The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #76
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: 1967 C-50 Dump truck Project

I uploaded my videos to YouTube then posted the link to my build thread.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #77
71'tahoe

Over the holiday I started working on replacing the brake lines and finished them up today. After a good soaking and some time I was able to get all 4 of the front bleeders loose. It was cold and wet today but I pushed through it. I was able to gravity bleed the front lines. The rears are rusted and they are currently soaking. Hopefully I'll get them loose and take the old girl for a short drive soon.
Attached Images

71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:32 PM   #78
Pvmt-Pndr

Looking good! Did you ever fix your axle u joint bracket? I have one that's also busted and I'm wondering if there is a place to get new from.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #79
71'tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
Looking good! Did you ever fix your axle u joint bracket? I have one that's also busted and I'm wondering if there is a place to get new from.

I did the axle saddle replaced. I bought them from a spring shop who I buy all my Peterbilt suspension parts from. They made new U bolts for me also. I can try to call them Monday and see if they have any more.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #80
Airdirect

Very impressive work! Looking good.
Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #81
71'tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdirect View Post
Very impressive work! Looking good.
Thanks! I got a ways to go but I'm making progress.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:23 PM   #82
71'tahoe

Here is a link to my YouTube channel with the video of the truck running. Pay no mind to the over spray on the engine mount and alternator and bracket. I'm going to change the alternator out for a 1 wire when I redo the wiring and install the HEI I picked up from a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6ZYaGWaoE8

Last edited by 71'tahoe; 12-05-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #83
C10 - C90 Bill

Looks and sounds good.

Great work on the Brake Lines by the way.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #84
71'tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10 - C90 Bill View Post
Looks and sounds good.

Great work on the Brake Lines by the way.
Thank you. I enjoy making brake lines. The engine runs pretty smooth. I don't have a clue on the miles but when I redid the valve cover it was clean inside the engine.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:08 PM   #85
71'tahoe

So I've been chipping away at the mechanical aspect of the truck. I got the brake lines done, the exhaust manifold and exhaust finished, got the heater working, and the blower motor running. One of the last things I needed/wanted to do before the first test drive was getting the wipers working.

A lot of things on this truck was farm fixed. Meaning if it could be fixed with what was around the farm,that how it was fixed. This of course is speculation.. but it sounds about right with what I have undone in the last few weeks.

For instance, The wiper switch is long gone and a toggle switch was used in it's place,same goes for the heater switch. Under the dash is a rats nest of wires. Most of which are the 4 wire combo of white,brown,yellow,and green found on most standard trailer wiring. I cut most of it out and also did away with all the toggle switches.

This was when I found out partly why the wiper motor wasn't working..

The mount has completely rusted away. So I will be on the hunt for a donor cab to get a wiper motor mount to weld back into place.

A little refresher on the plan may be in order here. So when I started this thread I spoke about the roughness of the body. I also went out to Kansas and bought a real decent body. My current plan is to try and make this truck usable so I can use it this winter, meaning I need to get as many of the necessities fixed while I redo parts of the new body and prepare it for the swap. Which I hope will be in the spring time. In the mean time I am trying to keep the truck together but it has proven to be some what difficult when I keep running into other issues.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #86
71'tahoe

So...Plans change from time to time and the winds of change are happening now. As I was working on the truck today at lunch,It became apparent that this cab is in need of more work than it is worth. See attached photos.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #87
71'tahoe

and more rot.. got to love Ohio!
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #88
71'tahoe

So with the said cab being so bad.. I will be moving forward with what we call the Kansas cab..only because it came from Kansas. So I got it in the shop today and started removing the unneeded parts.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #89
71'tahoe

More photos. If anyone could use any of the air brake stuff let me know. I won't be throwing it away but will let it go if someone could use it. I'm going to get a few more photos later. I've got a good start on getting the cab stripped. I will be patching the floor and the bottoms of the cowl panels. More photos to come.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #90
Madkidd007

Good lord is all I can think to say. Well that and I’m curious how the air brake stuff was hooked up on the inside as I’ve never seen one.
Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #91
Pvmt-Pndr

I think you made the right call. I was building a 52 willys truck that wasn't that bad but it was bad. I had a ton of time into that, too much.

Is that a hornets nest or a bunch of goop someone smeared in there?

If no one jumps on the air brake parts, I'll take them. I don't have a need for them so I'll wait and see if anyone actually needs them.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #92
71'tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkidd007 View Post
Good lord is all I can think to say. Well that and I’m curious how the air brake stuff was hooked up on the inside as I’ve never seen one.
Well the brake pedals(well the brake & clutch pedal assembly is about the same as the gas/vacuum booster set up. The brake pedal uses a push rod just as the gas truck does. So it's very similar. After I disassembled it I almost wanted to keep it as it was and figure out how the whole system worked. The I thought I'd better go back to vacuum or hydroboost so anyone with out a cdl license could drive it.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #93
71'tahoe

Quote:
I think you made the right call. I was building a 52 willys truck that wasn't that bad but it was bad. I had a ton of time into that, too much.

Is that a hornets nest or a bunch of goop someone smeared in there?

