The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #1
itg

Land of the Lost

Hello everyone,

Hi, My name is Ian, and I am an...idiot? I'll let you in on my little journey so far.

Back in February I sold my "daily" 2006 Tacoma @ 16mpg for a '97 Civic @ 36mpg, and at 40 miles/day it adds up. I really liked the Tacoma, and yes there are pros & cons of each, but it was prime time to sell it, seeing as I got almost what I paid for it, 4 years and 40k miles later. Now for the story.

About 10 or so years ago I had a '69 C10 and ended up having to sell it. Forward 10 years and the wife and I agreed that after I sold the tacoma, that I still needed a "truck" to haul stuff, as I do all of my own work on and around my house. I was on CL and ebay looking and checked out a few c10 trucks, when all of a sudden she decided that she would like a "hybrid" truck/SUV so I can haul when I need to and also have something to tow a trailer if/when we get one, while also having something to four-wheel the family around in in this beautiful state. When I realized I could combine my love for the 67-72 chevy styling with a utilitarian vehicle, there was no choice. Enter "the 69" BLAZER #1.

Let me start off by admitting that I jumped the gun on this one. I didnt do enough homework, and realized after the bought it, that I was in way over my head. Sometimes I think I can do more than I can. Let me also admit at this point that I am definitely a shade of green when it comes to vehicles. I can do enough to get by, but I surely have a ceiling on my knowledge... Enter ALL OF YOU. I have been a snooper (or whatever you call 'em) for a month or so now, absorbing tons of information all of you amazing peeps have to offer, and so far it has been very helpful.

After tearing into this baby, I realized that this truck could not and would not (under my power) be where I would need it to be, anytime soon. If it was just a project truck and I could sit on for 10 years, than this truck would have been fine, but I was looking for a fairly solid driver that I could fix as needed.

A long story short, not only does it have a serious amount of exterior body work, as you can see, both driver floor pans, rockers, doors, behind doors would need replacing. The three on the tree was removed, engine has been replaced and hooked to a TH350 that has no linkage, there was a good amount of oil in the coolant when I drained it (blown head gasket?). Not to mention the tranny mount bolts were hand tightened. I was just overwhelmed by amount of work that was visible, let alone what would need to be fixed that I havent found. It would be a doable project and especially worth it being a '69, but for what I needed currently, it proved too much. So at this moment, I am going to part a couple of things from it and probably eventually sell it.

Enter "the 70" Blazer #2.

A week or so before we decided that maybe I should look again for something a little more "driveable" and "put together," I noticed a Blazer on the local Denver CL that says "one owner, runs" for $3000. At that moment I wasnt in the market, and a couple of days or so later it was gone. Didnt think much of it. Maybe two weeks later I am on ebay and I see what looks to be the same Blazer with a Buy It Now price of $10k in nearby Golden. Im thinking "what the h***?" I see that someone bids it to $6500. A couple weeks later I see this on ebay with a Buy It Now of $12.5k:

I take a closer look, notice a couple things, and quickly realize that this is the same blazer I had seen a couple weeks before, except white, and black painted rims. I read the description which states that he "professionally patched" the rust holes behind the door, did some other body work and sprayed it in primer sealer. I "watch" it for the 6 days, and soon after I get home from work one day, I see that it is in its final hour and the bid is only at $5500. After considering what availability is out there, the fact that it has documented one original owner (my seller never signed over title), has protecto plate and original owners manual with it, numbers matching frame, engine, rear axle, and tranny to protecto plate, with working original stereo and original 4 speed manual with the granny, zero windshield rust, and what seems only to need to replace outer rockers from rust (I know, Im being optimistic, ok?) and some other minor body work, it seemed a fair price at $5600.

Anyhow, I won the auction and brought her home a month or so ago, now Im feeling her out, figuring out what she needs to be done to make her mechanically sound.

So far, since bringing her home, I realized that the "professional body work" done to replace the rust holes behind the door was actually a lap welded patch which Im not even sure he removed all the rust, and Ive notice some other body issues that I am a little disappointed in, but guess I can handle at the moment, im just annoyed. Ive replaced a loose water pump, replaced the fuel pump (after it stalled out on me in front of my house idling and then witnessed a dry fuel line going into the carb.) I swapped out the idiot lights dash in the '70 with the gauges dash and cab harness from the '69 (thanks to all of your information and knowledge.)

