The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #26
Livemeyer

Re: Steering column - I don't know what I'm doing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 View Post
I would suggest not leaving your wiring in the clamp like that. It will damage those wires.
I've used a bike innertube to cushion, and it's a non-moving part. It's only short-term anyway as I will be changing out the column soon.
Livemeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #27
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
Update:

I ordered and installed a NOS mast column bearing. Not entirely pleased as the steering wheel/column still has some play. Not as bad as before, but still, not great. This will get me by until winter when I do the steering column conversion. It's summer, and I have plans for the truck, want to drive it at least a little bit.

A while ago dsraven asked for pictures. These are of the steering column and box, but not of my newly installed mast column bearing.
Did you adjust the steering box for play?
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:59 PM   #28
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
Did you adjust the steering box for play?
I think you misunderstood what I meant. The steering shaft fits through the mast column bearing, but it was an easy fit. Like a pencil in a donut hole, there is still movement up-down, left-right. It's not a tight fit. A tight fit would keep the steering column from moving around. I was not referring to back-and-forth steering vagueness, which is undoubtedly an issue when driving (haven't driven the truck since installing the bearing).

However, I am unsure of how to adjust the steering box for play, as you are referring to.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:03 AM   #29
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livemeyer View Post
I've used a bike innertube to cushion, and it's a non-moving part. It's only short-term anyway as I will be changing out the column soon.
Oh and I forgot to mention, the bike innertube was also to take up some slack, when the clamp is fully tightened down around the column it doesn't really clamp on it fully. Maybe it's not the original column?
Old 08-14-2019, 12:28 AM   #30
mick53

There is an adjuster bolt and lock nut on the front/bottom on the steering box. It will have a straight slot screwdriver groove on the bolt. loosen the lock nut and tighten the bolt. Someone here can probably give you the exact procedure. It take the play out of the gear in the steering box.
https://www.chevytrucks.org/how-to-a...ering-gearbox/
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:07 AM   #31
Livemeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
There is an adjuster bolt and lock nut on the front/bottom on the steering box. It will have a straight slot screwdriver groove on the bolt. loosen the lock nut and tighten the bolt. Someone here can probably give you the exact procedure. It take the play out of the gear in the steering box.
https://www.chevytrucks.org/how-to-a...ering-gearbox/
I've had my truck down for about three weeks now doing various work on her. Going to take her for a drive tomorrow. I'll see how the steering responds. I might very well attempt this steering adjustment, could go a long way in tightening up road feel and keeping her driving straight. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #32
Livemeyer

When I took it for a drive I was expecting to feel any bit of play in the steering column mast bearing. I'm pleased to say it was not an issue anymore.