should go to the starter solenoid.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: NSS in auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Yes, from the ign switch to the NSS and from the NSS to the bulkhead connector. If you check the engine side of that connector there should be a large (12ga) purple wire in that same location and it should go to the starter solenoid.

LockDoc

Thanks,
So the pig tail needs to be cut into the wire pretty close to the fuse block then and just ran to the NSS switch. This will keep me from have 2 butt connectors in the line. I can cut the wire into and put spades on each end and call it good.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-06-2019, 01:08 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks,
So the pig tail needs to be cut into the wire pretty close to the fuse block then and just ran to the NSS switch. This will keep me from have 2 butt connectors in the line. I can cut the wire into and put spades on each end and call it good.

Yes, if both ends will reach the NSS.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: NSS in auto

So I cut about the purple wire coming out of the fuse block about 12" away and put a spade connector on it. I then added 12" of wire back to the other side and put a butt connector and spade on it to hook to the NSS. I hope it's enough. It's basically the same length as the reverse light pig tail in the harness so hopefully it's long enough.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 12-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
So I cut about the purple wire coming out of the fuse block about 12" away and put a spade connector on it. I then added 12" of wire back to the other side and put a butt connector and spade on it to hook to the NSS. I hope it's enough. It's basically the same length as the reverse light pig tail in the harness so hopefully it's long enough.

It should be.

LockDoc

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-07-2019 at 01:46 PM.