The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #1
eric8

Engine removal tips

Hey guys I'm looking for tips from those who have pulled an engine in these trucks. I've got a new 383 crate motor and I'm gonna swap out the tired 350. The truck is a 77 C10 with 3 speed manual. What is the best/easiest way to r&r the engine? Pull engine and tranny as one unit? Remove bellhousing bolts and leave tranny in place and just pull the engine? Remove tranny from bellhousing and pull the engine and bellhousing as one unit? Thanks for any help.
eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Engine removal tips

I don't have the room to do both at one time. I usually just pull engine with cherry picker. I have a ratchet strap under the tranny to hold it up. Sometimes I leave the jack under the tranny also. I loosen the trans mount nut/bolt and it normally gives enough movement that I don't have to remove the trans cross member. Its a lot easier when you are by yourself doing just the engine.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #3
Dead Parrot

I pulled the engine/trans combo. 350/TH350. Used it as an opportunity to take the trans to a shop and have seals replaced and things inspected. In your case, you might want to check the clutch/pressure plate. Good time to replace if either is worn.

If that 383 is a bunch stouter then the 350, might want to look at a heavy duty clutch setup.

Pull the distributor before pulling the old motor and install after the new motor is in place.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:23 PM   #4
kwmech

I pull the engine by itself. I remove the carb and the dist. I can get it out without removing the hood, exhaust manifold and all. I can do the same with my 69. It's tight, but it saves me from having to remove the hood by myself
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
MalibuSSwagon

I found pulling the core support made the r+r much easier.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
kipps

I'm in the camp of "tear it all apart." I would suggest pulling the transmission first, particularly if you're going to be replacing any seals. On the sm465 four-speed trucks, it's much easier to remove the transmission from the bellhousing first. I assume your column-shift three-speed is similar, but I can't guarantee that.

If it were me, I'd pull the trans, remove the core support, then pull the engine and bellhousing as a unit. Reverse the procedure for reinstall.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:19 PM   #7
eric8

Thanks for the tips. DeadParrot, when you pulled the engine/tranny as a unit, did you have to remove the core support to do so?
Old 03-13-2021, 01:06 AM   #8
Dead Parrot

Core support - no, radiator and shroud - yes, AC condenser coil - no.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
Gregski
Post Whore

having pulled the engine out of my '74 as a one man circus act numerous times, I would like to share a few stories in pics that you may find at least entertaining

tips, if doing inside, watch the placement of your truck in relation to the garage door opener, watch out for the garage door in the open position as well, go short on the chain as short as you can, get a cranky crank engine hoist balancer thingie the gray thing in the pics, worth every penny at Cardboard Freight. if you plan on doing it yourself, get a buddy to help you, LOL (swallow your pride, not worth the scratches and hang ups) wives, and ex wives or teenagers don't make for good helpers, beer drinkin' friends do

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...postcount=2807

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...postcount=6004

Last edited by Gregski; 03-13-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #10
eric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
having pulled the engine out of my '74 as a one man circus act numerous times, I would like to share a few stories in pics that you may find at least entertaining

tips, if doing inside, watch the placement of your truck in relation to the garage door opener, watch out for the garage door in the open position as well, go short on the chain as short as you can, get a cranky crank engine hoist balancer thingie the gray thing in the pics, worth every penny at Cardboard Freight. if you plan on doing it yourself, get a buddy to help you, LOL (swallow your pride, not worth the scratches and hang ups) wives, and ex wives or teenagers don't make for good helpers, beer drinkin' friends do

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...postcount=2807

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...postcount=6004

Core support outta the way looks MUCH easier!