The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
C.I.Blazer

Mounting Front Bucket Seats

On vacation and as we were driving to our rental I saw an old blazer sitting in a field with a bunch of other cars. I am in need of a new top (of course would like a single wall) so the next day I went back to see what it was. Turns out the top is double wall and in worse shape then mine, but I did notice a couple of what appeared to be original front seats in pretty good shape along with a console.

The seats in my blazer are not original and are in really bad shape so i have been trying to figure out what to replace them with. I did not get a chance to look closely at the seats since the owner was not there and I do not know much about original seats in general. Now that I have done some reading I see the the mounting of the sport seats and the utility seats is different. Not being home, I have now way to see what mounting holes my Blazer has. Is it a big deal to mount one type of seat in the floor set up for another? I know the front mounting holes are the same and that the rear holes are different. Is it just a matter of drilling new holes and putting in some large washers or something to spread out the load?

Can someone give me an idea of current values of sport and utility seats plus console in decent condition? I spoke to the owner and am going over tomorrow or Friday. He also said he had a couple of other blazers that he would show me.

Any thing else I should look for (other than extreme bend tow hooks)? Our Suburban is already pretty packed so not sure what else I can get but I do need some other parts. May have to make a trip back depending on what I find.

Thanks for the help.
C.I.Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Mounting Front Bucket Seats

To my knowledge, the only bucket seats used for the 72 model year were the Sport type whereas 71 and earlier also made use of the base “utility” buckets. If yours is a 72 and you find another 72 with factory buckets they should fit your ride. Check the skirts for hidden rust though may not be a deal killer. Grab the floor bolts if possible (rear bolts for LH seat are longer than those for front). Going rate for sport buckets with brackets - $800 plus? Check advanced search for recent sales here.

Long list of other items to look for but any list would include CST rear panel chrome retaining strips, OEM seat belts, rear seat/brackets, below dash speaker, good hatch, door to pillar shims, and 72 rear bumper gravel shields. Items that are largely or exclusively K5-specific/not reproduced should be targeted.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
C.I.Blazer

Thanks Deadhead! My Blazer was titled as a 72 but according to the VIN it is a 71. Going to look at the parts this morning. If they are in decent shape I will pick them up. Figure I can make something work or, if needed, sell them.

Hope I can find some other interesting things.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #4
C.I.Blazer

Also, I have two RPO codes on the SPID related to the seats. One is 1A50AC - Bucket Seats and the other is 1670AJ - Black Bucket Vinyl. Any idea if this would indicate utility or sport buckets?
Old 07-31-2020, 10:58 AM   #5
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

I believe RPO A50 should be a "sport" bucket seat. RPO AN3 is the "utility" bucket. Good luck - let us know what shakes out.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
Old 07-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #6
lks dcvn

my 72 2wd Blazer had Utility Buckets (no back seat and AM/FM options) - so they are not just limited to 69-71 years.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
I believe RPO A50 should be a "sport" bucket seat. RPO AN3 is the "utility" bucket. Good luck - let us know what shakes out.

It's odd to imagine I agree - this topic was touched on in an old thread and at the time no one could come up with an example for 72. The AN3 RPO is listed for 72 so it seems like some would have been equipped as such.

Would be great to see photos of the seats/metal backs and SPID to dig further.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
john deere

Hi DeadheadNM

Look at post 163 in the do you have a plaid highlander blazer thread. That Blazer has one of each, and when i talked to the owner at that time he told me those were original. He said that he thought that Blazer had been ordered and used as a rural postal delivery vehicle, if i remember right in Grand Junction CO.
john deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #9
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by john deere View Post
Hi DeadheadNM

Look at post 163 in the do you have a plaid highlander blazer thread. That Blazer has one of each, and when i talked to the owner at that time he told me those were original. He said that he thought that Blazer had been ordered and used as a rural postal delivery vehicle, if i remember right in Grand Junction CO.
Thanks for the follow up. This post here?: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=163

These are both sport buckets to my eye with the driver seat recovered. Since the seat mounts differ I’d assume there are differing braces and therefore no possibility of a mix between them.

Old 07-31-2020, 08:16 PM   #10
john deere

Yes, thats the truck. I guess it does kind of look like sport buck foam under that. I was mostly just going by my conversation with the owner, saying they were different. Sorry, no help.
john deere is offline   Reply With Quote