The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
gxc

Project Blue To Black

Okay this is the last one I'll be posting since I screwed up the other two. So after about a year and a half of me selling my 1969 Chevy C10 and missing the hell out of working on these beautiful creatures, my father and I decided to purchase a 1972 Chevy C10 custom deluxe. It got towed up here from NC and paid 1500 for it. So far we're just cutting out all of the old rusted metal and replacing all of it slowly but surely. It's got an ac cab, front disk brakes, power steering, 350 V8, and an automatic transmission. Eventually a 700R4 is going to be put in and we're probably going to drop a 400 small block in it but that's at a lot later date. I'll keep this thread updated with the work we get done (both of us are usually off on the weekends and that's when we get most of the work done on it).

gxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
boynton

Re: Project Blue To Black

looks like you will have your work cut out for you with that cab. Keep at it and you will get it eventually! is that a new bedside I see?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
gxc

Re: Project Blue On Black

We installed a new air cleaner, replaced the upper radiator hose, and the gasket since it was leaking. The air cleaner is only temporary until we put one with a snorkel on.

The original cab corners and rockers are cut out now and we're waiting on some more metal to come in the mail so we can start cutting all of that out as well and finally start welding some new metal in.

Last edited by gxc; 07-24-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
gxc

That's the new and old master cylinder. We bled the brakes to find out the master cylinder was leaking so that was a lot of fun.

The cab has some small holes that can be patched with some new metal when we get some 12 gauge sheet metal but other than some small holes it's mainly just surface rust that we're getting off with a wire brush and priming it for now.

Here's the old muffler we had to take out. I'll let you figure out why we had too.

We took this idea from another truck on this website to add a spring around the hood latch so you don't have to fondle it to get it open and it just pops right up. Great idea from another guy on this forum.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
gxc

Quote:
Originally Posted by boynton View Post
looks like you will have your work cut out for you with that cab. Keep at it and you will get it eventually! is that a new bedside I see?
It's off of a 69 since the original one had a lot of rust on it. The bed itself is completely solid but it has some surface rust in the bed and that we'll get out with a wire wheel and end up spraying a bed liner in it in the future.

By the way, we are not going for a show car by any means. My father and I have decided to make it a hot rod but a possible daily driver as well.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #6
gxc

Since I last updated this thread, we've taken out of the old exhaust system and replaced it with one we found on summit racing with a pair of headers (really great price we got it as well), replaced the radiator and a few hoses along with it, cut out all the old metal and ordered all the new metal for the truck but unfortunately we don't know how to wield so we haven't been able to do anything with that yet, replaced the carrier bearing and u joints, and bought a new steel pipe rear bumper that we're going to put on. We'll have the truck up and in running condition after we replace a few gaskets and change the transmission fluid but the biggest bane of our existence right now is the metal work. But we have some money coming this July and we might be able to take it to a shop to have it done so we can be done with it. I'll keep this updated over the course of the next few months with any new pictures.

Last edited by gxc; 06-01-2015 at 02:39 PM.