The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2007, 05:08 PM   #51
SCOTI

Re: Shock Relocation

You need a spacer & you need the proper 'shock' washers. Shock washers are the same O.D. as the bushing & are cupped similarly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:56 PM   #52
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tahoe View Post
You may need to have assemble one with a 2 1/2" shoulder or at that angle the bigger washer may hit the shock before it gets tight. A 1/2"x5" grade 8 bolt through a 2 1/2" long spacer might work but I wouldn't guarantee it would last very long. No cut-off pipe. You would want the hole just big enough for the bolt to go through and 90deg ends. This is not my recommendation but just some thoughts. Maybe it will spark an idea from someone else.
Attachment 264712
Also you will probably need an insert for the lower eye of the shock to give the washer a shoulder to tighten against.
I actually have the spacer inside the shock bushing just like your diagram.
When I nistalled the shock, the holding wire came lose, and the shocks extended, so after mounting the top of the shock, I had to force the bottom of the shock with a jack to get it up to mount the screw in the shock hole.
Just a thought if thats the cause of my problems.
VDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #53
70c10
67-72 Addict!

VDOG, I feel for ya having to go thru all this BS just to get your shocks installed!. I hope you get it all worked out soon.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #54
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

jeez sorry to hear of your troubles.
I'm really starting to think that CPP is a good company to avoid buying from.First with the tubular control arms and now this.
Really hope you get it figured out soon.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:54 PM   #55
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70c10 View Post
VDOG, I feel for ya having to go thru all this BS just to get your shocks installed!. I hope you get it all worked out soon.
Thanks 70C10, I will get back to work on the truck tomorrow and I will have a few more pictures to post. Plan on reinstalling the shocks and changing axles tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:55 PM   #56
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie396 View Post
jeez sorry to hear of your troubles.
I'm really starting to think that CPP is a good company to avoid buying from.First with the tubular control arms and now this.
Really hope you get it figured out soon.
Rollie tell me about the tubular control arms, I did not hear who had the problem?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #57
SCOTI

All gas shocks are a pain to install. The trick is to compress them farther than necessary & then as they extend back to full length, stab them in the hole (or on the stud.... some really high pressure gas shocks are worse than others).

Vdog, there should be a spacer that's roughly .50 ~.75" thick between the shock grommet & the lower shock bracket . It should be pretty big too diameter wise. In the diagram 71tahoe posted, it looks like the spacer you're talking about is the shock grommets 'sleeve'.

If you don't have an actual spacer, use a nut w/a large washer.

I had to space my lower shock eye over & used the nut/washer combo. I can get some pics tomorrow if there's confusion.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #58
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
Rollie tell me about the tubular control arms, I did not hear who had the problem?
The problem is that apparently only select upper ball joints seem to fit w/o modifications.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-04-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:03 AM   #59
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

^ what he said.I don't recall the name of the fella but there is a thread about it in the suspension forum.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #60
huero
1969 Short, Fleet, and Beat

Hey guys, this one has me scratching my head. We dropped my buddies 72 SWB Super Chayenne and we did not use the shock relocation kit. All we did was put in 4" dropped coils and the 4" drop shock (same brand as he is useing duestech? pardon the spelling) and we had no alignment problem with the shocks or the axle. We used the stock panhard bar.
I am starting to think if these extra parts are even needed?
huero.
huero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #61
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by huero View Post
Hey guys, this one has me scratching my head. We dropped my buddies 72 SWB Super Chayenne and we did not use the shock relocation kit. All we did was put in 4" dropped coils and the 4" drop shock (same brand as he is useing duestech? pardon the spelling) and we had no alignment problem with the shocks or the axle. We used the stock panhard bar.
I am starting to think if these extra parts are even needed?
huero.
Relocating the shocks (technically you're not relocating anything... you're just changing the location of the holes for the shocks in the brackets) isn't necessary w/a 4" drop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #62
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Relocating the shocks (technically you're not relocating anything... you're just changing the location of the holes for the shocks in the brackets) isn't necessary w/a 4" drop.
Im wondering about that, maybe I should just go back to the stock mounts.
Did not get a chance to work on my truck this weekend. Probably today I will get started.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 PM   #63
estig70

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDOG View Post
I think the shock spacers on first picture is what I need at the bottom of the shock. CPP shocks have very small washers so there is nothing to stop the shock bushing from moving.
the problem is not the bushing moving, as you can tell from the picture it is perpindicular to the mount. your problem is the shock is not is not mounted on the lower mount in line with the top mount. as stated before you need to space out the bottom of the shock to match the top using a lower mounting stud or nut and washer to get the right affect.
estig70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #64
vfrdude

The relocation kits do relocate the shocks - it repositions the shock at a more upright angle, allowing the shock to work as it was designed. I noticed a much improved ride after installing the kit on my truck which has a 4" rear drop. As the truck is lowered, the angle of the rear shocks moves more toward horizontal. This causes the shock to not move thru it's stroke as much, and thus is not able to dampen as it should.

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM   #65
hiridn69gmc

Have you gotten the issue resolved yet? I feel for you, I just put the 5" drop kit from ECE in and it went pretty quick and simple. But I know from past projects how one little issue can turn into a huge headache of issues. Hope you've figured it out.
2003 Grand Prix
hiridn69gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:29 PM   #66
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiridn69gmc View Post
Have you gotten the issue resolved yet? I feel for you, I just put the 5" drop kit from ECE in and it went pretty quick and simple. But I know from past projects how one little issue can turn into a huge headache of issues. Hope you've figured it out.
My plan is to work on it tomorrow (Tuesday) while my car is in the shop.
Weekend was shot to heck and could not get anything done. Will post pictures of progess tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #67
71tahoe

If you haven't found anything yet, this may work. At least give better geometry than what you have and it's made sturdy enough for coilovers.
Speedway Motors
http://www.speedwaymotors.com
Name:  916-36010_R.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  4.0 KB
91636010-PLN
Aluminum Coilover Mount Support, Plain
$10.95 EA

Last edited by 71tahoe; 06-01-2007 at 09:34 AM.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #68
VDOG
Grand PooBaa Member

How do you align or center the rearend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock35ipsc View Post
There are definately some difference here, but nothing is jumping out at me right now except for the rear end not being centeres. VDOG, some pics of the left side would tell us a bunch.

Also VDOG, who made your kit? And how much is your truck lowered in the rear?