If no one jumps on the air brake parts, I'll take them. I don't have a need for them so I'll wait and see if anyone actually needs them.
Thanks, i had been going back and forth about it. After I got the brakes working and rewired the blower motor I was getting excited to drive it for the first time. The I wanted to get the wipers fixed..that's when all the rust issues really started showing how bad they were. So now it's time to get the Kansas cab ready.

It comes at a bad time as I am trying to finalize some suspension and chassis stuff so I can start marketing the products. That's how it goes. If no one wants the air brake parts I'll keep you in mind. I kinda want to mess with them a little just to see how it works compared to my 379 peterbilt.

here is the spring plate number. I'm not sure if it'll work for you but when you call the spring shop it may help.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 09:40 PM   #94
71'tahoe

Here is a few more of the Kansas cab stripped. I believe I want to add A/C to this truck. That means I need to call Vintage Air and order a kit. I have already talked to them several times about this project and I can order pieces separately. I would only need the under dash unit for now so I could move forward with finishing the fire wall. I know in the basic C/10 kit they use a composite firewall cover. I would want to weld the firewall instead of using a cover. Now I could just got ahead and "shave" the firewall and worry about the holes later but I would rather do it now while i'm body working the cab and not have to go back later. I'm also thinking about a tilt steering column with a factory steering wheel. I've already talked to Ididit about what column would be best for this application. I'm trying to stay one step ahead on the planning.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 09:44 PM   #95
71'tahoe

I do have some rust issues to fix before shes ready for the blasters. Does anyone know of a screen that will fit over the cowl area of these trucks? Seems the bottom of the cowl area collects a lot of dirt and debris. I don't want this to happen again. Over all the cab is in decent shape.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #96
71'tahoe

I will need to weld up this hole. It is where the brake pedal assembly support goes.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #97
Pvmt-Pndr

Thanks for the picture!

The rust on the Kansas cab vs the original is a cake walk. Are the floors pitted real bad or is it just surface rust? Either way you'll have it ready in no time vs the original.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #98
71'tahoe

Quote:
Thanks for the picture!

The rust on the Kansas cab vs the original is a cake walk. Are the floors pitted real bad or is it just surface rust? Either way you'll have it ready in no time vs the original.
Yes Sir. It wont take a lot of work to get it ready. As far as the floors go,There is some deep pits but the edge where the door seals go is rusted so they will need repaired. I'll try to get some better photos today. I think I can replace the outer edge of the floor where it meets the rocker. Very minimal rust issues which is why I took the 13 hour trip to Kansas to get the cab and front end.
Once the floors are solid I'll roll the cab on its back and have the bottom of the cab bed lined. I have heard good things about the Upol Raptor liner but I will also consult with the local Linex dealer.

My next thing is do I do a hydro-boost system (I have 3 units from 79',95' and 03' trucks) I know my 292 doesn't have a power steering set up so getting juice to the booster will be/is an issue. This is where things get difficult because I'm in the build stage now instead of "just get it running" stage. Meaning,now is the time to plan my work and work my plan. It will just cost more and take more time. I don't want to go backwards so I'll probably go ahead and mount the hydro-boost and for now block off the ports for the power steering lines. Or I could add power steering pump and use it solely for the brake system. That may be a better idea. I'm still kicking around the idea of a 12 valve Cummins engine with an Eaton 6 speed. I'm rethinking the 316/3126 cat engine idea. I am really getting into the 292 and may end up using it for an old Chevy truck or something along those lines. That is still up in the air. Depends on what I find. The end go has always been to have a workable truck I can use.
Old 12-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #99
Madkidd007

I personally would suggest the square body unit, drill 2 holes in the mounting plate and bolt it up. That’s what’s on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'tahoe View Post
Yes Sir. It wont take a lot of work to get it ready. As far as the floors go,There is some deep pits but the edge where the door seals go is rusted so they will need repaired. I'll try to get some better photos today. I think I can replace the outer edge of the floor where it meets the rocker. Very minimal rust issues which is why I took the 13 hour trip to Kansas to get the cab and front end.
Once the floors are solid I'll roll the cab on its back and have the bottom of the cab bed lined. I have heard good things about the Upol Raptor liner but I will also consult with the local Linex dealer.

My next thing is do I do a hydro-boost system (I have 3 units from 79',95' and 03' trucks) I know my 292 doesn't have a power steering set up so getting juice to the booster will be/is an issue. This is where things get difficult because I'm in the build stage now instead of "just get it running" stage. Meaning,now is the time to plan my work and work my plan. It will just cost more and take more time. I don't want to go backwards so I'll probably go ahead and mount the hydro-boost and for now block off the ports for the power steering lines. Or I could add power steering pump and use it solely for the brake system. That may be a better idea. I'm still kicking around the idea of a 12 valve Cummins engine with an Eaton 6 speed. I'm rethinking the 316/3126 cat engine idea. I am really getting into the 292 and may end up using it for an old Chevy truck or something along those lines. That is still up in the air. Depends on what I find. The end go has always been to have a workable truck I can use.
Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com

Last edited by Madkidd007; 12-12-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #100
71'tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkidd007 View Post
I personally would suggest the square body unit, drill 2 holes in the mounting plate and bolt it up.
That sounds like a good way of thinking. I'll post up photos of the various ones. I was thinking the 03' would work better but I'll compare all of them. Thanks for the thoughts.