So that is it for now, Ive got a few issues that I could use help with but I will leave that for another time. Dont be too harsh on me in your comments, as I am harsh enough on myself, but I am definitely willing to take advice and constructive criticism as I move forward in this journey.
itg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 AM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Land of the Lost

Hello from Montana - You're in good shape, have come to the right place, and fit right in providing lots of pics! . Lot's of folks here willing to help. You have two good K5's. What are your goals now - rebuild both or start with the 70?

Not to be tacky, but if you aren't planning on using the CB brackets from the 70 I'd buy those for use on my 72 Blazer. I've got a GM 23 channel CB I'd like to put into use. You may need the space under the heater control for the OEM speaker

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 AM   #3
itg

Thanks, and sorry the CB bracket size didnt work out for ya.

Honestly, I dont have the room or the finances to keep both, so my plan is to checklist what parts I can swap from the '69 and eventually sell it. At the moment, Im thinking Id like to swap the front disc brakes, the rally rims, the front windshield (the '70s is spider-webbed), the left side window in the top (as you can see it has a fiberglass sheet siliconed to it currently, and some other odd and ends. In the end I am hoping to just get what paid out of it, but not in a gigantic hurry.

P.S. I pulled up the thread on your 72 Blaze, and damn dude, Im pretty jealous.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Thanks! Still making changes to the Blazer and my K20 - the work hasn't stopped.

Building one Blazer from the best of both sounds like the best plan. Does one already have disc brakes? Disc brakes were first offered on 1971 models. Installing a gauge cluster might be a useful add but would entail harness swaps as well.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #5
itg

Just wanted to update, and obligatorily (is that a word?) close this thread, for those who may care (if any ). After spending most of every weekend day and many evenings of the summer working on the '70, and after some serious conversation with the wife...and some soul searchin', I realized that my little Blazer Adventure was going to have to be postponed to a later date. In early August we decided to sell both of the blazers, and return back to my original plan. I sold the '70 in August on ebay, and just last week sold the '69 to a guy in Nebraska who said hes restored 15-20 1st Gen Blazers, but said this was his first '69. I realized that I'd rather be spending my time with my 2 y/o boy growing up, than in the garage working. I came to the conclusion that it just wasnt the right time in my life to be taking on such a big project.

I found a '72 C20 locally that has a rebuilt engine and tranny, had body work done and a re-paint, and the kicker is (and you'll appreciate this one DeadheadNM) I was looking at the SPID after I bought it, and it is a '72 Highlander. Most of all, it is in really good condition mechanically, so I dont need to put too much time into it...and my son LOVES riding in "DADDY'S TWUCK!"

Last edited by itg; 10-17-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itg View Post
Just wanted to update, and obligatorily (is that a word?) close this thread, for those who may care (if any ). After spending most of every weekend day and many evenings of the summer working on the '70, and after some serious conversation with the wife...and some soul searchin', I realized that my little Blazer Adventure was going to have to be postponed to a later date. In early August we decided to sell both of the blazers, and return back to my original plan. I sold the '70 in August on ebay, and just last week sold the '69 to a guy in Nebraska who said hes restored 15-20 1st Gen Blazers, but said this was his first '69. I realized that I'd rather be spending my time with my 2 y/o boy growing up, than in the garage working. I came to the conclusion that it just wasnt the right time in my life to be taking on such a big project.

I found a '72 C20 locally that has a rebuilt engine and tranny, had body work done and a re-paint, and the kicker is (and you'll appreciate this one DeadheadNM) I was looking at the SPID after I bought it, and it is a '72 Highlander. Most of all, it is in really good condition mechanically, so I dont need to put too much time into it...and my son LOVES riding in "DADDY'S TWUCK!"
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Two major things it takes for a restoration like you were facing:
1: TIME.....and lots of it
2: MONEY....and lots of it too.

If working on, and restoring, these old trucks is therapeutic for someone then it's worth the time and money. If not then you're better off to let it go for other things that are.

You're not an idiot....everyone lacked knowledge and experience at one point in their life. I would rather think you are smart for realizing your limitations before sinking the time and money into it with little chance of success.
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote