The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #1
engineco713

What did I do to my tranny????

Hey all,
I have an 86 C-20 with about 130,000 miles with a 350 engine and 4 speed with granny setup. I'm not using it as a daily driver but my "new" truck was in the shop so I drove it to work. Upon stopping at 7-11 I went to start the truck and it seemed like the clutch was engaging even though I had it to the floor. I had to shut off the truck to get it to shift into neutral. I was able to get it started and shift but when I pulled up to the first red light the engine was dying out like I had the clutch out. I can't get it into "L" at all, and 1st is a bear, 2nd and 3rd shift fine. So then last night as I'm nursing it home and I go to back into my driveway and I can't get it into reverse while its running. So I had to shut it off and back up as I was starting it to be able to move it. To me it seems like the clutch isn't releasing but someone said it could be a throw-out bearing. I just had the clutch master cylinder replaced about 10 months ago and have only driven it about 1000-1500 miles if that since the replacement. I also read it could be air in the master cylinder but I haven't had any problem before now. Can anyone provide any insight?????
engineco713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

Re: What did I do to my tranny????

Bad slave cylinder would be my guess. My buddy's 91 Camaro did the same thing, and would constantly drain all the fluid out of the clutch master cylinder because a seal in his slave went bad after only 8 months. Every time it started going low, it got harder and harder to get the trans out of gear, and when it was extremely low it wouldn't dis-engage from gear at all. There's also a very specific way to bleed the slave cylinders out; they're nothing like bleeding brakes.
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #1
-357 / 700r4
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #2
-350 / TH350
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
engineco713

So how hard is it to replace? The fluid level was fine in the master cylinder. Also anyone know what type tranny that is so I can look for a replacement?

Last edited by engineco713; 03-08-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

I can't say for the 465. My experience comes from the T5. It sucks with only one person though; having a second pair of hands really made a difference.

As far as bleeding the slave... You open the bleed screw, and let it gravity bleed until it comes out as a steady stream. Next, close the bleed screw, and push the slave's actuator arm all the way in. Then, charge it up by pushing the clutch pedal a few times until you get good pressure. If it still feels like there's air in the system, repeat the process.

Doing that from memory; I might have forgotten a step. But those are the important steps.
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #1
-357 / 700r4
1975 GMC Gentleman Jim #2
-350 / TH350
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
engineco713

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
I can't say for the 465. My experience comes from the T5. It sucks with only one person though; having a second pair of hands really made a difference.

As far as bleeding the slave... You open the bleed screw, and let it gravity bleed until it comes out as a steady stream. Next, close the bleed screw, and push the slave's actuator arm all the way in. Then, charge it up by pushing the clutch pedal a few times until you get good pressure. If it still feels like there's air in the system, repeat the process.

Doing that from memory; I might have forgotten a step. But those are the important steps.
Ok....thanks....I'll see if that works.