The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #31
Run Away

Re: What to bring on 1000 mile road trip with a truck I've never seen?

Hey guys!

Got back tonight. Here are the highlights:
Arrived in AR.
Checked things over. Had bulb out, no heat, and leaking from one of the heater hoses. Fixed the heat and leak be eliminating a manual valve someone had installed in-line on the heater hose that was seized shut and putting on a new hose clamp.
While leaving the lot the brake pedal went to the floor. Made it a block before tuning around. Got a new master cylinder and put it on.
Went to Walmart to buy fluids, a jack, and to get a new spare tire to replace the old one that didn't hold air. Found no oil on the dipstick, topped it up about 2 qt.
Made it to Pryor, OK when the left front tire blew. Swapped the spare on but didn't feel like pushing my luck and driving through the night without a spare. The next morning went to walmart and got 4 more new tires.
Left Pryor around 11 am on saturday, I forget where I was but the heater core then blew.
I looped the lines at a gas station and continued on, but the truck was boiling over whenever I pulled off the road. Limped it to LMC Truck in Kansas, bought a bunch of parts (locking gas cap to replace my leaking one, all three mirrors, rad cap, water temp gauge, fan clutch, inner and outer rocker panels, and heater core).
Swapped the heater core out in a truck stop parking lot in Kansas City (after checking on these forums how to get the heater box on an a/c cab out. Stupid fenderwell J clips!). Left Kansas City around 11pm saturday, drove all night except for a quick 2 hr nap at a rest station.
I guess between having the heater on full blast to lessen the load on the cooling system and the colder outside temps the truck didn't boil the coolant out the overflow any more and I was able to just drive straight through, stopping for fuel and topping up the oil. Used 6 qt in total on the trip...
Had a bit of a fog/ice storm in South Dakota that was sketchy but it cleared up once I hit North Dakota.
Breezed through customs and the border in less than 30 minutes since I had my paper work all ready to go, and rolled into my driveway for 6:30 tonight!

I'm glad it's all over now, was pretty stressful. Buying sight-unseen was a bad idea, the cab has plenty of rust hidden away in annoying locations but it's mine now so I'm going to make the best of it and make this a long term project.

Last edited by Run Away; 02-09-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Run Away is offline   Reply With Quote