The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2019, 11:44 PM   #1
Seanext

Service bed dimensions

I have a K20 LWB of coarse, that I am working on and am thinking of adding a service bed just to be a little different. I can find plenty of used beds but trying to figure out the right dimensions to look for is a little puzzling. I know that most beds are universal mounting to the frame and I will have to build mounts for that. I am looking for overall width, cab to wheel center line, and wheel opening dimensions. And other dimensions that I might need to make sure I get the right size bed. Anybody have one to measure or know the dimensions? I have done searches and can find information for newer truck but not our years.
Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:55 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Service bed dimensions

For a longbed pickup (127") you want a 56" cab to axle. The 60" CA is for 1t cab & chassis (133"). I don't know the widths but the single rear beds have a 4 x 8 floor with no wheelhouses. The DRW beds do and have deeper boxes, but also 4' wide. Can't lay plywood flat in bed. Single rear wheel bodies are made to be approximately the same width as a truck cab. You have that to measure, then when you find a service body compare that number. I'd say no more than 4" total wider would still look fine. But I doubt any would even be so wide. Look up a body company and find their specs. These things don't change much

https://www.readingbody.com/

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-07-2019 at 07:55 AM.
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:31 AM   #3
KevinK7

Sean,
Not that I've measured the Utility body, but I'd gladly do so for what you're looking for. My '68 has a period Service body ("Servis" brand), but let me know what specific measurements you'd be interested in and I'll grab them.

Kevin

KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #4
Mike C

I really like the way the "saddle pack" boxes that bolt to the factory stepside look. They are lower than the aftermarket service beds and they still allow a full 4x8 bed floor. You might score some of those if you ask around as well.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Seanext

Thanks Special K that is the main information that i needed.
I like the boxes that are mounted on the the step side bed also but have never seen any of those for sale either on the forum or anywhere else. I have been searching the government surplus websites for that type of boxes as well. You know the government is the one that had the unusual stuff like that.
Seanext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
Gromit

Here are the dimensions per the Service Manual; though the diagram is generalized for several models; in other words not specific to any one model.

But the measurements in the attached chart should be right.

I half-tried looking into a service body too since one of my bedsides is too far gone; but gave up when none of the current manufacturers even mentioned the 67-72 series; plus they were priced way more than a new set of bedsides.

Of the modern makers I liked the Knapheide designs; and the idea of a full aluminum utility body might have its advantages compared to the heavier steel. Reading designs looked good too.

There was an earlier thread on here that showed a lot of these beds - I think if you search for "Utility Bed". but I haven't seen anyone post photos of the process of mounting a modern service or utility bed on a 67-72 - I'd like to see it though.
Attached Images

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote